Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Microsoft's cloud services are literally full of crap

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 4:02:11 AM PST
http://www.seattlepi.com/mount-rainier/article/Microsoft-plans-poop-fueled-data-center-4051319.php

Microsoft plans to build the first data center that is completely off the grid, recycling "common waste" to sustainably power cloud services, the company announced Monday.

The Redmond-based tech giant is spending about $5.5 million in research development on the pilot plant, which will be at the Dry Creek Water Reclamation Facility in Cheyenne, Wyo.

The idea is to get biogas from wastewater treatment plants, agricultural farms, fuel refineries and waste landfill sites, Sean James, Microsoft senior research program manager, Data Center Advanced Development, wrote in a blog post. He noted that this gas is usually burned off on site.

"By capturing and reusing biogas on premise with our data centers, we will be able to significantly reduce their carbon emissions while producing beneficial uses at the same time," James wrote. "This project will study new methods for providing a stable, clean, scalable, and economically efficient power source for data centers that could become a best practice for use by other industries in the future as well."

At the end of the pilot project, Microsoft will donate the data plant to the city of Cheyenne and the University of Wyoming for further research, James wrote.

See much more technical detail in his post.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:42:20 AM PST
I recently attended an MS SharePoint conference in Vegas and everything was cloud, cloud, cloud, cloud. It became a running joke after day 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:11:33 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
That's where everything is eventually going so that's not really surprising it's a big focus for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:15:04 AM PST
You don't say.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 5:15:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 20, 2012 5:22:00 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:17:38 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I do say. See above.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:23:43 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I came here to make fun of the misuse of the word "literally" and was disappointed to find it was used correctly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 6:04:57 AM PST
I'll try to be more accommodating next time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions