Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So a question about Persona 4...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 131 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 2:10:44 PM PST
Can someone explain to me in a brief synopsis what this or rather the persona game sin general are about, what the gameplay is and such. I've done some research and while the videos do show some RP combat it looks more like a dating sim than an RPG... maybe I've just watched the wrong videos. Is there a lot of combat? Is there any customization in character not related to what clothes they are wearing. etc...

The game comes out next week and I am kinda desperate for a PSV RPG that I am considering buying it but I kinda wanna know what i'm getting myself into before I take the leap to purchase it.

Thanks in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:13:27 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Turn based JRPG, more combat than sim stuff, especially in Persona 3.

You don't really customze the characters, you customize your Persona's, which are kind of like Pokemon, I guess.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:15:16 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Heres a good review. Too tough to explain with a simple message board post.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-persona-4-golden-237697.phtml

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:15:20 PM PST
Is there a progression in the game or are you as strong in the beggining as you are in the end?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:17:51 PM PST
It's a social simulation and JRPG. It's not really a dating sim, although you can have relationship's with other character's.

As far as customization, the main character has the ability to summon different beings called persona's which fight for him. You can also change your characters weapon's and equipment.

Trust me, it's a good game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:21:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 2:24:01 PM PST
Wo that's a long review. But I shall read it!

While I do I have one or two small questions.

1. How long on average is it
2. If I'm not fond of scantily clad anime girls, or young annoying anime children (like age 5) would I still be able to enjoy the game?

EDIT: I don't mean that to be mean I just hate animes that focus on that, and it does look like an anime-ish game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:23:37 PM PST
You level up as the game moves on. Also on the social sim part, you become stronger and gain access to different pesona's depending on who you befriend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:25:35 PM PST
Am I only allowed to date Females?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:26:40 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
Its not really a "dating sim" as you can befriend an older couple, a dog, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:27:20 PM PST
Oh, the reviews I read (This included) Constantly mention dates.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:28:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 2:29:57 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
50-60 hours.

There aren't too many scantily clad anime girls, though you do live with your uncle and his 5-6 year old anime daughter(though i don't remember her being very annoying).

You can go on dates, and yes you can only date females.

Did Persona 4: The Golden add a female protagonist like P3P?(not a question for the OP)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:28:24 PM PST
Scratchy says:
Is the persona 4 anime anything like the persona 4 game? I actually enjoy the anime.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:29:05 PM PST
Well, I believe the Vita version has both a male and female main character that you can choose to play as.

It's not really a dating sim as it is a social sim where you can become friends with young, old, male, and female.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:29:22 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Is the action in the anime turn based?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:29:58 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
1. It can take around 100 hrs if you want to try to do everything.

2. There is very little to none of your typical anime fanservice. This game is about the story and experience unlike some Japanese games that focus on mostly naked teen girls.

Though you may hate anime children typically, I would have to say if you don't find Nanako (your adorable younger sister/cousin in the game) a little cute, your heart may be made of stone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:30:09 PM PST
Kinda, it follows the story fairly closely.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:30:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 2:31:46 PM PST
Aku says:
You really should get Persona 3 Portable off of PSN first, as it's much cheaper and (from what my trusted friends say) has a much darker/better storyline than 4. Aside from that, it'll be the kinda game where you enjoy that one first, then you'll have Golden's upgrades which you'll come to appreciate, instead of that sort of downgrade vibe you get when playing games backwards.

EDIT: also I recommend it because my save file of it has, oh, about 150+ more hours on it than any other game on my Vita.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:31:04 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
yeah you go on dates...including man-dates.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:31:30 PM PST
I didn't know 3 was on it.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:31:32 PM PST
1. LONG. The first playthrough took me ages
2. There is one young girl (non-sexualized) that is your character's sister. There are also various high school girls of various degrees of sexualization. However, I would say that they are pretty realistic on average. Generally they're not overly objectified, but they do act like teenagers often do (which can include awkward sexuality). The game deals with a lot of issues a teenager would face such as sexual identity, family issues, and self-esteem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:33:05 PM PST
"2. There is one young girl (non-sexualized) that is your character's sister. There are also various high school girls of various degrees of sexualization. However, I would say that they are pretty realistic on average. Generally they're not overly objectified, but they do act like teenagers often do (which can include awkward sexuality). The game deals with a lot of issues a teenager would face such as sexual identity, family issues, and self-esteem. "

That's fine, I expect that from high school really. But I've seen some "high school" animes... and they creeeep me out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:34:03 PM PST
High School of the Dead?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:35:30 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I wanted to like that show but the fan service was idiotic. I just remember a girl getting attacked by a zombie and the shots just focusing on her panties sticking out.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:37:06 PM PST
Aku says:
Oh yeah, since I haven't played 4 yet this may be wrong, but from what I've gathered from P4 Arena, the characters in that game are some clueless bastards with relatively mundane lives. Of course, that's probably just how you're going to come off looking like when compared to the game with a magical dog and robot warmachine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:39:01 PM PST
Yeah, the fan service is crazy in that show. I actually lost interest in the show after a couple episodes.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  131
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions