Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony: Vita is "a little behind on the numbers"; now "actively on the offensive"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2013 12:37:23 PM PST
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1817342/ps_vita_sony_on_the_offensive_in_2013.html

Despite admitting that PS Vita sales are 'a little behind the numbers' Sony is apparently 'on the offensive'.

Published on Feb 20, 2013

The PS Vita might be `a little behind the numbers', but Sony is adamant the recent price drop in Japan is enough to entice gamers as it goes on the 'offensive in 2013'.

It's easy to forget about the PS Vita, especially today, but a recent interview in Famitsu (published on Polygon) with Sony president Hiroshi Kawano shows that getting the handheld into consumer's hands is key to its success despite the handheld's slow start.

"At the present time, maybe we're a little behind the numbers we originally pictured," explained Kawano.

"I feel we have a ways to go in terms of getting across the good traits of the PS Vita, along with everything the software has to offer. Also, I want to keep pushing for more games that people want to play, since like our research showed, that's one thing blocking customers curious about the Vita from making a purchase."

But, with the potential reveal of the PS4 in sight, Kawano was bullish about the PS Vita's future and the year ahead.

"We're going to be actively on the offensive in 2013."

Kawano spoke rather candidly about the success of the PS Vita and the reasons he believes gamers aren't biting and the logic behind the price cut.

"The biggest reason [for the price drop] is that we simply want to have more people playing the PS Vita," explained Kawano.

"Based on our research, there are two broad reasons why people who may want to try the Vita aren't purchasing it. One, they want to wait until there's a game they want to play on it. Two, the price is a little out of reach for them."

"What we also learned in this research is that people who do own a Vita have tremendous satisfaction with it; it's the kind of platform where you get a feel for how good it is once you touch it. But we found that the price was too big an initial hurdle for this, and this sparked a long internal debate within SCE."

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:51:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 12:52:05 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I do believe the price cut will help quite a bit. At $250 without a memory card it was priced out of the market. Though, IMHO, it has zero chance of ever catching the 3DS. Time for Nintendo to get proactive about the Wii-U price problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:53:34 PM PST
They don't really need to get proactive on the price, they need to get proactive on the games. For a launch system, $350 isn't really too bad.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:56:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 12:56:36 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Dear Sony,

More games and more Plus freebies.

K.thanx.bye

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:57:33 PM PST
I'd really like to have a Vita. But, more than that, I'd really like to have a Vita from which I feel I'm really getting my money's worth.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:57:48 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
At least they recognize the problem and are now actively addressing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:58:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 12:58:55 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Not sure I agree, assuming the rumors are true and the ps3 gets slashed to $200.

Strasse, it only took them a year. :P

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:59:10 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Get a Vita and Plus and you'll be golden - at least for now.

I do worry about what the heck they're going to give away if the release tap continues to be as thin as it is now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:59:47 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Better late than never, though I am getting a serious deja vu vibe about the whole thing right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:00:12 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
LOL, they've pretty much given the entire launch line up away for free.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 1:06:35 PM PST
"I want to keep pushing for more games that people want to play, since like our research showed, that's one thing blocking customers curious about the Vita from making a purchase."

This is the truest statement I have ever heard an executive make. I am in utter shock.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 1:07:44 PM PST
MacPhisto says:
Hiroshi san,

please make my psvita do remote play from ps3 for ALL games.

thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:09:01 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, "one" thing, but not the only thing. Give up the proprietary memory cards, Sony. Then add in great software. And remote play features for every PS3 game.

It's like baking, you can't make great cookies with 1 ingredient. You need many ingredients that work together.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:10:30 PM PST
Yeah, the proprietary memory is an almost unforgiveable sin on their part.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:11:55 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
It's such a see through cash grab since they make 32gb memory cards that sell for $20, but the Vita ones are $100. Unforgivable is definitely the right word.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:13:31 PM PST
Great. And is Sony somehow getting this $200 system to play the HD remake of Windwaker? How about Metroid. Nintendo isn't like the other 2. I bought the system, knowing that there were going to be titles that I couldn't experience on any other system INCLUDING pc. The other 2 have some exclusives, but nowhere near the quality imo. I get where you're coming from, I just wouldn't hold your breath expecting it to happen anytime soon. The Wii-U isn't in competition with the Vita, but it is with the Durango and Orbis. Let's see what those prices are and we'll talk about price vs. value.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:16:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 1:18:58 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Well the price drop wouldn't affect me, since I bought a U day 1 for the exact same reasons you did. I just think in terms of mass appeal, the average person is going to grab a ps3 at $200 before a U at $350. I think we agree for the most part. For the record I think the majority of people here are going to be very disappointed with ps4/720 sales. I think the ps3/360 from a value perspective is going to slow next-gen console adoption rates. In the past generations stopped pretty hard and started pretty quickly. I think for the first time generations are going to really overlap for a few years. :)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 1:22:01 PM PST
Your next obstacle is Pokemon X and Y.

Have fun, Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:23:32 PM PST
Completely agree. While I love the idea of having a PS4 on launch morning sitting under my tv, I will likely have no valid reason for having one that early since I will have plenty to occupy myself and the family during that timeframe. I think that the PS3 and the 360 will have much more impact on the adoption rate of other next gen systems than any piece of hardware that N releases. I'm just thinking that the other 2 always seem to release their items on Tuesday and Nintendo releases on Sunday. Can you imagine the love they would garner if they released a surprise Retro-dev'd Metroid game 2 days before the launch of the others' systems?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:25:10 PM PST
Yep, I use a Sony 32GB Class 10 SD card in my 3DS that I got for $20 right here on Amazon.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 1:25:59 PM PST
"The biggest reason [for the price drop] is that we simply want to have more people playing the PS Vita," explained Kawano."

Interesting theory.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:26:08 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Ha, yeah, I remember you posting that in another thread, which is basically what I was referencing in my post here.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 1:30:56 PM PST
Gameresq says:
If the Vita could play all PS3 games, I would rush out and buy one right now and an overpriced memory card or two as well. As it stands, the Vita plays PS1 Classics (which run fine on my PSP) and there are a few like-to-have (but no must-have) Vita games available. That does not justify spending 250 of my dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:31:49 PM PST
You know, I have to say the Vita lineup has been sub-par so far, and I do feel burned as an early adopter, but I absolutely have faith that Sony will make this thing worthwhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:33:32 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Maybe it's because I'm a latecomer, but I think the catalog has been great so far.

Now if I was a hardcore handheld-mostly gamer, I might feel different. But I really only use my handhold a couple times a year, and mine gave me plenty to do over Christmas.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions