Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Backup singer loses lawsuit against Take-Two over GTA: San Andreas

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 11:56:09 AM PST
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/03/backup-singer-loses-lawsuit-against-take-two-over-gta-san-andre/

Backup singer loses lawsuit against Take-Two over GTA: San Andreas

by Mike Suszek Writer RSS on Nov 3rd 2012 12:00PM

Michael "Shagg" Washington, supposed former Cypress Hill backup singer (though the band denied any affiliation), lost his 2010 lawsuit against Take-Two Interactive and Rockstar Games over alleged use of his likeness in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Wednesday. Washington claimed he met with the game's developers in 2003 to discuss his troubled youth and "street life." He first learned of his resemblance to the game's "CJ" character six years later, leading to the $250 million lawsuit.

The California appeals court upheld the ruling in favor of Take-Two, in which the judge said the "plaintiff is relying entirely on CJ's physical appearance in the game, but that appearance is so generic that it necessarily includes hundreds of other black males." The lack of evidence in whether Take-Two actually used Washington's likeness, in addition to a failed test for insufficiently transformative use, led to Washington losing the case.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:08:27 PM PST
Glad he lost because this lawsuit was completely bogus. Before I could drive my friends and I rode our bikes everywhere, almost like a little bike gang. I mean who didn't back then? If I think I had a "troubled" youth does this mean Rockstar could have ripped my friends and I off for Grand Theft Auto? Hardly. Even if he met with Rockstar like he claims you spend all of two minutes in the start of the game, as an adult after CJ gets out of jail, riding around on bikes and after that it is just another vehicle in the game.

Also if San Andreas is a rip off of this guy's life then I think the bigger issue here is some serious crimes that were committed and the fact that he isn't doing time for that.

Just another person trying to make a quick buck.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:18:23 PM PST
Check out the comments on the article, some of them are hilarious.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:39:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 12:39:56 PM PST
Yung says:
Subsequently, hundreds of other black males have joined in a class action lawsuit against Take Two

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 12:42:46 PM PST
I checked them out...Absolutely hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:28:57 PM PST
Oh I've been keeping up on it, fill you scroll to the bottom there's already a few responses to my own comment on Joystiq lol.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 2:36:15 PM PST
"in which the judge said the "plaintiff is relying entirely on CJ's physical appearance in the game, but that appearance is so generic that it necessarily includes hundreds of other black males."

Cause you know, all black people look alike.

I know what the judge meant, but still, saying that out loud must have been hard with a strait face.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 2:39:16 PM PST
well the case in general must have been hard to take with a straight face
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions