Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Help!!! - The Black Friday Decision Edition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 6:04:24 AM PST
JWK says:
I know I make quite a few "help me" threads, but whatever. I thought the VGF's insight would be helpful. Here's the deal, y'all:

There are three routes I can take for BF.

1) Game route: Because I refuse to stand in lines in the middle of the night, my only BF shopping would be at Gamestop. Some decent prices on good games -- R&C Trilogy $20, Skyrim $30, Doom 3 BFG $20, etc. Upside is some of those games may not see prices that low for a little while. Downside is I already have a massive backlog and if I really want to play one of the new games (Dishonored $30), I can just "rent" it for a week from Gamestop.

2) Sony 3D bundle: I'm getting tired of my wife saying, "can you play in another room? I want to watch a show." Our family TV and my gaming TV are the same thing. It would be awesome to have a second HD widescreen in my office. (I already have an old tube TV in there to play retro games). Upside: price is good, comes with a Motostorm game, and while I'm not that interested in 3D, it's a nice feature. Biggest upside is I more easily play through my massive backlog of PS3 and 360 games. Downside: it's not on sale for BF. It's the price I can get anytime.

3. Vita route: ACIII Liberation bundle is on sale for $200. The exact price I've been waiting for. Upside: I enjoy handheld gaming probably more than console gaming, but I think that's only because of the TV issue stated above. Great price. People knock it, but I'm intrigued by the Vita's library. My interest in PS+ is at an all-time high, now that the Vita and PS3 share the price. Downside: new system means I build up yet another backlog of games. Many gamers I respect in the VGF have regretted the purchase.

As always, thanks for your input.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:07:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:10:53 AM PST
new Tron says:
Number 2, without a doubt.

Don't do number 1 if you already have a backlog. There's no point in getting new games if you haven't played the ones you already have. Especially since those prices aren't THAT great.

Number 3 may be a viable option too, but I think for your situation, #2 is best.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:09:59 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:11:32 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:10:06 AM PST
Prankster says:
How much is that Sony bundle for? Because if you can get a better or similar quality TV without the unnecessary 3D feature for a cheaper price, you can do that and get a few games like you plan from Gamestop as well. I am sure Best Buy or Target must have a good deal on a Samsung or Vizio TV for a good price. I think I saw a Panasonic 40 inch LCD for $200 somewhere as well.

I'd skip the Vita unless you really want it. It will probably drop in price to $200 in a few months now if the poor sale signs are to be believed. Plus a few more games might release as well by the time you get it. PS+ will also be expanded for it then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:10:41 AM PST
new Tron says:
Edited! Haven't had my coffee yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:13:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:18:12 AM PST
Soulshine says:
A few thoughts:

The R&C Trilogy is going to be $15 on amazon but that might be a lightning deal only.

Extra TV would be nice but I've seen very mixed reviews about that Sony one. Looks cool but I'd just get some other TV...OR

Go with your Vita route! Forget about your backlog troubles, JWK. Tis the season. You won't have to set up a whole TV in another room and you won't even have to leave when your wife wants the nice TV. Don't forget Vita has that remote play feature on some games so you can keep playing/streaming from PS3 when you lose the TV. (try to find a list of games that currently takes advantage of this and see if you have any already)

Who regretted their Vita purchase? Fox sold his back I think but he's fickle like that. The biggest complaint has been lack of games and that seems to just be a matter of waiting.

EDIT - I don't have a Vita but I'm also thinking about getting the AssLib bundle for $200.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:17:33 AM PST
My 2 cents here. I would go with number 3. It comes with a good looking game, and with PS+ now active you get a larger catalog of games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:19:17 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I would personally go the Vita route. You have a fantastic new system that you are getting for $50 off which already includes a free game and a memory card. If you have PS+ already it boosts the value as well since you will have more games right off the bat to play.

Games drop so quickly in price that you should be able to find those games for similar deals again. The TV isn't on sale so you can get it at that price whenever you want. We don't know if Sony will be dropping the price of the Vita any time soon though.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:19:41 AM PST
I say go with the Vita. Your Plus subscription would have more value and you can play it when your wife wants to watch TV.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:21:10 AM PST
I'm a fan of my Vita. If you don't have a PSP there are a TON of great games that you can get that run excellently on the Vita as well.

Plus, there's Plus. :D

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:21:30 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Hey guys, where would I find the best BF for the following games:

Dishonored
RE6
COD Black Ops II

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:21:34 AM PST
#2 Easily. If not 2 then 3. You already have a backlog. No reason to invest that amount in games you still won't get to for a while. You can never value your own gaming tv enough....says the man that shares the main tv with his family.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:25:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:55:18 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The Sony 3D monitor rocks man and so does the Vita. It is a great monitor , if you need your own 'gamer's nook' in the house, its a nice setup.

Me, i'm getting up early and trying to score some $10-$15 games at Walmart. Forza Horizon and Dance Central 3 for $15 a piece can't be beat. I'm not trying to overpay for any more games this year. Between Steam/ama PC sales and PS Plus , its not worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:36:54 AM PST
prsmooth says:
I would go with option #3 since the Sony 3D TV is not on sale and you are a fan of portables. I have the PS Vita since Day 1 and I love it. Plus, now there is even more incentive with PS + adding free PS Vita/ PSP games. Also more games are coming out for the system.

Option #2 is viable if you can get a comparable TV without 3D that you like for less. If so, I would go with option #2.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:42:00 AM PST
JWK says:
Thanks, everyone. Someone asked about the price of the Sony 3D set-up and it's now $170 at both Gamestop and Best Buy. Like Soul said, I've read a few people having trouble with it, so a warranty will absolutely be purchased if I go that route (adds $20 to the price, I believe). If there really are bigger or better TVs at a $200 price point, that could be an option as well.

But, I'm happy/surprised to hear so many people happy with their Vitas. Now that I think about it, Fox *is* the only person I remember who has sold his. Hmmm... decisions.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:47:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:49:06 AM PST
Kendahl says:
The Vita is just one of those electronic toys that seems really cool, and probably is really cool, but doesn't get used that much. You won't want to invest $40 for a game for a handheld game when you are only spend a buck or two for games for your other handheld (iphone or ipod). The only time you'll use it is on travel because when you're home, you'll be playing the console. I love my PSP but I never play it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:53:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 6:53:30 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I think Dishonored is going to be $25 just about everywhere, including Amazon.

I doubt Black Ops will be on sale at all.

No idea on RE6.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:53:52 AM PST
Admiral55 says:
Does anyone know if Amazon is going to offer any BF deals for Vita bundles? With everyone else seeming to be in on the $199 Vita bundles, I can't imagine that they wouldn't, but I can't find confirmation anywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:55:56 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I heard Amazon will be having the Liberation bundle as the deal of the day but I can't guarantee that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:58:51 AM PST
prsmooth says:
Yes- Amazon will be offering the AC Lib bundle for $199 as a "Deal of the Day" on Friday according to CheapAssGamer Forum. Amazon reps have confirmed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:02:52 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I'm pretty sure the AssLib bundle is $200 everywhere on Friday and Saturday. I saw an official commercial for it yesterday and it was not tied to any retailer.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:03:42 AM PST
Don't get the Sony HDTV. It only has a 24" screen. You can easily get a 32" HDTV or higher for around the same price, although it probably won't have the 3D feature (it doesn't seem to be a big deal for you though).

If I were you, I would get another HDTV on Black Friday since it looks like you really need one. Getting a Vita also doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I will probably get the AssLib bundle for $200 and then get Persona 4 Golden.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:04:08 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Do you know if Walmart has been confirmed to have the AssLib bundle for $200? I don't care to shop there but if they have it then I can get a better deal there since I can get a discount through a relative.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:06:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:07:28 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I don't know for sure but I bet it will. I just saw the Sony commercial with the assassin in the subway that said $199 Friday and Saturday.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:09:45 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Cool, that will be nice! I have a relative working there and she apparently can get a discount for 20% off. If she can get the bundle for me I can save $40 more.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions