Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

American gaming companies or Japanese gaming companies?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 94 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 7:38:41 AM PST
I say Japanese companies (minus current Capcom) because they make all of my favorite games.

American companies brainwash kids/teens/young adults into buying their games. I don't hate every game that American companies release, but most of them are a bit overrated.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:42:01 AM PST
Recently almost all the games I love are from the western world.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:43:16 AM PST
P-Nasty says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:43:37 AM PST
I think right now, American/Western developers are making more good games than the Japanese developers. However, there are still lots of excellent games coming from Japan. Some of my favorite games this generation are Japanese, such as Xenoblade, Metal Gear Solid 4, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Skyward Sword.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:45:50 AM PST
I was taking ALL generations into consideration.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:50:46 AM PST
Well, obviously the Japanese devs would come out on top in that discussion, as they've basically dominated video game development right up until the start of this generation. The shift in overall dominance over to Western developers is a pretty recent thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:52:53 AM PST
I feel like most kids don't even know that most of the best video games are made by Japan.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:54:07 AM PST
Why?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:54:27 AM PST
aidenraine says:
I prefer mostly Japanese game developers, but there are still some western developed games that I love.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:57:33 AM PST
My friend pronounced Ninja Gaiden as Ninja GAY-DEN, and, when he saw the video of the creator saying how to pronounce it, he asked "Why is there a girl on the screen?"

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:57:52 AM PST
If we head over to the most anticipated games of 2013 thread it looks like what people want is being dominated by western games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:00:07 AM PST
I don't even know what games are coming out next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:00:15 AM PST
They always say that 1 is the best possible sample size. However I think Japanese culture is more popular and available in the states than it has ever been.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:01:50 AM PST
Western developers.... I could only take the same jrpgs with the same mechanics and corny anime looks so long... I could only take the same zelda formula for so long... etc etc, for me Japan hasn't brought a lot in the past years (of course there are exceptions)

and sooner or later I'll get tired of FPS and wrpg's if they don't evolve or change

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:02:22 AM PST
Why just these 2? Where is the Canadian or European companies?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:02:59 AM PST
Sorta agree with you here, seeing as how popular anime is here.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:03:54 AM PST
Modern Wolf says:
i prefer Murica!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:35:31 AM PST
Matt says:
I disagree. Although I too play JRPGs, Japanese devs have in no way dominated the industry, for one with RPGs if you're not Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, you're a 100-300k seller at most outside of Japan. Now a lot of American made RPGs be it Mass Effect, or Elder Scrolls sell at least 10 times this.

If you were to go onto the FPS/Third person action games, again American/Western made games sell many times the amount compared to Japan made ones.

I'm surprised by this personally, it was only recently that Persona 3/4 and the Tales of series came out of the niche RPG catergory and into the mainstream.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:48:46 AM PST
How about just good games? That's what I prefer to play and I don't really care where they are developed. Japan, America, Canada, China, England, Africa, hell it could be developed on the south pole by a group of albinos for all I care just so long as it is fun and engaging.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:57:20 AM PST
Who cares? Any company that makes cool games is fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 9:00:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 9:04:45 AM PST
Which is why I said "right up until the start of this generation".

I've been gaming since the early 80s. Up until fairly recently (meaning the last 10 years or so), getting a good non-Japanese video game was a fairly rare occurrence.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 9:54:04 AM PST
Matt says:
Sorry but that's more a matter of taste if anything. There has been plenty of decent francises around at that point in time. If you were into FPS/3rd Person/RTS/Adventure games and games like Diablo, Balders Gate, etc You were fine.

JRPGs 10 years ago were even more niche. Besides Final Fantasy virtually none had any kind of mainstream following.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 9:59:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 10:06:20 AM PST
My point is, that Japanese devs dominated the industry up until this gen. There's no need to look into what I'm saying so closely...I understand there have been good Western games around since the 80s. I played all the Sierra games back in the early 90s, as well as tons of good CRPGs, as well as lots of the EA Genesis titles, etc. But all I'm referring to is industry domination, from a overall perspective. Not just JRPGs, but Japanese developed games. I'm not saying American titles didn't exist. I'm just saying that up until around the turn of the millenium, there were MORE good Japanese titles than Western titles, which means they dominated the industry.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:08:03 AM PST
RJMacReady says:
Dark souls is from japan. Japan wins.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:08:17 AM PST
Matt says:
Where is your proof of this? Your assumption that Japanese devs have dominated the industry up to this gen? If anything I've seen enough comments from known figures in the industry that state the Japanese gaming industry has been in decline for a while.

>there were MORE good Japanese titles than Western titles

This is opinion, a lot of people may see things differently. I certainly do as there were quite a lot of decent Western made games on the market, more than Japanese for that matter. With JRPGs being somewhat niche 10 years ago(Besides Final Fantasy) and random games like Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry, Resident Evil + Mario/Zelda/Pokemon enjoying success here, and of course Sonic, there wasn't much else that really shook the industry. Shenmue did well though.

It would help if you would not say your opinions are fact. I mean, I'm trying to discuss this with you and talking to someone who claims his opinions are fact seems kinda pointless lol
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions