Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Why didn't anybody tell me Faster Than Light was so freakin' brutal?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 118 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:50:31 PM PST
So that's where we stand huh? Just trading me off to slavers. I'll remember this.

@ Jason

Cloaking is awesome on the final boss because you can dodge a bunch of his volleys much like he does to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:03:32 PM PST
Lol, I guess you drew the shortest straw!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:21:55 AM PST
Cloaking device is pretty expensive. I guess I need to spend more time in each sector gathering resources. I was mostly staying ahead of the rebel fleet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:23:15 AM PST
I was doing the same, then I reached the end area and I'd always get smacked.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 3:12:15 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
This game is impossible, can't beat that rebel ship

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 3:25:18 PM PST
Iso says:
So it sounds like this is not as nasty as other roguelikes. In some of them, I have never even come close to seeing the endgame boss...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:27:55 PM PST
What I always do is max out the amount of time I spend in each sector so I'm basically warping out as the rebel fleet reaches the jump point. This way you can earn the max amount of scrap and be able to afford some better systems plus upgrades as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:29:47 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
Have you managed to beat the endgame boss on normal yet? Just got to him and died before I could blink.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:35:23 PM PST
I did once using the Engi alternate ship which focuses mainly on drones. I went with heavy ion focus for main weapons, a defense drone, two attack drones, and a heavy missile (can't remember the name). I also had cloaking level three so I could easily avoid the drone rush and heavy laser fire from the rebel ship.

Part of winning that fight is making sure you engage the ship near repair stations so afterwards you can jump to one, get back to full health, then hit them again within a turn or two without having to engage any of the smaller fighters.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:19:52 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
After an oh-so kind VGFer gifted me FTL, I spent the evening with my first ship, The Noobian (on Easy, of course). Managed to get to Sector 6 with something like 1500 score. My two crew members didn't stand a chance at that point.

I find myself taking risks that I normally would in video games, as I'm used to there being some kind of reward for doing so. Not FTL. Oh, you decided to help that station with the giant arachnid problem? That was dumb; now one of your crew members is dead.

Looking forward to getting back to it with a new ship class. Cool game, fo sho.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:30:15 PM PST
LOL! Yea there comes a point in each game where people ask me for help and I just "Lulz not on your life! *Ends Transmission*"

The life of my crew isn't always worth the reward that I might find plus it always seems to hit at the worst possible time. Nothing sucks more than sitting there reading that your crew member died and there's nothing you could do about it.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:40:10 PM PST
The thing I really like about this game is how many people are discovering what roguelikes are like.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:45:09 PM PST
FTL is much deeper than one might think. You'll learn new things that you never dreamer were in there. For example, I had encountered the giant arachnids a number of times and I often ended up losing a crew member.

*spoilers*

On today's playthrough I got a bio-beam weapon which is designed to lower the health of the crew on an enemy ship. However, just having that weapon online opened a new story option when I encountered the giant arachnids. You can use the bio-beam to kill them safely from your ship and get a nice reward.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:46:16 PM PST
The thing I really like about this game is how many people are discovering what roguelikes are like.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:50:08 PM PST
I like it because it changes the way the player thinks about how to get through a situation. I might take risks in attacking a bad guy because I'll be healed at the next level. Not so in FTL. You have to think about your ship and how you'll get it repaired and how to pay for it. You're thinking about how many crew members you need or installing a new weapon versus enhancing your shields because you don't have enough money to do both.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:52:21 PM PST
You'll find all kinds of situations like this actually. It encourages players to change their setup, try new gear, and boldly go where they wouldn't go before.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:55:36 PM PST
Yeah, I've encountered situations where having a Rock among the crew can save people (in a fire?) Of course, FTL is random so we can't be sure we'll have the right option for a situation. That's part of the fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:58:34 PM PST
Different ships will also open up different options depending on the encounter you have. It's pretty cool and definitely leaves you weighing your options when you've got a choice between getting a certain crew member or a new weapon.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:14:29 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
FTL isn't the first roguelike I've played, but it's probably the most enjoyable. That's largely due to the game systems within, rougelike or no. Most games in the genre don't tend to have legs with me, so I'll be curious to see how it goes with FTL.

So I'm guessing it's game over if you run out of fuel, eh? At one point I was just one jump away from an empty tank when I happened upon a store.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:16:30 PM PST
I haven't yet allowed myself to run out of fuel but considering how unforgiving the game is I would assume an empty tank means game over.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:18:48 PM PST
If you have an empty tank, you have to wait for someone to come by. It is usually an enemy though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:26:12 PM PST
Running out of fuel isn't a good idea, that's why every shop I hit I purchase all the fuel before I get anything else. These pretty much makes sure I'll never be stuck floating out in space waiting for someone to come save me. Only happened to me once while I was in the beta but after that I vowed to never let it happen again.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:31:41 PM PST
Oh, since this thread came up, Justin did indeed write me back. He's a cool guy and I'm glad that FTL is turning out to be such a well regarded game. Honestly, he doesn't seem the type to bask in praise. He strikes me as the type who'd rather get to work making more games than collect awards.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:39:45 PM PST
Justin is incredibly cool and I've got a ton of respect for him and his partner on FTL. Right now they are working on fulfilling the rest of the Kickstarter reward but from what I understand Justin has a new game he wants to get working on soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:17:48 AM PST
For more ships: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/18/ftl-mod-round-up-fly-ships-from-star-trek-star-wars-and-firefly/
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions