Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony: PS3 outsells Xbox 360 and Wii last quarter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 3:37:25 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/11/04/sony-ps3-outsells-xbox-360-and-wii-last-quarter-ps-vita-forecast-down/

The gaming industry continues to experience a decline in hardware sales this past quarter with Sony just reporting a dip in sales for the game division during the second quarter ending September 30th. However, there is one bright spot for the PlayStation division as the company managed to sell more home consoles than both the Xbox 360 and Wii combined.

Financial Recap

Sony reported a bump in revenue of 2 percent continuing its growth seen last quarter, but still posted a net loss of $198 million. The company did manage to shrink its loss of $350 million during the same quarter last year. The good news for Sony is that the company as a whole actually posted an operating profit of $388 million before taxes which is a significant improvement over the $20 million loss same time last year.

On the gaming side of things, the PlayStation division reported a drop in sales by 15.8 percent year over year rounding revenue out to $1.85 billion. The gaming division did post a small operating profit of $29 million, a decline from last year but an improvement from the $45 million loss seen last quarter.

Software grew on both the home console and handheld fronts as the company shifted 41.4 million PS3/PS2 game up from 40.2 million. On the handheld side, software sales grew from 8.2 to 8.7 million units.

On the hardware front, Sony sold 3.5 million PS3 and PS2 units from July to September, compared to 4.9 million from last year. Handhelds took a slight dive from 1.7 million to 1.6 million PSP and PS Vita sales. Unfortunately Sony started this practice of lumping home consoles (PS3, PS2) and handhelds (PSP, PS Vita) together so its difficult to ascertain how many PS Vitas were sold.

The company did lower its forecast for the PS Vita for the second time this year to 10 million, after lowering it from 16 million earlier this year. While still slightly in the red still, CEO Kazuo Hirai's plan that he set in motion last year to bring the company back to profitability seems to be working as evident by the reduction in loss each quarter.

Sony is currently structured to operate for success like its still the `90s. Hirai seems to have a solid plan and gets it that the company needs to be structured to be agile, lean and efficient to be competitive in today's market. I think The Verge summed things up nicely when it said:

All in all, it was a rough quarter for Japan's biggest electronics maker. But from what we've seen, Hirai has a clear plan of action - get out of unprofitable businesses and focus on Sony's opportunities for growth - and it's paying off. If he can turn the company around from a catastrophic 2011 and in a single year put it back in the black despite the stubbornly strong yen, Sony's future could be very bright indeed.

Hardware Sales Comparison

Globally the PlayStation brand is doing well sales wise as it managed to comfortably outsell both of its competitors - Microsoft and Nintendo. Microsoft's quarterly report for the same time period (July to September) reveals that the company faced a 24 percent drop in revenue with hardware sales for the Xbox 360 dropping to 1.7 million units.

Compiled via NeoGAF:

Nintendo in its quarterly report for the same time period (July to September) reveals that the company is down 62 percent year over year, and only managed to sell 600k Wii units. This brings the total Xbox 360 and Wii sales to 2.3 million units, below Sony's home console sales total of 3.5 million units for the PS3 and PS2.

While Sony did not provide individual sales figures for the PS3, its not difficult to get an idea of what that would be based on PS2's sales trend. Sony sold 1.2 million PS2s last year during the same quarter, and with overall hardware sales down one could estimate approximately 1 million PS2s at the most with approximately 2.5 million PS3s sold.

Year to date analysis done by Nintendo shows the 3DS smashing all systems sales wise, with the PS3 outselling all other home consoles.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:42:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 3:49:22 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
That's awesome. I want Sony around next gen. I've been getting worried about them with how much money the have lost and the hacking scandal.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:52:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 4:11:22 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Hirai: "Members of the board. Whatever we did last quarter... LET'S NOT DEVIATE AT ALL! We made MONEY!!! WOOHOO!"

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:19:05 AM PST
R. J. Gutt says:
Yay !!! $$$$$ :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:53:09 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Yup

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:00:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 7:03:52 AM PST
Really the ps3 outsold the 360, given the Wii is all but dead. Wii sales have been dreadful recently. Good for Sony, the ps3 is really picking up steam. I think they have a tough decision to make. MS will launch a console in 2013, giving MS a year headstart could be a mistake.... but launching a ps4 when the ps3 is really doing well could be a mistake too. Tough call.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:05:28 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
The PS3 will be supported through 2016. No need to rush the PS4.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:10:19 AM PST
PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide since the day it launched, don't know why the surprise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:12:57 AM PST
Mel says:
Halo 4 and now this?
F A T A L I T Y

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:13:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 7:14:30 AM PST
Sorry, when did I say I was surprised? I suppose I am surprised overall given the ps2 sold 150 million and the xbox 30 million. Microsoft was far more competitive this generation than last. But other than that I don't recall saying I was surprised. IMHO, there is no doubt the ps3 will finish 2nd this generation. It might even get within 10 million of the Wii depending on life span. Personally I am much happier this generation than last. Competition is a good thing for consumers. Sony's monopoly being over in the home console market is a very good thing for us. The take home message from this generation is that Microsoft and Nintendo can/will compete with Sony (finally).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:15:33 AM PST
True. But this article is saying it outsold 360 and Wii put together. That's pretty impressive.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:18:16 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Good for them, I've had a lot of fun with my PS3 this year.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:18:20 AM PST
Ninja'd. Hell, I was even more generous to the PS3 than the writer of thous article.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:19:06 AM PST
Except for the year 2011.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:33:11 AM PST
I said overall.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:44:15 AM PST
You didn't say overall anywhere in your post. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:48:28 AM PST
John McClane says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:48:54 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
Nothing gets me more amped than talking numbers of systems sold!!! *does 100 pushes up*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:49:34 AM PST
I didn't say on a year to year basis either.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:51:26 AM PST
Punk! says:
We knew this already. Go Sony!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:52:41 AM PST
Since the day it launched= all of the time from launch day to present. The year 2011 is within that period.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:56:41 AM PST
By the way, the thread title is technically inaccurate. Sony didn't say that. The numbers came from NEOGAF members who posted information from all three companies' reports. Sony did sell more PS3s but they aren't the ones saying it.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:57:15 AM PST
People still care about this stuff? Sales?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:58:26 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:59:25 AM PST
You work for Sony?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa27a4078)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions