Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 451-475 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:21:54 PM PST
Nightmare says:
But I didn't use that kind of logic, so I'm not sure what you're point is. How would you define murder?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:25:12 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
"I am still being consistent, but you have failed to present an alternative to the Bible as a governing moral guide."

I'm not sure how I have "failed to present...." when I never set out to do so. I refuse to play your "gotcha" semantic games - I find actually discussing these ideas logically to be much more interesting and useful. The words you are using are very telling - you're not getting this stuff from the Bible or church - this is very nearly word-for-word from the apologist's playbook.

Again - I pointed to the Bible as a moral authority. Are you going to accuse me of "failing to point to a viable alternative to the Bible" again?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:26:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:27:10 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Well, the most common legal definitions admit the necessity of malice aforethought to the act. I would label it myself as unnecessary killing, or unjust killing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:27:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:29:57 PM PST
Hey says:
How any man can convince me he has the moral authority to kill someone is something that can't be done.

EDIT: I suppose the self-defense argument is something. I'm not sure if I would apply that to a nation as a whole though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:28:33 PM PST
Ned Flanders says:
You answered your own question one should follow Caeser's laws as you follow His own (i.e. follow both and face the punishment of both)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:31:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:31:55 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Yes, you pointed to the Bible as a moral authority, but you don't believe in the Bible, quite obviously. I just want to know what your personal alternative is where you get your morals from, since you seem quite keen on saying that the Bible advocates immorality. Immoral based on what?

"Well, the most common legal definitions admit the necessity of malice aforethought to the act. I would label it myself as unnecessary killing, or unjust killing."

Unjust killing sounds a whole lot like killing without moral authority. Justice is based upon moral authority, so it sounds like you agree with my previous definition.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:39:40 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
One could still argue, though, that the genocide of an entire nation is unnecessary and unjust. All those non-combatants, people with no stake in the war at hand. People who were perfectly innocent and served no crime except not being of the Hebrews. God is not above his own laws. He should not just be allowed to wave a hand and say "Well, it's alright because I say so," when we are condemned to an eternity in hell for those actions without his say so because "sin" is unsightly in his eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:43:19 PM PST
Nightmare says:
God is the law. That's why Jews were under different laws in the Old Testament as opposed to post Acts Jews (and saved Gentiles) in the New Testament. God makes the laws and morality what they are.

However, I don't believe that anybody will experience eternal torment in Hell, except possibly Satan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:45:26 PM PST
Mel says:
"God makes the laws and morality what they are."

if that were true we would still have slaves and woman would be our servants.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:46:01 PM PST
Hey says:
So whatever God says is moral, regardless of what it is?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:46:13 PM PST
Hey says:
Ah, the good ol' days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:46:50 PM PST
Anthony says:
why do you think i stopped responding and put him on ignore? as soon as he refused to condemn slavery and the murder of innocent children, i was done.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:47:18 PM PST
Nightmare says:
How is that? Just because God sets what morality is doesn't mean that humans will abide by it. The Jews proved that on many different occasions. And men and women were each other's servants in the Bible, so that is misconstrued.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:48:13 PM PST
Mel says:
not if you're a slave
God said your master could beat you to death with a stick and go unpunished if you lived for the first 48 hours after the beating.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:49:37 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Everything that He has said in the Bible IS what God has said is moral. From a Christian point of view, that's the definition of morality.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:49:58 PM PST
Mel says:
Bible says man is supposed to love his wife and the wife is supposed to obey. Unless this is one of the hundreds of conflicting moral ideas in the bible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:50:32 PM PST
Hey says:
You took that seriously?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:51:09 PM PST
Mel says:
it's in the bible

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:51:21 PM PST
Hey says:
So how His changing His mind fit into that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:51:43 PM PST
Hey says:
Yeah, but "Ah, the good ol' days" obviously wasn't serious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:52:37 PM PST
Mel says:
speaking of god flip flopping

"
Genesis 1: 31 / Genesis 6: 6-7 / Genesis 8: 21
And God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. Evening came, and morning came, the sixth day.

He bitterly regretted that he had made mankind on earth. He said, "I'll wipe off the face of the earth this human race I have created - yes, man and beast, creeping things and birds, I regret that I ever made them."

When he smelled the soothing odor, he said, "Never again shall I put the earth under curse because of mankind, however evil their inclination may be, from their youth upward, nor shall I kill all living creatures as I have just done."
"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:54:03 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Yes, but man is supposed to work by the sweat of his brow to provide for his family. Both roles support each other.

"So how His changing His mind fit into that?"

How did He change his mind?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:54:13 PM PST
Mel says:
tongue and cheek, I understood

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:55:57 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I'm not sure how that is flip-flopping. Everything was good when originally made. It turned bad and God regretted how it turned out. Upon killing everybody but one family to give the earth a chance to start over he made the decision that he would not do such a thing again (not that it was morally wrong in the first place).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:00:50 PM PST
Yes, but the actual sin itself you can still be punished for in the afterlife even though you were punished for that same crime in this life. It doesnt make sense, if one is to follow the laws of the land, then why arent the punishment for said laws enough for God?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions