Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Planescape: Torment

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 9:26:56 AM PST
Ham Salad says:
I've never really heard anything about this game until I saw a Kickstarter coming up that will be a sequel to it. After looking up the original, I have only seen universal praise and love for this game.

I'm thinking of getting it on GOG, but wonder how well it has aged. Has anyone played it recently?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 9:50:50 AM PST
I keep seeing stuff for it on GOG too. I am <_______> this close to picking it up. I didn't even know they were working on a Kickstarter. I may finally cave in a pick it up as well.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:52:58 AM PST
I own it and have yet to play it.

It's part of the DND Anthology that Gamersgate always throws on sale for ~$6.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 9:56:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 9:57:29 AM PST
Here, add yourself to their emailer for when it goes on sale. It's $20 normally, which is a good deal for what you get. Considering each game is $10 each on GoG.com anyway, this isn't a bad price at all.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

Bundle Includes:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions [Average Metacritic: 91%] "...reigns supreme over every RPG currently available, and sets new standards for those to come" - PC Gamer Developer: Bioware

Icewind Dale 1 & 2 + Expansions [Average Metacritic 85%] "Once in a while, a game comes along that completely takes over your life. " - IGN

Planescape: Torment [Metacritic 91%] "Is it possible for a computer game to have the intellectual heft and emotional impact of a good book while remaining as captivating as a well-paced film? If so, the first candidate may well be Planescape: Torment. . " - New York Times

The Temple of Elemental Evil [Metacritic 71%] "A rock-solid RPG that faithfully re-creates a classic adventure." - Gamespy

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 10:01:11 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Oh yeah, that's the same bundle I bought last year for $7, I think. Hadn't played any of the games in there, so it was quite the bargain. Still haven't gotten to Planescape: Torment, though.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 10:10:52 AM PST
Ham Salad says:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for that deal. I've been looking at the Icewind Dale games for awhile too, but never decided to take the plunge.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 10:48:18 AM PST
Combat is pretty bad, but Planescape has an amazing, literary story. It's hype is justified.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 10:56:18 AM PST
klopas says:
The story is amazing and classy, but you must be okay with dated graphics.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 10:59:07 AM PST
DVvM says:
The game is amazing.

It would be better if there just wasn't any combat, though. It was clearly an afterthought.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:03:43 AM PST
It took me a horribly long time to even get acquainted with the controls, especially today. I swear it took me a long time to get the Nameless One to merely talk to some of the characters. Combat was twice as hard to get into it, so I think that' pretty telling. I'm personally inclined to agree with you on that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:13:54 AM PST
DVvM says:
It's sort of interesting to contrast Planescape: Torment to Icewind Dale (which was also made by Black Isle, and came out 6 months later). P:T is all about interaction and investigation and that works fantastically, but what combat there is really doesn't work. IWD is all about combat, and it works really well for a dungeon crawler from 2000, but the investigation and interaction parts are essentially nonexistent.

P:T holds up much better than the other infinity engine games, since that which makes it work is really the writing, not the mechanics.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:19:16 AM PST
I've never played Icewind Dale, so I couldn't be able to gouge how Planescape stacks up in comparison to Icewind (at least in the combat section). Regarding Planescape, it's a shame that they felt they had to add combat to the experience, because I do think the other methods of play can be as engaging as combat (I do wish adventure style games would make a comeback). Hopefully more people will take this notion for game design.

I agree that the location of the game is beautiful. Goes to show that you don't necessarily need fancy 3D graphic engines. Great sound track as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:21:03 AM PST
DVvM says:
If you're in the mood for that sort of thing, IWD is a great "I'm going to min-max this joint to an absurd degree" playground with classic D&D mechanics and some pretty well-designed combat scenarios and environments.

It aged better than NWN.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:39:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 11:41:59 AM PST
It has aged pretty well actually. Even the graphics don't look horrendous (other then the in-game cutscenes, you'll see what I mean).

I would highly recommend looking up the resolution fix for it. It basically scales the game to a better resolution. I had issues with some of the lower menus in the game slightly cut off because of the old resolutions, but that fix REALLY made a difference and helped the game look a bit better.

A fair warning, this game is VERY much dialogue heavy. Its a very story driven game. Its a lot less action packed then a Baldur's Gate type of game. You'll still have plenty of combat, but you'll also sometimes spend a couple hours just running around talking to people. So make sure thats something you'd be into before hopping in.

With that said, its probably got one of the richest and most intriguing stories of any game I've ever played.

Edit: If I had to pick I'd say I think it'd be a close tie between this game and the original Xenogears for game stories that just absolutely sucked me in and sort of blew me away.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:03:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 12:12:09 PM PST
Icewind Dale is on Steam, so I definitely will give that one a try. I need to play more Black Isle studio games. I mean, I love Fallout 3/New Vegas and Planescape, so I think it's high time I try out more of the games of the studio that pioneered the Western RPG.

EDIT: The soundtrack in this game is amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:21:30 PM PST
Agreed the soundtrack was pretty dang good too. To me it was just the world itself. How well they crafted it, and just how original the whole thing was. I can't think of any game before or since that compares.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:24:57 PM PST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3f9MOr_7wg

The first time I listened to this, I feel in love with it. I just discovered it, by the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:36:16 PM PST
At work so can't listen to it.

I even just love the beginning part with the Nameless One. The numerous ways you can tackle getting out of the Mortuary just always surprises me.

I really do miss how a lot of older games used to just throw you into a big world and kind of just say "have fun" and that's it. Deus Ex was another one that I loved.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:18:21 PM PST
Ham Salad says:
Definitely fine with old graphics, and I'm glad its a story heavy game. I'm looking forward to it.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 2:44:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 2:45:09 AM PST
The Infinity engine games have actually aged really well.
I think this is because of the very detailed hand drawn sprites.
Its good artwork, and they look even better if you get a 3rd party resolution enhancer (as someone said above)
I've just recently played Baldurs Gate 1 again (with the TUTU fix) and it really doesnt look bad at all.

OT: These games and the old Lucas-arts games (Full-Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island, DOTT etc. have aged very well). Its the Polygon driven games (like the 3rd or 1st person shooters) that look terrible - Half-Life, Doom, Quake, Tomb Raider (Core developed) etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:49:26 AM PST
Have you tried any of the others?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:50:32 AM PST
I have heard that a good way to play is to mod the game so you have high attributes to make combat easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:52:38 AM PST
I started IWD, and the combat is pretty deep. Same witg ToEE.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:30:00 AM PST
I almost wish I had done that when I played it. I went with Wisdom and Intelligence in order to get more dialog options, but it made combat a huge PITA sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 6:06:28 AM PST
I loved Icewind Dale - Excellent game.
Couldn't get into Winters Heart though - my characters were under-leveled for some odd reason even though I beat IWD. Kept getting my ass handed to me.

I still havent played IWD2 yet, and I bought it ages ago.
I still want to play it though. Personally I think these are better games than the Diablo series.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions