Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Obama's speech last night in CT...thoughts? Opinions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:52:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:52:49 AM PST
Strasse every other industrialized nation has a "different culture" so that argument is moot and nonsensical to the point of being insulting.

"So people wouldn't kill other people if they didn't have access to guns?"

Not what I'm saying. Like I said I didn't grow up in some lily white neighborhood. I know better than most of you that crime happens and people die and some people just want to hurt people regardless. But I found it interesting that on the SAME DAY as the Newtown incident some nutcase in China brought a knife to a school and went nuts. 22 kids were injured. Not one died. No parents buried their kids that day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:53:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:54:23 AM PST
So, you're implying that this is only a big deal because children were involved?

Children are, unfortunately, the victim of gun violence all the time. You just never hear about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:54:00 AM PST
Who is to say they weren't, this was her own son who committed these acts and as such might know how to find the key/combination and where the guns were stored. Perhaps they were unlocked because she went to get them to defend herself but wasn't quick or strong enough.

In interest of being a decent human being I usually refrain from putting blame on a victim until all the facts are in.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:54:49 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Ok, I see that line of reasoning. I guess I'd like to see more because, I'm just kinda skeptical right now as to how effective it would be and how much it would end up limiting freedom.

That said, I don't know if I've got a problem in general with simply tracking ammo purchase volumes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:54:56 AM PST
I can't even begin to imagine how you read what I typed and then thought what you typed made any sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:55:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:02:40 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
All the guns were registered to the mother, no?. It was 'easy' for him to do this, he didn't look for ways to get around the law.

There are many people scoring guns illegally on the streets, and that is for law enforcement to handle. The problem here is 'the other' people with guns are just as capable of doing the same or worse as criminals with them. They are passed judgement as those worthy of carrying guns, they should be monitored more carefully. I'd say mandatory psych evaluations every 3 months, at the burden of the gun owner.

You 'need this right so bad', you need to earn it. We are getting taxed to high heavens over other basic needs as a gear in this society, the luxury of gun ownership needs to come with a much greater burden and responsibility to society. The mere freedom to walk into a public place and take the life of innocent people and children ,because everything was so conviniently provided to you, needs to be no more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:56:31 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
But that is the point that are cultures are different. I really don't get how you find that insulting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:57:20 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
YES YES AND YES

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:58:17 AM PST
I find it insulting to use that as an excuse.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:59:42 AM PST
LogJam says:
Agnew, when England returns over here to take back their splinter nation, I'll move in with you. Until then, I'll say that there need to be much heavier restrictions on how it's determined who can own a gun. Criminal background checks won't reveal any psychological maladies, nor will they reveal malicious intent. I don't know if it's been suggested before, but mental evaluations need to be a part of the background check before a sale is made.

And this "criminals will crime it up anyways" argument is lazy and non-condusive to any intelligent conversation on the matter. It's a shrug towards a problem that needs to be b-slapped, not ambivalently wrist-flapped at.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:01:31 AM PST
"you need to earn it."

It's written in the constitution and has been interpreted as an individual right by the SCTOUS so we did "earn it."

It's insulting that you think the government should administer psych evaluations to law-abiding gun owners.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:04:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:06:03 AM PST
Anyone one who thinks that the gun laws in this country DON'T make it easier for criminals to own guns is really, really fooling themselves. The basic principle behind any business is making people think they need it. Demand. Gun makers are in the business of making money. Period. Like every other business.

I saw an interview with one of the higher ups at the NRA who said he doesn't answer his door without his gun. And he was proud of that. All I could think of was "what a terrible, sad, and lonely existence."

So everyone can call me a slave for not being afraid of my own shadow and I'll just call you a consumer.

"All the bad guys have guns so I need one too!" I can't think of a better ad campaign then that. Suckers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:05:21 AM PST
FOGE says:
Thank you. It is insulting. Perhaps one psych eval before buying a gun. But one every three months?! That's excessive and wasteful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:06:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:07:45 AM PST
Even mental evaluations aren't always going to be correct or helpful though,I mean look at James Holmes he was for the most part mentally stable and psychologically sane up to the last week or two before his shooting spree.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:06:35 AM PST
FOGE says:
We are talking on the Amazon video game forum. We are all consumers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:08:14 AM PST
Yeah but I don't let Amazon tell me what to buy and why.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:09:08 AM PST
I have to agree with the last sentence to this degree: I refuse to let hateful or crazy people make me live in fear. I didn't stop flying after 9/11 and I won't carry a gun to the door because of this guy. I am in charge of my life, not the crazies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:09:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:09:46 AM PST
You are a fool. I truly hope you're never victimized by a criminal with a gun. Guns are real, and criminals & crazies have them. Banning guns won't do a thing. The best (and only) solution is to arm law abiding citizens.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:09:21 AM PST
FOGE says:
I didn't say you were a slave. If you do buy anything then you are a consumer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:10:36 AM PST
LogJam says:
That's true; I'm sure even the most in-depth psych evals can't catch everything. But this is the point - we need to open a conversation as to how best make it more difficult for a potentially harmful person to obtain a gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:10:40 AM PST
"The best (and only) solution is to arm law abiding citizens."

And every single statistic on crime in the known industrial world disagrees with that statement.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:10:46 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I think it is more important to attack the mental health control issue head on, without even tying it to a "okay to have gun, wait let's check that you aren't crazy first" scenario.

But I have no clue where to start with this issue. Nobody really does, that's why we're talking about guns instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:11:22 AM PST
No one is saying you have to but that is your right and it shouldn't be taken away by enforced gun control laws or bans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:12:49 AM PST
Really? My neighbor who shot and killed an armed intruder before the intruder could hurt his family would beg to differ with the "industrialized world." His story is all I need to know when it comes to the choice of arming myself or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:13:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:14:38 AM PST
Totally agree. If people want to choose not to protect themselves, that's their right. But don't try to tell me that I can't protect myself when that's also my right.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions