Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Next-gen consoles will struggle to beat PC, say industry insiders

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 12:01:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:25:29 AM PST
Ham Salad says:
**Edit: The article is talking about the PC "beating" consoles in terms of sales and influence in the overall video game market. I think a lot of you are misconstruing the point of this article to mean hardware specs alone, when that's not the focus of the article. It's also talking about significant increase in recent PC sales growth, the renewed ease of getting into PC gaming, and the focus of the video game market overall is now trending toward PC. Specs are just one of the contributing factors in the renewed growth of PC gaming, according to this article.

Just look at the last paragraph. It's pretty much summarizing the article and it doesn't even mention hardware specs.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"A number of industry insiders have suggested that the hardware underpinning the next generation of consoles is already some way behind that of the PC gaming rigs of today. And with the likes of GeForce Experience allowing tech-naive PC users to optimise their games at a click of a button, we could well see the consoles' advantage of a static development spec diminish, too.

Crytek CEO, Cevat Yerli, spoke out about the state of play during a press tour of Crysis 3. "The current generation consoles, when they launched, were far ahead compared to PC," Yerli told Videogamer.com earlier this month. "But PC has caught up. With current generation consoles and what's on the horizon - new ones - due to the fact that the cost of CPU and memory are so much more expensive than they were in the past, it is simply impossible to have the same kind of impact on the console business; to be so far ahead of PC."

Nvidia spokesman Ben Berraondo agreed when I spoke with him this month: "This is always a time frame where the PC is considerably more powerful. More so with this generation because I think, from what all the rumours are, the console guys are being quite conservative with their next-gen specs."

Nvidia's GFE will ease the path to PC gaming for a growing movement of enthusiast gamers
"Consoles are in big trouble right now," he continued, "they're now not just fighting each other, they're fighting tablets, phones and streaming boxes. What we're seeing is enthusiast console gamers moving to PC."

Pretty much every game advert and show demo this last year has been running on PC hardware - and gamers are catching on. In a market where the focus is on mobile, and desktop PC sales are consistently dropping, PC gaming hardware is continuing to rise. A projected sales forecast AMD used earlier this week when they were touting their new mobile GPUs showed consistent growth, year-on-year, for gaming hardware.

And Nvidia's Berraondo agrees. "GTX desktop GPU sales are growing. GTX 660 and above the market is growing massively. Which we never thought it would. We thought it would stay flat, from a couple years ago, but we are selling more and more GTX cards. If you look at GeForce sales, GTX continues to get bigger because more and more people are moving over to have a gaming PC - we're not seeing that market shrink at all. What's happening is gamers from console are moving across and buying a gaming PC and that market's remaining flat or growing. The bit of the PC market that's shrinking is the entry-level as people buy more tablets. Tablets are replacing £400-£500 notebooks."

As more and more folk are moving over to PC gaming, and the likes of GeForce Experience making it ever easier to do so, we may well see devs primarily marketing their games using PC footage at E3 2014 - no matter what Microsoft and Sony can come up with in 2013."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/next-gen-consoles-will-struggle-to-beat-pc-say-industry-insiders/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its nice to see evidence of how many people taking PC gaming seriously still, like I always knew they did, despite all these years of silly statements that keep popping up about how "the death of the PC is nigh".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:28:31 AM PST
I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when the next consoles around announced and they are packing nearly the specs we've been hearing about. My guess is they'll outperform the Wii-U but not by a huge margin like we saw with the Wii against the 360/PS3.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:29:39 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:32:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 12:33:06 AM PST
Krypto K says:
"A number of industry insiders have suggested that the hardware underpinning the next generation of consoles is already some way behind that of the PC gaming rigs of today."

You don't need to be an industry insider to figure that out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:36:01 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:40:42 AM PST
Fullme7al says:
Glad I'm not the only one who survived the mayan apocalypse. Or are we not clear yet? I never wanted to build a pc for gaming, but the whole valve pc console thingy for your living room has peaked my interest.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:44:05 AM PST
How is this info different from all the other times before when the next gen console came out?

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:54:59 AM PST
D.Wyn says:
I was thinking the same exact thing, it's like comparing a sub-compact to a full sized sedan. Though they are both very similar (being cars and such), they're aimed at a different sub-market. You're looking to lose a fight when you try to compare the two, like they're the same exact thing.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:12:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:16:37 AM PST
Ham Salad says:
I feel like you all are missing the overall point of the article. Hardware specs are not the focus of what they're trying to get across. I edited in an addendum to OP to try and clear things up.

I don't mind if you guys disagree with the article, but please make sure you're disagreeing with what the article actually says.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:23:17 AM PST
Anthony says:
that's pretty much what i though when i read the thread earlier.

as to hardware, honestly, i'm just find with the graphics on the 360 and ps3. i could care less if they increase them or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:25:19 AM PST
AndrewA says:
Hardware specs are exactly what the article is about.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:28:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:34:22 AM PST
Ham Salad says:
Hardware specs are focused on in about the first half of the article.

Maybe you should read the second half, starting with the part about consoles having a harder time since they're fighting tablets and phones. It starts rounding out its perspective to be less about specs, and more about how more people are ditching consoles for gaming and embracing other forms of gaming, with PC gaming specifically being on the rise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:34:19 AM PST
AndrewA says:
The second half is about hardware specs that are selling well. Which keeps the focus on hardware specs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:36:25 AM PST
That in itself is nothing new, the PC was fighting the consoles for years the consoles been fighting the PC for years and the iPhones for about five. Gaming on iPhones and tablets as far as I've seen have been mostly to past the time at a bus/train stops for about ten minutes at most. I have never seen anyone try and play a game on either a tablet or iPhone for more then that nor actually try and watch a full run of a show or movie. Competition is actually good for business and companies as they must out think their competitors to draw in more consumers.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:37:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:43:06 AM PST
Ham Salad says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:47:20 AM PST
AndrewA says:
Why are they saying the market is shifting? Because of the specs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:15:30 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:10 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:47:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:17:56 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
"What we're seeing is enthusiast console gamers moving to PC."

Can't be too wrong. Have you seen the PC love in this forum as of late? This place was so 'anti-PC Elitez' and its changing by the day as gamers are finding the value in PC gaming and its amazing indie offerings, F2P, charity giving Indie bundles...The community is amazing.... GIFTING GAMES... say what?

While consoles going more and more casual by the day, spending their marketing money going after soccer moms, the PC reminds you not to be a sucker for box with a pretty bow, the games are the same(that apply), better and so cheap you can keep'm...

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:48:38 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2012 4:50:16 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:36:53 AM PST
It isn't _just_ because of the specs, though. That's the point.

The market for consoles is splitting in two directions.
You have the more "casual" users (console and PC alike) going for tablets and smart phones. They're more accessible.
Then you have the more "hardcore" users taking the market from the top end to the PC. They're almost as accessible, while being more powerful at the same time. There's less compromise.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:19:01 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Haven't PC's always influenced consoles?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:33:10 AM PST
Yes, to an extent.
However, this is probably the first time where "gaming" PCs don't cost really much more than a "standard" pc and a console combined (because few people have a console without also having a PC of some kind, even if only for web browsing), and PC gaming has gotten to be so plug-and-play simple that it's nearly as accessible as console gaming. You can also use a controller for most games these days, if that's your preference.
Then there's Steam sales and the whole indie scene, which further reduce the cost of a fun gaming experience.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:36:49 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:42:09 AM PST
I feel like this is a cyclical thing. This gens on the way out, next gen will start in earnest next year, everyone will be all excited, Flores gets a second job to afford a PS4, and the PC gaming is doomed calls will start back up again. Move along, nothing to see here.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:49:14 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
When it comes down to it MS and Sony are going to have a hard time selling me and those in my situation, on new $400+ console hardware, that will in all likelyhood under perform my current 2+ year old PC (i5 2500K + HD6780). Especially when the same amount will upgrade me to a brand new HD8970 or GTX 770/780, which will blow the living hell out of whatever both MS & Sony think they have in store for us.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions