Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

2012 Indie Game of the Year announced

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2012 8:05:22 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
CHIVALRY!!

http://www.examiner.com/article/2012-indie-game-of-the-year-announced

Indie DB announced today that after over 78,000 votes were cast through 20 days of voting, the 2012 Indie Game of the Year has been decided. Unfortunately, no Xbox LIVE Indie Games won out.

The winners were:

Players Choice Indie of the Year: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Players Choice Best Upcoming: Path of Exile
Editors Choice Best Overall: Faster than Light

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare was named by players as the best indie game of 2012. It is a first-person medieval combat game released by Torn Banner Studios for PC back in October. The game received generally positive review scores from critics with a 79 aggregate score on Metacritic.

Here are the top 10 indie games of 2012:

1.Chivalry: Medieval Warfar
2.Transformice
3.M&B Warband: Napoleonic Wars
4.Faster Than Light
5.Torchlight 2
6.Natural Selection 2
7.Hotline Miami
8.Legend of Grimrock
9.Renegade X
10.Primal Carnage

Path of Exile was then chosen as the best upcoming indie game of the year. It is an action roleplaying game being developed by Grinding Gear Games and has yet to be released.

The Indie DB editors also named Faster than Light as the best overall indie of the year. Developed by FTL Team, it is a spaceship simulation game also available on PC (as well as Linux and Mac). The game was released in September and received even better review scores than Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as Faster than Light currently holds an 84 aggregate score on Metacritic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:11:00 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:12:24 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Probably too late in the year.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:13:03 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I'd give my favorite indie game, but I doubt any of you have heard of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:14:55 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:53:52 PM PST
Of those three winners I have only played FTL. I was actually expecting Hotline Miami to make the Top 5. Oh well, the last two years have been fantastic for Indie games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:17:06 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Don't hate. Clearly it just wasn't that good of a game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:24:17 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:12:29 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
This must be a PC-only list because I don't see Rock Band Blitz anywhere. Preposterous!

Really, though, lots of good stuff missing here. I'll have to check out the ones I haven't heard from the list (specifically 2, 3, 9, 10).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:33:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 3:31:25 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Doesn't EA own the Rock Band name? Did they publish Rock Band Blitz? That could be why it's not here.... Or they just didn't like it.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:14:43 AM PST
Well color me surprised that Journey wasn't on the list.

We really need to establish a standard for what constitutes an "indie" game, though. I mean Torchlight is published by Perfect World, which is a pretty big publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:17:59 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:23:59 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:19:41 AM PST
It means different things to different people. I go by if the dev isn't owned by a parent company they are indie but a lot of people believe that an indie game can't have publisher support.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:20:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:20:50 AM PST
Great choice! Chivalry is just plain awesome....

I'm probably going to pick up FTL tonight, it's on steam's sale for $4.99 and I've been interested in it for awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:26:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 6:40:11 AM PST
Do it.

But you have to name your crew after VGFers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:29:54 AM PST
I just downloaded the game yesterday, but haven't gotten into my cockpit(funny word there) to give it a shot. Is it just PvP, or is there a storymode? Regardless, I got tired of seeing most of my friends firing it up so I figured that I'd give it a shot this weekend to see how it goes. I loved the old MechWarrior games, but I've been told that it's a lot more frantic than the sim/strategy than the older series.

As to 2 others that I'm surprised isn't on there, where's Journey or Rain Slick Precipice 3?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:01:44 AM PST
Didn't OMD2 come out this year?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:05:22 AM PST
I think I would've chosen the same 3. Those are 3 awesome games.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:15:55 AM PST
Just tried out that Transformice game....I have no idea what I just played....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:21:24 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Not anymore. Viacom/MTV Games/EA/Whatever dumped the RB developers after Rock Band 3 was published. Rock Band Blitz was developed and published independently by Harmonix.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:31:28 AM PST
Michael Bay's take on the boardgame Mousetrap?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:34:24 AM PST
More like 30 players jumping around on the same small 2D lvl making it to where I can't even see my own character...Oh, and everybody flaming obscenities into the chat box.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:42:29 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Sounds like a 2D Halo without voice chat.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:41:38 PM PST
At this point there isn't a story mode or anything like that but it could be in the cards for the future as they are establishing a back story for the world and they even have a comic coming out to better flesh it out. There are a few elements in the game that hint at a possible single player mode in the future but right now everything is geared towards multiplayer. Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Siege Mode, and Missile Assault are the current modes.

Hawken is definitely much faster paced and requires some pretty quick reflexes compared to the older Mech Warrior titles. However strategy and tactics are key when it comes to winning because the mech classes are designed to work together instead of just everyone running around the map doing whatever they please.

I prefer it to Mech Warrior because it doesn't feel nearly as complicated when it comes to controls plus I prefer the faster pace of combat. All the mechs have a great sense of weight to them and you feel like you're actually stomping around in a big ass mech as the cockpit jerks around, your screens flicker when you take heavy damage and even begin to crack, you can hear the metal scrapping over walls if you walk too closely to something, and so much more.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions