Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Kotaku: How Has Assassin's Creed III Disappointed Me? Let Me Count The Ways.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:14:02 PM PST
I have only dozed off while playing 2 games AC brotherhood and LA Noire, the thing that makes AC boring for me is the fact that it is incredibly easy you really cant die and the combat is stylish but so simple and feels really old fashioned. I have not had another AC game since brotherhood and dont really think I will play 3.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:12:32 PM PST
This guy seems upset because this game isn't a shooter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:31:48 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I guess I wasn't really expecting or hoping for a massive improvement myself, just more AC with a cool story, and so far I'm thinking this might be my favorite game in the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:30:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:32:53 PM PST
Alien Fodder says:
You have a good point here, except that Ubisoft had insisted for so long that this game would be a major improvement over its predecessors, but it wasn't. Don't get me wrong, I still love it as much as any AC game but I don't see those big changes that we were promised. The only one I can think of is the total removal of medicine for health regeneration purposes. I remember Ubi saying many times that we wouldn't be able to use it during combat but I'm glad they got rid of it entirely.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:28:27 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I'm glad you don't like it, one last platinum for my PS3 to load.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:26:27 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
It's not a review but either way I agree that it's full of annoying whining and serves no purpose whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:24:17 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<We see one Jedi wearing brown robes as that's what ya wear in the tattooine desert and somehow that translates to what every single jedi wears all the time.>>

totally off-topic, but yeah that bugged me too. "old Ben" and Owen Lars wore, esentially, the same outfit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:20:45 PM PST
Bobbum Man says:
Wait, so this guy is criticizing the fact the AC3 takes place during the Rev. War and that the include Connor in the events of the war as opposed to matching the history books exactly?

So instead of riding with Revere he would have preferred Connor to just watch? and he doesn't like the music? and he can't understand the controls?

I hope people don't base purchases off reviews like this. These sites are becoming more of a joke every day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:14:21 PM PST
LogJam says:
Ha good question. Then he should turn that upside-up frown into a right-side down smile? More importantly, he should see a doctor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:00:43 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Not even close. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:59:43 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Haha, that threw me off for the first few hours as well. I've adjusted to it now, though. I get what they were -trying- to do with all the menu stuff on the left and right of the screen being controlled by their respective thumbsticks, but it just goes against what we've come to expect for years and years now.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:57:26 AM PST
Technosapien says:
This guy hit the nail on the head. AC3 is a terrible game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:56:52 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I've come to expect that of Bethesda though. While it is something that happens to pretty much all open-world games, Bethesda in particular seems to have an absurd amount of bugs at release. Whether it's because they're rushing for a deadline and not giving themselves enough time to bug test or something else I don't know.

I think some day 1 patches may simply to be to catch pirates especially given the small sizes.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:53:03 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
The only bug I've encountered so far in probably more than 10 hours of playtime is one of the contracts for the frontier assassination mission being stuck inside a building that I could not enter. All I had to do though was just quit to the menu and go back in and it was fixed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:49:18 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
"This is really odd for a game that had so much time to polish."

The sad thing is it's really not that odd. Look at Bethesda games, or the increasing frequency of day 1 patches.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:47:23 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
The thing is most of his complaints are legitimate. A few aren't and one or two are just plain whining but the game does have serious flaws. It doesn't stop the game from being enjoyable, however it does make the game feel somewhat rough around the edges. This is really odd for a game that had so much time to polish.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:47:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 11:48:05 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I actually agree with this, I try to move the cursor but end up going to my logbook instead lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:45:16 AM PST
Assassin's Creed has the same problem as Star Wars. We see one Jedi wearing brown robes as that's what ya wear in the tattooine desert and somehow that translates to what every single jedi wears all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:44:25 AM PST
Anthony says:
but what if he has an upside down face like tom tucker's son?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:44:13 AM PST
Marvelous says:
This guy really sounds like a negative Nelly though, I couldn't imagine having this guy as a friend - it would be so depressing.

Go to the movies, and get an hour long lecture why it was so bad.
Throw a suprise party, and he'll complain about the people, the foods, and drinks.
Go out to dinner, he'll complain about the waiter, the food, and the lighting.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:34:30 AM PST
LogJam says:
Man, what a sour-puss this guy is. Turn that frown upside-down, fella

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:30:29 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:48 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:28:59 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
I loved the music. I didnt like the camera sometimes and found it difficult to get a human shield. I also found it hard to sync the trees since i kept dying. I can agree that i did the least possible since i only kept my main weapons without ever changing them and never recuited or did the homestead missions.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:25:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 11:36:46 AM PST
Alien Fodder says:
"It's as though Assassin's Creed III has no core gameplay; it's so scattered that there's nothing to hold on to. As a result, it's rarely if ever satisfying to play."

I'm not even sure what he means here. If he's implying that there is no main story, then he probably needs to replay the game. What he seems to be forgetting here is that most of the stuff you get to do in almost all of the AC games (aside from the first one and ACRev) usually happens outside of the main story and that's fine.

"Targeting is a disaster."

This is sadly one of my own disappointment since it's something that Ubisoft had said they would fix with this game. Well, they didn't because the auto-targeting still happens. It's a bit easier to get out of a combat situation but it's not a huge improvement.

"Even air-assassinations, the one thing that the series had gotten pretty good at, feel finicky and difficult to land in the new game."

Dude seriously needs a tutorial on this because air assassinations work perfectly fine in this game.

"I just don't like the music in Assassin's Creed III. This is largely a matter of personal taste-when it comes down to it, I prefer Jesper Kyd's soaring, melodramatic themes from ACII and Brotherhood to Lorne Balfe's staid, dirge-like orchestrations."

This is a minor gripe but I was thinking the exact same thing earlier this week. Aside from the main theme - which is just okay in my book - there is absolutely no musical piece that has managed to grab me. The soundtracks for ACII and Brotherhood were masterpieces compared to this one, with so many truly memorable themes.

"The Gump Factor"

This point is only valid for Americans and even though they do account for quite a high number of AC players, it shouldn't even be an argument here because it'll always be an issue for the people whose history is being featured in any those games. Has he asked Italians how they felt about ACII and Brotherhood? Well, there ya go... Personally, I know next to nothing about American history so I couldn't care less if Connor has been awkwardly "inserted" in certain major events just to suit the narrative of the game and I'm pretty sure most people feel that way.

I agree that some of the interfaces are rather clunky and a bit hard to navigate (crafting being the worst culprit) and I hate the new stealth system. You never know when you're gonna get spotted and pounced on. Also, someone mentioned free-running in the Frontier being flawed and I completely agree. It's hard to keep it up for long if you actually have a set target to reach simply because it often stops abruptly and forces you to go back to the ground.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:23:41 AM PST
"DDustiNN says:
That's kotaku for ya. Constantly whining via pointless articles. I have no idea why people visit that site.

DDustiNN says:
I hate that the map is navigated with the right stick instead of left. It messes me up EVERY SINGLE TIME I open the map, which tells me that the interface is very unintuitive."

There's something ironic about this.... :D
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions