Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Puerto Ricans opt for statehood in referendum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 12:29:32 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
http://t.news.msn.com/politics/puerto-ricans-opt-for-statehood-in-referendum?ocid=ansnews11

By BEN FOX

Congress would have to approve the non-binding referendum.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Ricans have endorsed U.S. statehood for the Caribbean island but also ousted the pro-statehood governor in a close election.

Gov. Luis Fortuno conceded defeat Wednesday to his main challenger after concluding there were not enough outstanding ballots to close the gap with his main challenger, Alejandro Garcia Padilla. The margin in Tuesday's vote was less than 1 percent.

"Now it's time for us to come together as one people. The campaign is over," Fortuno said in a news conference.

Fortuno, as a member of the pro-statehood New Progressive Party, said he was pleased that 61 percent of voters endorsed becoming a U.S. state, though critics said the two-part ballot was confusing to many and would not be enough to persuade the Congress to accept Puerto Rico into the union.

Fortuno, who is also a Republican, was a supporter of U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney and campaigned for him in Florida.

Garcia is part of the Popular Democratic Party, which wants Puerto Rico to remain semi-autonomous U.S. commonwealth.

The two-part referendum asked whether the island wanted to change its 114-year relationship with the United States. Nearly 54 percent, or 922,374 people, sought to change it, while 46 percent, or 786,749 people, favored the status quo. Ninety-six percent of 1,643 precincts were reporting as of early Wednesday.

The second question asked voters to choose from three options, with statehood by far the favorite, garnering 61 percent. Sovereign free association, which would have allowed for more autonomy, received 33 percent, while independence got 5 percent.

President Barack Obama earlier expressed support for the referendum and pledged to respect the will of the people in the event of a clear majority.

Fortuno and Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi, the island's representative in Congress, said the results of the referendum will be delivered to the Obama administration and the leadership in Congress with the hope that they will back the bid for statehood.

"The ball is now in Congress' court and Congress will have to react to this result," Pierluisi, a member of the pro-statehood party who was re-elected Tuesday. "This is a clear result that says 'no' to the current status."

The island is currently a U.S. territory whose inhabitants are U.S. citizens but are prohibited from voting in presidential elections. Its resident commissioner in the U.S. House also has limited voting powers.

Garcia celebrated his victory with supporters at party headquarters.

"I can assure you we have rescued Puerto Rico," Garcia said. "This is a lesson to those who think that the well-being of Puerto Ricans should be subjected to ideologies."

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:33:04 PM PST
DVvM says:
I hope "50 is a nice number" doesn't make people oppose this.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:33:34 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
50 is a nice round number. We don't need 51.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:37:24 PM PST
DVvM says:
There may be valid reasons to oppose welcoming Puerto Rico into the U.S., but "the aesthetics of numbers" is not one of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:38:50 PM PST
and to those concerned about the flag it still looks good with 51.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_flag_51_stars.svg

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:40:36 PM PST
R. J. Gutt says:
Guam?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:41:17 PM PST
Meth Panther says:
What! That's all topsy turvy! My world's upside down!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:42:04 PM PST
Kin-foot says:
Invade Canada and divide that up until we get a nice round 60 states ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:42:57 PM PST
If we're doing that we might as well shoot for 69.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:43:31 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
What are some of the possibly valid reasons to be against it? Seems like a great thing to me, but I'm ill-informed on the ins-and-outs of what exactly this would entail.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:43:32 PM PST
SMH says:
I'm opening a flag making company if this happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:44:08 PM PST
FOGE says:
China makes them cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:44:24 PM PST
SMH says:
We can just have South America and the USA. Let's just go up and down all the way to the border.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:44:47 PM PST
SMH says:
Touche.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:45:46 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Fortuno was supposedly a great govenor, sorry to see him go.

Also, I'm down with PR joining the union.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:47:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 12:49:42 PM PST
DVvM says:
I haven't looked into it much, but plausibly it might be somewhat expensive?

I'm not against it, I just said that there might be valid reasons to oppose it, not that there are.

But "I like this number better than that one" is a stupid reason to oppose anybody becoming American Citizens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:51:38 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Yeah, I didn't assume you were against it, just thought you might have some extra info about it. You are often a wellspring of information, after all. :D

I'm going to punch my local representative if he votes against this. He's a cousin of mine, so I can totally do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:04:11 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
They already are American Citizens. So are people living in Guam.

From the article:

"The island is currently a U.S. territory whose inhabitants are U.S. citizens but are prohibited from voting in presidential elections."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:17:45 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Do you think that my post, directly after yours, and similar in tone is anything but a joke?

This board has taken a turn for the serious. Everyone needs to lighten up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:22:13 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Probably time to make a rage quitting thread again.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:24:54 PM PST
Junkiiiii says:
Yes we are American Citizens by birth. I don't know too much of the Puerto Rican politics since I've been in the US since the age of nine but what's this about not being able to vote for a president? I could swear I've done so. Maybe because I've lived here for so long now?

I don't bother with politics too much. Can you tell?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:25:11 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm not raging. Just seems that people are taking this forum too seriously these days. I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking that anyone would care whether I stopped perusing this forum or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:26:09 PM PST
Junkiiiii says:
racist

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:34:30 PM PST
Kr155 says:
It might be just as frivilous, but i kinda think it would be cool to know I was alive when our country added another state.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:01:28 PM PST
I'd care, Foxy. Who else would we have to make predictably anti-religious comments without any prompting when you left?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition thread 503 1 minute ago
VGF Theory: Flores, Cinema Fan, Dougie(and his alts) actually work for Microsoft. 22 2 minutes ago
OT: This is the story, of a lovely thread, with 10,000 very lovely posts. All of them had words of fun, like the last one, the first one with downvotes! 8606 3 minutes ago
Diablo 2.1 patch tomorrow! 142 4 minutes ago
EA Sports under fire for sexist selfies in NHL 15 2 23 minutes ago
Weekend Gaming 8/29 - 8/31 106 25 minutes ago
Debut trailer for Firewatch, first-person adventure game set in Wyoming wilderness 3 35 minutes ago
Double Fine's new game Massive Chalice looks superb. Developer Brad Muir sits down with Giant Bomb in this PAX demo walkthrough. 0 36 minutes ago
I Just Pre-Ordered 8 Amiibos... 28 42 minutes ago
Drive Club Beta Screenshots Reveal Graphical Downgrade 22 42 minutes ago
MIA*² 3526 44 minutes ago
Final Fantasy Box set (redesigned strat guides for FFVII,VIII,IX) 14 52 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions