Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Are There Any War MMOs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 6:10:00 AM PST
SMH says:
I'm looking for a game that is a massive war game that takes place over huge landscapes, the continent of Europe for instance, and involves everything from foot soldiers to tanks to submarines to aircraft carriers. Does such a game exist? I thought I had come across some type of World War 2 game before but can't remember.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:13:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:13:46 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I think that Battlefield 3 is as close as you're going to get. Or Battlefield 1942 if you like the WW2 setting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:18:15 AM PST
Planetside 2, but it's futuristic.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:18:25 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
WW2 On-Line used to exist - not sure if it's still around or not.

It was actually my first MMO experience - and it had a terrible launch. People now consider an MMO launch a failure if they have to wait for more than 30 minutes to login at midnight on launch day - WW2 On-line was down for days, and even after the login servers came back up, it was at least a week or two before it was actually playable. Even then, it was a mess. I think they revamped it a few times over the first year, and from what I heard it was a pretty good game about 1.5 years in - but by then, I was on to other things.

It was advertised to have planes w/ aerial combat, infantry, ship combat, etc - with a large war-room map that gave you an overview of the whole thing. Real-time monitoring of which side was winning any given zone, etc. I think they eventually got all that in, but not sure if it survived after that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:19:12 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Yeah - from what I've seen of Planetside 2, it looks to be a futuristic version of what WW2 On-Line was trying to be.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:22:40 AM PST
There's not much for war MMO's. I wouldn't consider BF3 an MMO lol.

Planetside 2 is pretty much your only option.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:23:17 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
World of WARcraft. Gah.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:26:15 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Looks like it's still around:

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

Since it's free-to-play now, I might check it out again. Surely after 10+ years, they've ironed out the bugs. :)

I wonder if my PFC is still laying in the swamp I left him in after a tank rolled over him??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:27:05 AM PST
SMH says:
THIS was the game I was thinking about. I figured it was old and out of date but I hoped maybe something more recent was around.

I saw Planetside 2 on Steam (free to play right?)...I haven't downloaded it yet, but I will give it a shot. Futuristic isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but it's worth a look at least.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:45:54 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
I'm glad you brought this up - gave me a reason to check to see if it's still around. I'll probably check both of them out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:01:23 AM PST
SMH says:
I aim to please. I just got Guild Wars 2 so I will probably spend a few days playing that but since I'm off of work from Saturday until Jan 2nd I should have plenty of time to play various games.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:11:25 AM PST
World of Tanks?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:23:53 AM PST
I was just coming here to suggest that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions