Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-350 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:56:18 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Not really. He's not using a lack of a god to cope with anything.

Civilizations create their gods. Gods are also used to often make up for a lack of human understanding, which is why a lot of ancient gods are the embodiment and have control over environmental forces.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:58:56 AM PST
Mel says:
people can choose to flip flop on whether there is a God, or stay strong with their stance. Definitely a coping mechanism for the unknown.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:00:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:01:11 AM PST
How in the world is NOT believing a coping mechanism to answer the unknown?

You know what. Never mind. You're just being you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:00:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:03:00 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Religions fill the unknown void with god. Atheists understand that there aren't answers for everything and that the unknown is unknown until science fills in the gaps. There isn't an atheist that would still call himself/herself (Dawkins included) an atheist if science could prove the existence of god.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:03:09 AM PST
Mel says:
Atheists and Theists choose to label themselves to cope. Even agnostics have put a lot of thought into choosing not to believe anything. They have all chosen a path that they can best cope with.
The only Human without a coping mechanism for the unknown is someone that can't ask "why?".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:04:51 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Agnostics do believe though. They refrain from organized religion, but they still do give credibility that god does exist.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:05:37 AM PST
Anthony says:
hitchhikers don't count. they're not real people. you know this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:06:26 AM PST
Mel says:
you are thinking of Agnostic Theism, that's what I am.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:10:05 AM PST
Mel says:
Identifying with others is actually a coping mechanism, whether you like it or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:13:15 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Who is identifying with others? If you watch Religulous you can hear Bill Maher say just how many atheists are in this country, and then say that if they could be organized it would be quite a political party as there are more Americans that identify themselves atheists (according to the census results he had) than African Americans in the USA. Atheists are largely unorganized and don't go around justifying their lack of belief on how many other atheists they know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:14:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:15:06 AM PST
Mel says:
You are on a forum identifying with other Atheists and spreading "the word". Just sayin

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:15:44 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I wasn't identifying with Mogwai, I was talking with him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:17:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:18:41 AM PST
Mel says:
OK, you don't identify with other Atheists now. Nice try.
Do you identify with the scientific community? Do you share some of their beliefs?

Are you a Big Banger? I'm a big banger too. ;)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:21:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:23:18 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Monk #1: A member of our brotherhood sits at these controls every hour of every day, scanning the heavens for God.

Leela: How long have you been at it?

Monk #1: 700 years. We've not yet examined one-ten-millionth of the sky. But we will go on until we find the Almighty, even if it takes till the end of time.

Fry: And then what?

Monk #1: Then we utter unto him a short prayer. You see, the telescope is also an amplifying transmitter.

Leela: Sort of like a giant karaoke machine?

Monk #1: Not really. Would you like to see our giant karaoke machine?

Leela: Not really.

Fry: Hmm. Finding God. That-That's important, yeah. But you know what might be a treat for everyone? If you let me use the telescope to find my lost friend, Bender.

Monk #1: I-I don't know what to say... other than: absolutely not! Your loss is a tragedy, but our work--

Fry: Oh, come on! You have forever to look for God! All I'm asking is one measly lifetime to find my friend!

Monk #2: He speaks out of love for his friend. Perhaps that love in his heart is God.

Monk #1: Oh, how convenient! A theory about God that doesn't require looking through a telescope. Get back to work!
----

Philip J. Fry: So that's my story, Father Changstein el Gamahl. Is there anything religion can do?

Father Changstein el Gamahl: Well, we could join together in prayer.

Philip J. Fry: Uh-huh, but is there anything useful we can do?

Father Changstein el Gamahl: No.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:24:47 AM PST
Mel says:
Meditation and prayer are actually very useful for Humans :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:28:12 AM PST
Ned Flanders says:
I posted more of the story so you could see the context. You are like Eve you are focusing in on one thing.

First, God sent TWO ANGELS FROM HEAVEN to save Lot and his wife. That was a sign of mercy right there and should have been enough. Even the presence of two angels did not convince them now look at their reaction.

16 When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the LORD was merciful to them.
They told them to go get out of this town it will be destroyed and they balked. So then the angels had to take them out of the town.
Then they say don't look back and what did Lot's wife do? More importantly why did she do it? I think this is where we will differ you see it as her being curious and I see it as her heart belonged more to that city than to God. If you are really interested research Lot's wife more and see her character. It gives better insight into the story.

You use the word murder.

If I tell you not to grab a live power line because you will die and you grab it anyway did I murder you?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:38:41 AM PST
Mel says:
Trying to get an Atheist to admit he has a coping mechanism was a fun one. Little known fact, Atheists are too smart to have coping mechanisms like most Humans.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:38:47 AM PST
It started for me pretty young. Really the big kicker was that as a kid I could never get my head around the whole "if you dont believe the way we do you'll go to hell" concept. It just made no sense to me that many of my friends and family were automatically sentenced to hell because they didnt follow the same precepts the church my parents went to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:43:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:45:01 AM PST
Mel says:
Yes, that is truly traumatizing to believe
fear and control
George Bush,Media,etc taught the USA a lot about that on September 11th.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:45:25 AM PST
I just think there are too many low-probability chances that occured to make us. It just seems like such an insane long-shot without having someone's hand in the pot so to speak.

I believe there likely was some sort of guidance to make everything like it is. I mean why are we the only highly intelligent species on the planet if it was 100% evolution that made us who we are today? I completely believe in evolution, but it seems odd to me that out of all these species, humans are the ONLY one with a higher intelligence? And the same thing with the Big Bang theory, it explains quite a bit, but the odds of a habitable planet being created are also extremely low.

So not only do we have the insanely low chance of Earth even being created, then we have the extremely low chance of a single species with a higher intelligence able to communicate, build and shape the world around them. It all just seems a little too planned to be random chance in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:46:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:53:33 AM PST
Mel says:
Undesirable mutations are prevented from breeding by brute force.

We are also savages.
I mean, the Native Americans aren't extinct, only because we had a conscience or something.
Jews, etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:49:10 AM PST
Mel says:
I find the chances of infinite universes existing more likely than divine intervention after our big bang.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:54:39 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
So what started the big bang?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:55:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:55:27 AM PST
Mel says:
some say god, some say no god, some say unknown, some say no big bang, some say the universe doesn't exist, etc

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:55:06 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
So who created the watchmaker?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions