Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PSP 3000 vs. PS Vita: you make the call.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:02:33 PM PST
I realize the PSP games are getting hard to find. That is why I have purchased all the games I want to play for it already(over 30 games). This will last me plenty of time(and then some) to jump onto the Vita and/or the 3DS when the prices for the system and games are cheaper.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 11:10:51 AM PST
jnjmcc says:
Well there are 10 good games on the psp and 4 on the vita, so tough call

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 11:08:59 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Me too, any game like Mario or Megaman I have to use the D-Pad. But for RPG's like FFVII or Xenogears the D-Pad annoys the heck out of me. I have mine set for both the Dpad and Analog stick so I get the best of both worlds.

Another cool thing about the Vita on PS1 games is that you can set your own control profile for each PS1 game and it remembers it. Memory cards are set up automatically for each game as well I believe. Super convenient!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 11:00:45 AM PST
I use the d-pad for 2D platformers too. I find it much more responsive than an analog stick.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:59:42 AM PST
Sure you can. You can set the analog to work as the d-pad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:59:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:59:58 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Oh you mean on the world map. LOL, I thought you were talking about the dugneons/towns, which were all prerended and have no movable camera. Never mind. I gotcha. :)

For some reason I prefer the d-pad for games that aren't full 3D. I played NSMB-U using the d-pad and not the analog. But maybe I am strange. Thanks for the clarification.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:59:06 AM PST
I don't think you can use the analog stick to move on the Vita either. FFVII was released before the PS1 Analog Controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:56:46 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
It does, you had to use the L1 R1 on the PSP which made it uncomfortable over time. The right analog stick feels much more comfortable and natural IMO.

The bigger deal for me though was using the analog stick to move instead of the D-pad. PSP wouldn't let you use the Analog stick to move on a lot of PS1 classics.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:56:25 AM PST
Vita > PSP, is this really a question?

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:55:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:56:25 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Just for the smack of it, I ventured out and looked up how many games are actually on each handheld:

PSP: 777 total games. This includes UMD, Digital, mini, and some PS1
Vita: 763 total games. This includes Vita, Digital, mini, PSP compatible digital, and Vita-compatible PS1

Vita gets a bit of a push because it can play 557 of the PSP games, plus a good chunk of the PS1 games.

EDIT: Now, why did I waste the time doing this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:55:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:55:32 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Yeah, no analog, only Dpad on the original Playstation controllers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:53:26 AM PST
"I also haven't noticed the Vita being any more comfortable than the PSP--in fact, I generally hear the opposite, considering the placement of the back touch screen."

Surprisingly, it's quite comfortable. On the very few games where the back touch screen actually does something, it's still easy to hold it while avoiding that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:52:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:53:03 AM PST
Lucanus says:
What? FFVII doesn't have a movable camera. Though I wish it did. That game so needs to be remade. :)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:50:34 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
One thing I absolutely love about the Vita is the ability to customize controls for PS1 games. Being able to play FFVII or Xenogears using the left analog stick to move and the right analog stick to rotate the camera makes a huge difference and a big advantage over my PSP3000.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:41:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:43:22 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
PSP games are pretty cheap indeed, even the ones you can DL on the Vita. So what happens when these UMD's are tough to find? You'll find yourself on the wrong side of price-gougging equation just to have something to play on a dead platform.

That would be a concern down the road.

I do see some tasty PSP's bundled on craigslist, so i get the temptation. I pondered doing the same before buying my Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:37:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:43:26 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Exactly. The OP just needs to decide what he wants out of a portable vs price. Like all purchases, there isn't a right or wrong, just personal opinion. I am glad I was able to assist. Happy holidays. :)

Edit:
Personally at $300 for a Vita+memory card, I'd probably just spend an extra $200 and get an iPad 3. Talk about a nice screen. Plus the game lineup is actually pretty darn good and it does a bunch of other things too. FF Rthym is the best portable game I have ever played. Though I am not a huge mobile gamer either, so to each their own. I am glad to see you are enjoying your Vita. Happy holidays. :)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:33:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:39:25 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Its also pretty awesome to DL games over Wifi quickly, having a snappy browser, search and snappy store, awesome YouTube app, fast OS, having PSP games look their best on that sexy screen , trophies, party chat and.... having that second analog stick!

That said, i don't find any of my handhelds comfortable. That's were some grips/craddles come into play for long sessions. I love the PDP grip on the Vita, feels like a controller.

A cheap PSP on Craigslist with a handful of games under $100 wouldn't be a waste of money. I just wouldn't start pumping money into a dead end platform. For the few PSP games not on the Vita, the new Vita games would fill that void until they get updated over time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:33:51 AM PST
That's why you should go with the PSP. Cheaper and more games. Then when the Vita is cheaper and has more games, you will be that much more amazed by the comfort(?) and better screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:32:38 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Good for you. Whatever makes you happy and helps you game the way you want.

My personal opinion is the PSPGo is a piece of junk with a tiny screen and it wouldn't get played even a fraction of the amount my Vita does. I would rather spend the extra and get the gaming experience I want.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:29:29 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
"I think a lot of you guys are downplaying how much more comfortable the Vita is and how much better the screen is."

Gotta second this, as well.

I found the PSP to be slightly uncomfortable - and, for me at least, the design placement of the power/reset switch was bad because I kept hitting it while playing. But, again, I still thought it rocked.

The Vita's screen is great - and it feels comfortable. Now, it did take a few days before I was completely comfortable with how it felt - and I went so far as to buy an add-on clampy-thing that made it feel more like a Six-Axis / Xbox controller, but I ended up preferring the Vita without add-ons, and it feels great to me now - even after playing it for long periods.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:27:28 AM PST
I haven't played a Vita enough to get a solid impression of the screen, and I've only played Vita games on them, so I can't compare directly how the same game would look on either. I get that the screen is better, but graphics and screen quality alone, especially considering the PSP's already good screen, don't seem like a significant reason to go for one over the other as long as there are other factors involved.

I also haven't noticed the Vita being any more comfortable than the PSP--in fact, I generally hear the opposite, considering the placement of the back touch screen.

And I think you guys are downplaying just how awesome it is to have your entire SNES, NES, Genesis, and Atari library on the go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:24:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:25:21 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Sure and an iPad 3 is better than a Google Nexus. Price always plays a role in decisions. For me the Vita is $250 plus at least $50 for a nice memory card. I just, personally, wouldn't drop $300 on a portable gaming machine. I don't mean to offend Vita fans, but that is the way I personally see it. To each their own. Not when a PSPGo can be bought used on Amazon in good condition for $100 with 16 gb internal memory. :)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:19:34 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
I think a lot of you guys are downplaying how much more comfortable the Vita is and how much better the screen is. If I were very limited on funds and didn't have either, I would consider a PSP. If i just want to go with the best most convenient way to play handheld games I will buy the Vita.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:07:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:10:56 AM PST
Lucanus says:
PSP Go for me. The Vita is overpriced and the game lineup is meh. The PSP has a great lineup and works with ps1 classics. There is a reason why the PSP is still outselling the Vita in Japan. The PSP Go, IMHO, is a great handheld. I enjoyed mine, I got it used a few years back for $100. The best thing about it, it uses a much more standard memory card for expansion. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:07:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:08:02 AM PST
That's Innocent Sin, not Eternal Punishment.

I still don't see the advantage to buying a $250 machine now when you could buy a $100 machine instead, and letting that tide you over till you buy the $250 machine in a year or two when it's $150 or less, has a better library, and may have a better hardware revision.

Two for the price of one (or less) seems like a better deal to me. Maybe that's just me.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions