Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

CONFIRMED: Sessler doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. "Bros Before Hos" controversy revealed.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 134 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2013 8:49:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 9:11:08 AM PDT
Cinema Fan says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgjdeX9ejs

Here is the video of the controversial "Bros Before Hos" battle in God of War: Ascension.

EDIT: SPOILERS AHEAD

As seen in the video: yes, Kratos DOES footstomp a Furies soldiers face in, however, it does not kill her. He kills her by impaling her. THEN Orkos saves Kratos from one of the furies before he gets killed and Orkos alliances himself with Kratos INSTEAD of his mother.

The "Bros before Hos" trophy is received when Orkos gives his Oath Stone to Kratos and thus is referring to Orkos' change in alliance rather than "lol Kratos killed a woman."
End spoiler

The trophy in no way, shape or form condemns Kratos as a sexist pig and should not be seen as such.

Thank You Sessler and all the oversensitive babies of the world for making a big deal over nothing.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:52:48 AM PDT
Aku says:
It's kinda funny because GoW3 had a trophy that was more sexist. Something about guiding a topless chick through an area, and your achievement turns out to be you didn't bother to bang her.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 9:04:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 9:05:16 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
Sessler never condemned Kratos as a sexist pig. He condemned the developers for making a tasteless fratboy joke after brutalizing a woman, and nothing in your post really disputes that.

I haven't played the game, so I have no idea if I agree with his criticism or not. But if I do end up disagreeing with him, it'll be for things he actually said and not just because I'm a console fanboy who needs to lash out because one his exclusives is getting middling reviews.

Also, thanks for the spoiler.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 9:09:59 AM PDT
Cinema Fan says:
Don't really care about the reviews, I know it's a great game, and I'm looking forward to picking up the collector's edition Tuesday morning. I'm just chastising a so-called "professional" game critic who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 9:15:05 AM PDT
cab0218 says:
This is not the first time a company that he worked for dropped the score of a game due to a trophy or achievement. When he worked for G4 they dropped the score of Alan Wake because of all the stuff you had to collect for an achievement and called it pointless. Since when did achievements go into actually reviewing a game?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 9:26:43 AM PDT
Aku says:
...What? That video and his summary not only disputes Sessler's "point," it tears it a new a-hole.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 9:38:12 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 10, 2013 1:33:30 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 9:41:40 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/30835/alan-wake/review/

Aside from the fact that Adam Sessler didn't write the Alan Wake review, it leveled other criticisms against the game besides pointless collectibles. Those criticisms include clunky controls and plot elements that don't pay off. I don't really agree with those criticisms. I think Alan Wake controls just fine and the cliffhanger plot makes sense for the genre.

... See, Cinema Fan. That is what it looks like when you disagree with something that was actually said and not with what some other guy on the internet paraphrased.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 9:47:07 AM PDT
Cinema Fan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:11:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 11:15:12 AM PDT
Subject7 says:
God of War: Ascension Bros before Hos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgjdeX9ejs

Literally the first words out of my mouth were "That's it?".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 11:15:21 AM PDT
Awesome argument there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 11:16:19 AM PDT
Okay, yeah.

That had nothing to do with stomping her face in.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 12:02:45 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Haha. Wow. First of all, GoW has had way more violence than that fury death scene had. As for the trophy, I figured something was off when Sessler linked "Bros before Hos" to the killing of the fury. That just didn't make sense to me since that phrase doesn't have anything to do with violence against anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 12:31:18 PM PDT
Carlito says:
Haha, talk about making a big deal over nothing. It was a very good review, and while I also disagree with the amount of anger he had towards that part, it is in fact frat boy bro humor...but that, along with Gears of War, is what makes the series fun...but really, who cares? Sessler thought it was misogynistic, you don't...big deal. I recommend you purchase some desitin, it'll help the butt hurt of yours.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 3:42:26 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
Wow, that wasn't near as bad as Sessler made it out to be anyways 1 stomp...

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 3:46:14 PM PDT
I.Flores says:
Facestomping a hologram passes off as a controversy these days?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 3:50:09 PM PDT
Peter says:
So...if you havent played the game, how do you know he is wrong? Perhaps it is you that is over sensitive and not Sessler.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 3:52:23 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 3:56:30 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
Don't worry, GTA V will be out before long

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 3:58:49 PM PDT
Cinema Fan says:
Because I posted the video of the moment where you get the trophy.......

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 4:08:12 PM PDT
So, this doesn't really change his argument.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 4:47:36 PM PDT
I think it makes his argument invalid. It's not that "bros before hos" is any less obnoxious. But the trophy is not awarded for killing the fury. In fact, the trophy doesn't even refer to anything that Kratos does.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 4:49:50 PM PDT
Cinema Fan says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 6:22:12 PM PDT
waxc3 says:
Lol he knows so much more than you have ever revealed to us mister.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 6:40:34 PM PDT
I was worried that Sony wouldn't get defended in this case, thank gods we can all rest easy now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  134
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions