Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Rumor: The Phantom Pain is Metal Gear Solid Vita?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2012 7:45:44 AM PST
Kin-foot says:

During the Spike VGAs, a new game was debuted called The Phantom Pain. Since then information surrounding the game has come out revealing that the trailer, game and fictional studio, Moby Dick was all masterminded by Hideo Kojima.

According to the current issue of Famitsu, the magazine revealed that a surprise announcement will be revealed in the next issue on December 20th related to the Metal Gear Solid franchise. Considering the trailer shown at the VGAs, more than likely the reveal in the next issue of Famitsu is related to The Phantom Pain.

During the title screen of The Phantom Pain trailer, the words Metal Gear Solid V flashes quickly. Many have speculated that the trailer could be for MGS 5, the next iteration after MGS 4.

However, Push Start Select speculates that the "V" is not the number "5" but in fact a letter which may stand for the Vita. The site also points out that the official screenshots provided by Konami oddly come in 960 x 544 resolution, which is the same resolution of the PS Vita. This is in contrast to the official screenshots from Konami for MGS: Ground Zeroes, which come in the standard resolution of 1280 x 720.

Previously, Kojima indicated that the next title he is working on will have Transferring functionality between the PS Vita and PS3.

On the official Moby Dick Studio page, this is what is written about the studio:

Moby Dick Studio is a game developing company operating out of Stockholm, Sweden. Moby Dick Studio was founded by CEO Joakim Mogren who after years of working for a major American developer brought together people out of various game studios from around the Scandinavian area to start something new.

Our goal is to deliver an uncompromising, exciting and touching game experience to people all around the globe.

As revealed earlier this week, "Joakim" is an anagram for Kojima and "Mogren" contains the word "Ogre," which may have something to do with Project Ogre.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:50:59 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Makes sense. I was wondering why Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain would be teased at the same time if they are two different projects.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:52:36 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Well this would be really smart of Sony to try getting a MGS game on the Vita that is new and not just a remake.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:53:23 AM PST
If Phantom Pain is MGS:Vita and that was all in-game footage, I'll take two.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:56:16 AM PST
That would go against what was said about the trailer being done in a current gen engine and that it was "in game" graphics. I love my Vita but there's no way that was Vita graphics. Who knows though. We're talking about rumors of rumors of rumors.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:57:44 AM PST
Metal gear vital?d00med! But this game was already announced for ps3 and Xbox 360

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:58:27 AM PST
meta Tron says:
I'd buy a Vita if this was the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:59:07 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Were the graphics really good? I haven't actually seen the video yet so I have no idea.

And it's a fact that game developers have only been able to use 25% of the Vita's power so far...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:00:23 AM PST
They were really good. I don't know about any percentages. I must have not read that fact. Beats me.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:00:37 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Has there ever been a platform that survived solely on hype and rumors?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:03:10 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 12, 2012 8:18:59 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:03:48 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
If this happened and then the Bioshock game gets made, I would say the Vita could have way greener pastures ahead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:05:16 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
True...assuming the Bioshock game is good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:08:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 8:08:46 AM PST
Where? It was stated by the devs that it was running on "current gen hardware".

There were reports it was PS3 hardware. Other devs stated PS3 games could easily be ported to the Vita with a few minor adjustments.

Those screens look gorgeous and are running in a Vita resolution. I have hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:10:51 AM PST
Not necessarily. They never publicly stated it was the Fox Engine, but they did say it was in real time on current gen hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:12:43 AM PST
No I know .. I'm just making assumptions based on what I think the Vita is capable of. I certainly could be wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:14:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 8:14:39 AM PST
I hope we're both wrong, hehe.

My mind would be blown if they pull that off.

What if that trailer was running on the Vita? Not that I think that's the "current gen hardware" they spoke of, but it would certainly be a surprise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:14:53 AM PST
I would LOVE to be wrong. I mean either way I'm stoked. Whether it's on the Vita or not.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:45:30 AM PST
I would love it if this were on the Vita. Finally 2 games (Persona 4 Golden being the other) that make it worthwhile to purchase.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:55:52 AM PST
I'd be really surprised if this turned out to be a Vita game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:05:35 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Here's hoping they do a Vita bundle like they did with Peace Walker.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:07:54 AM PST
JWK says:
I thought that "Moby Dick Studios" said that Phantom Pain was running on a PS3. I could see it being on both PS360 *AND* the Vita. But the VGA trailer was in-engine. There's no way the Vita is getting the quality of visuals shown in that trailer.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:10:42 PM PST
Tango Mike says:
I think this game will be on Vita with the transfarring capability, the screenshots were released on some places in the 960x544 resolution, but on the moby dick studios site, they are in 720P. They also never used Roman numerals in any MGS game of the past, which is cause for wonder. We will have to wait for the new Famitsu magazine on December 20th for more info. Also worth noting is most of the trailer is very dark, which means they can use lots of tricks to make the visuals look better with less strain on the handheld format. Who knows, we just have to play the Phantom Pain-ful waiting game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:20:22 PM PST
John McClane says:
You seriously thought that was in-game footage lol?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Is Owning An PS4 More Like Being in Pre-K, Prison or a nasty and disgusting homeless shelter? 8 30 minutes ago
OT: What Are You Listening To-2015 Version! 1008 38 minutes ago
Amazon Black Friday Deals/Lightning Deals Thread 93 49 minutes ago
OT: Worst Rapper Ever-Lafear 7 52 minutes ago
Packers Had Players-Only Meeting Over Excessive Video Game Playing 0 1 hour ago
Target's Top 3 items Sold online during Thanksgiving were, Ipad, Apple Watch and Wii U 22 1 hour ago
Is Owning An Xbox One More Like Being in Daycare or Prison 107 1 hour ago
Smoking a turkey 62 1 hour ago
OT: Three killed, nine injured in attack on Colorado abortion clinic 13 1 hour ago
Halo 5 MP is pretty.... 1 1 hour ago
Weekly Worldwide Hardware Chart 14th November 2015. PS4 Continues To Outsell Xbox One Almost 2 To 1! 24 2 hours ago
Bloodborne's The Old Hunters DLC Will Kick Your [tuchas] 147 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions