Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Skyrim GOTY edition?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2012 4:59:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 5:00:02 PM PST
Right. So every time a Bethesda game comes out, I tell myself I'll wait until the GOTY edition comes out before buying it, and I can never hold out.

So this time, with Skyrim, I've waited longer than any previous attempt, but now it's on sale for $25, and I'm seconds from pulling the trigger and blowing it yet again.

My question is this: has there been a release date set for the GOTY edition (or even an announcement that there will be one)?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 5:03:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 5:06:31 PM PST
No.

I would guess sometime late next year seeing as how there is new DLC coming out on December 4th and I'm sure there will be more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 5:03:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 5:10:21 PM PST
DVvM says:
There will be no announcement that there will be one other than the "here's the release date for it" and they will not announce the GotY edition until they say they are done with DLC. The third DLC pack has been announced but not released yet. There will most likely be four or five before all is said and done. The 3 announced or released DLC packs would set you back $45 all told.

I would not expect a Skyrim GotY edition before Hoilday 2013 or Spring 2014, but there almost certainly will be one.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 5:04:47 PM PST
Gah! Okay, I can't wait that long. Looks like $25 will be the sweet spot.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 5:28:56 PM PST
JJ4prez says:
We have DLC coming Dec 4th with other DLC hitting next year sometime. They are far from done with Skyrim.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:45:24 PM PST
I just buy these at launch and then buy the GOTY Edition when they drop to $20 or less. Did it with Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands, etc. DLC can usually wait for a bargain, but the main course cannot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:47:01 PM PST
DVvM says:
It's actually really easy (for me at least) to not buy Skyrim now that the people who bought it at launch are done playing it/talking about it.

So once you get past the initial hype period, it's not hard to wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:52:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 6:53:27 PM PST
I was actually in the same boat and just decided to grab it for the $25...I figured that the retail new copies wouldn't dip below $20 pretty much for at least a few more months and that a GOTY version probably wasn't due out for at least until next spring as they're still releasing DLC(?)...and I didn't want to wait that long.

Played about an hour last night and was pretty impressed. The graphics were more glossier and defined than Oblivion for sure and the little bit of battles I fought were alright. It kinda just seems like an Oblivion 2.0 but hey that's fine with me. I love these games.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 8:26:10 PM PST
Yeah, I bought it about 5 minutes after starting this thread. ;-P I don't know why the hell I even worry about it. I have never played any of the DLC content for any of the other games, and I haven't even beat the main story of Oblivion *or* New Vegas yet. I guess I'm just neurotic that way.

But yeah, I picked it up. $25 seems to be the lowest it's going for BF, so I can't imagine it'll go any lower than that for at least a little longer.

Picked up Uncharted 3 and Sly collection too. I always feel bad buying myself stuff around this time of year, but no one ever gets me video games for Christmas.

Thanks for the help!

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 8:37:24 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
$25 is a good price for the vanilla version. I just bought it for the third time so I could try it out on Xbox. PC was definitely greater than the PS3 version, even without the mods (of which there are many great ones). I'm curious to see how the Xbox version stacks up against the other two.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 7:13:46 AM PST
Yeah, i went with the xbox version, mostly because my xbox is in the bedroom, and the ps3 is in the living room (and this is the sort of game I like to play into the night. But I also heard there were some glitches with the PS3 version.

I always feel like I'm missing out when I don't get the PC version, but (even with my new computer that I just built myself), I don't have a gaming computer (no GPU), so I tend to avoid PC games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:14:34 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
I would never agree except for skyrim right now the PS3 has no access to any of the DLC because the PS3 cannot run it at the moment

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 7:19:53 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I bought the 360 version when it first came out and played it extensively. Since then I bought a gaming PC and picked up the PC version yesterday on sale through Green Man Gaming. If anyone else is in the same situation you can transfer your 360 save to the PC version and vice versa. All it requires is a thumb drive and downloading a free program called Modio. The entire process takes a few minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:20:19 AM PST
You would never agree with that I heard the PS3 version was glitchy? Thats okay, I mean, I didn't state it as fact or anything. I didn't even bother researching it. Mainly because, like I said, I wanted it for the 360 because of the bedroom placement of that console.

I've actually played every single other Bethesda game on my PS3 with no problems.

That does suck about the DLC though, but I guess they'll get it fixed soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:24:37 AM PST
Awesome, thanks for the hint!

The computer I just built would be a fine gaming PC; really all I need is to add a GPU. I'm just sorta cheap, and since I have the PS3 and 360, I figured I'd save the money. I may eventually add a GPU in though, if I could find a good performer for cheap. This is my new PC setup:

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
MSI Z77A-G43
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
LG DVD Burner Model GH24NS90 - OEM
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD SH103S3/120G
Antec VP-450 450W
500GB WD HDD (from old computer)
Dual boot Win7 and Linux Mint.

Came to $445.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:26:27 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Since you did buy it, I'd like to say the DLC they have for it is well worth it, especially Dawnguard. The Hearthfire DLC less so, it mostly allows you to design your own houses, but also adds armor/weapons.

Now if you're only getting one piece of DLC for this game, get the upcoming Dragonborn DLC. Dragon mounts. Nuff said.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:29:09 AM PST
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I may buy the DLC separately this time around. We'll see how long the main mission takes me. ;-P

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:30:49 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Since it's your first time, i'd do the main quest first for the shout powers. While you're doing that make sure you join either the stormcloaks or the legion because it adds to the main story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:38:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 7:39:21 AM PST
Anthony says:
honestly, at this point i'm debating just grabbing the damn game myself. i had no problem waiting for oblivion, and morrowind already had a GOTY edition out by the time i heard of it.

i'm debating it more out of annoyance that the GOTY edition isn't already out more than anything. it seems like they are taking more time to release Skyrim GOTY than they did Oblivion GOTY.

Edit: and i absolutely refuse to buy DLC individually. which is why i generally wait for GOTY/Ultimate editions whenever i get the chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:44:20 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
They're still releasing DLC, hence why the GOTY edition is not out yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:48:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 7:49:16 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Sorry that came out wrong, I would never agree with buying it over the PS3 version except because of the DLC issue, the game was glitchy before they fixed it with all the patches. It runs fine now, its the DLC that is the big issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:59:57 AM PST
Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, I do usually prefer the PS3, but more and more, I don't even think about the system when I buy a game. I just think about what room I'd prefer to play it in. That's probably weird... HA!

M. Stifler, thanks for the tips! I was debating buying the prima guide, but decided I could always look stuff up on the net.

Anthony, I pretty much agree. I never usually buy DLC for games, unless they are on some great sale. As I said, with Oblivion and New Vegas, I still never even finished the main games. When I finally do, I would probably sell or trade them in and get the GOTY version rather than buy the DLC.

Same goes for Skyrim. Unless i see the DLC for sale I guess. But hey, ya never know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 8:11:49 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Don't buy the guide. Use the Elder Scrolls Wiki's for anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 8:13:04 AM PST
Yeah, that's what I end up doing for all the others too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 8:29:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 8:30:21 AM PST
Anthony says:
I know that. i was commenting that it feels like there is a longer cycle to the DLC for skyrim than there was for oblivion. honestly, i think a big part of the reason why i've been able to hold out on getting skyrim for so long is that i was so disappointed in oblivion.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions