Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: America Needs a Divorce - written by a young college student.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 516 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:06:10 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Yeah. That, and Akin serving up sound bites on national TV that were just softballs.

I think the news this morning had her ahead by 15 points and I still haven't seen any Akin yard signs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:07:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:08:04 AM PST
God, I want to live where you do. They're all over the place here. I had no idea Sanchaz county was so Redstate. His signs, and those ones whining about Prop B. The Proposition does a lot of good for local schools, and even if it went into effect our Tobacco taxes would still be below the national average. Cripes, people. Keep crying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:10:09 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Oddly enough, a lot of Pontiacs were made in Australia. Notably the fourth generation (and later?) GTOs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:11:47 AM PST
FOGE says:
No. Its made by a Japanese company. Having American workers helps though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:12:27 AM PST
FOGE says:
Its not that odd actually. A lot of Pontiacs are rebadged Holdens. Holden is an Australian company.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:12:33 AM PST
A ton of Chevys are made in Mexico as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:12:37 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Hah! Yeah I still see a lot of Romney signs, they're just never paired with Akin signs like the Obama/McCaskill yards are.

And my two smoker friends I asked this weekend - one was really for Prop B and the other didn't care either way but said he wasn't voting against it just because it'll bump up cigarette prices a few cents.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:15:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:31:06 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
A lot of American cars are assembled in southern Canada as well. There's no way of knowing where the one you bought was put together unless you watched it roll off the assembly line.

Edit: I was wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:18:24 AM PST
Soulshine says:
When I got a new car in 09 it had a sheet that showed where the engine was built and where the car was assembled. It had the VIN # of the car and I don't think they were lying, but it was just a piece of paper.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:19:15 AM PST
My mother in law started texting me to guilt trip me into voting for romney because they live paycheck to paycheck and they cant "afford" Obama.

Oh and one other thing. I cant believe how many people forget paying $4 a gallon of gas before the economy collapsed. I mean people who I had conversations with at the time. Who complained that liberals blamed bush for gas prices and were completely logical in saying that the president ofthe US has little to do with gas prices, now blame obama for it. and reminis about paying less than $2 a gallon under bush!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:21:31 AM PST
FOGE says:
I think you can look it up on the car. They have stickers on the doors maybe. Its on there somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:21:31 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
Me too. 100%

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:21:45 AM PST
This post is one very large eye sore. I do not understand this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:21:53 AM PST
So what matters is where the CEO lives? Or is it because the name isnt american?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:23:34 AM PST
FOGE says:
The profits are going to Japanese people. I honestly dont really care. I think people should buy the best product. The people that really care should buy an American company's car that is also made in America.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:24:20 AM PST
I heard a guy saying he was voting for Obama because of that. Dude, I remember just about going bankrupt to drive to Canada for a guy's wedding during the days of $4 gas.

Oh, and I've been wanting to say this for ages: Democrats, Republicans, the question "Are you better off now than you were four years ago" is IDIOTIC.

The recession is like a trip across the grand canyon. Four years ago, at the start of the recession, we were chilling in Yavapai Lookout on the South Rim. We are -maybe- at the bottom of the canyon now, but I doubt it. This is something that's gonna take a long time to cross. Certainly more than one presidential term, no matter who gets elected. Of COURSE people are worse off now than they were four years ago. Four years ago things had just started!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:24:37 AM PST
I'll summerize it. You didnt pay under $2 a gallon of gas under bush until after the economy tanked. And romney wont bring back $2 gas unless the economy tanks again

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:24:58 AM PST
My car was assembled in Japan, I know because I have a J before my VIN. However, a lot of the parts are stamped FOMOCO, so who knows where those are from.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:26:07 AM PST
Would you rather have:

A) An American company outsourced to India where it is run by a few Americans, employs a large amount of Indians, and the profits go to America
-or-
B) A Japanese company outsourced to American where it is run by a few Americans, employs a large amount of Americans, and the profits go to Japan?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:27:11 AM PST
B

Again, free trade benefits everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:27:13 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Well most of the profits would be going outside of the US, and that's a fair point. But they support US jobs and at the end of the day it's a wash.

I guess if we're arguing the the *best* companies for the country, they would be the ones that do 80% or more of manufacturing in the US and still do a good deal of exporting to other countires. I don't think that's going to be the case with most car manufacturers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:29:35 AM PST
FOGE says:
B but I would take option C where they are both American.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:29:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:30:21 AM PST
Iso says:
Basically, for car manufactures, Honda and Toyota top the list for true American made.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:30:15 AM PST
I think we would all choose option C if given that choice. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:30:43 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I was wrong. I forgot you can find that on the first digit (or letter) of the VIN.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  83
Total posts:  516
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions