Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Have you ever got suckered in by hype...only to realize the game was total crap?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 183 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 20, 2012 4:49:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 4:53:25 PM PDT
This should be called "The Let's Bash Awesome Games That We Didn't Personally Like Thread".

I read the first page with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bayonetta, and Skyrim, then I gave up.

It's fine if you don't like a game, but to not be able to judge something fairly and call quality games "total crap" is another thing. Come on.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:15:26 PM PDT
D. Hammond says:
Haters gonna hate, but I too agree with Fish Daddy that the Gears of War series is way overrated. Guess they forgot to put FUN into the games. Modern Warfare 2 is also overhyped trash. Actually COD is pretty much trash. GTA IV also sucked but to my surprise I actually enjoyed it's clone, Saint's Row the Third. It's like GTA, but it's actually fun to play!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:17:00 PM PDT
I thought Gears 3 was fun.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:30:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 5:31:59 PM PDT
C0D3 says:
MW2 was originally a decent game, it was ruined (in my opinion) on the PC by:
a) trying to make it more console like in nature
b) removing custom maps from users which were awsome and crappy but let you expand the game playability between official map packs (done so they could force players to buy packs instead of having choice on the pc like before)
c) using the poor excuse for a cheat catcher they had where people who actually bought the game had to suffer for weeks before the cheaters were banned. problem was they didn't care, they could just create a new account and start cheating all over again while the people (like me) who wanted to play an honest game couldn't find one about 2 weeks into the release (well probably about 3/4 of the games I was added to by the console like matchmaker had some form of cheat going in it from aimbots, to anti-grav, etc.
d) Hiding these changes until they were called out on them. If they'd made these public earlier and I still wanted the game then fine, but by trying to keep them hidden as long as possible to an audience expecting similar (but better) gameplay to MW1 I personally felt IW and Activision were pretty shady. I don't want to deal with people that shady. Neither do my friends, we all switched to BF and oddly enough to consoles (XBox) since the trend seemed to be make pc games like consoles so we can monitize, why spend the money on PC hardware? I've bought probably 3 or 4 pc games since then, nothing major other than SC2.

There's another 20 reasons I'm sure but you get the point.

To all the people that liked the PC version of MW2, cheating and all, Maybe it got better but 2 weeks in, my friends started dropping out, I tried to stay with it but after about a month with no noticable action from IW/Activision, I just wrote it off as a life lesson and never looked back. They may even have redeemed themselves since, but in my opinion they sold me a totally defective game and NEVER made it right either with a refund or fixing it in a timely manner. I play games to break from stress not to get more stressed.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:35:51 PM PDT
I agree with Little Big Planet. I can see that its well-crafted; I just hated the music and the aesthetic, and I thought it had very little personality.

It blows my mind that people didn't like BioShock. Damn.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:37:34 PM PDT
Bruce Kane says:
Past -Fable 3

Recent - FFXIII-2

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:38:43 PM PDT
Kirksnowsion says:
Hated the music?! Aw snap. I loved that aspect of it. It was like pure joy being funneled into my ears. And the aesthetic and personality?! Hehe, those are some of my favorite things about it.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:39:10 PM PDT
I'm going to have to second Brutal Legend. I absolutely adore Tim Shaffer, as he has made some of my favorite games ever (Grim Fandago, Psychonauts and his great work with Double Fine). Hearing that he was working on a new title had me quivering in anticipation. Even the demo for Brutal Legend got me super excited. It was great, fun third person action, and represented the game not at all, which turned out to be more of a RTS game, a genre I'm not personally fond of.

Note to publishers/developers: a demo is supposed to ACCURATELY depict your game and its core gameplay mechanics.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:39:44 PM PDT
I think the soundtrack to Brütal Legend is worth what I paid for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:42:14 PM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Ha, it just happened this week. LuvR got me pregnant on the new RE and it was awful. Bought, sold, shipped to someone else in about 4 hours time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:45:09 PM PDT
Dude, I couldn't take it. I felt like middle school came and threw up all over me. Strawberry lip gloss flavored vomit.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 5:48:02 PM PDT
Oni (ps2) : I had some friends talk about how cool it was, so I got it. The tutorial was great! then the game started...and down the hill it went!

Duke nukem forever : The best thing about this game was how quick they developed it...HA HA. I keep the game on display in my office because it makes everything else look so much better!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 7:35:07 PM PDT
The beginning of that game was so amazing. The demo part, then two or three bosses after that, and then the stage battles came into play. I enjoyed the game, but it got very repetitive at that point.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 9:11:57 PM PDT
Chocolette says:
Chrono Trigger.

I wanted to see why everyone raved about the game... but I don't see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:19:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 20, 2012 9:25:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:21:51 PM PDT
"It blows my mind that people didn't like BioShock. Damn. "

THIS.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 9:26:34 PM PDT
Jawwaad says:
The first Assassin's Creed. When i started gaming again, I read and was told that this was a must have game. Played it for about 6 hours and was sooooooooooooooo sad about how I wasted 6 hours of my life on a game that was so boring and tedious.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:33:55 PM PDT
I felt the same way! But after playing for about 8 hours I stopped and then a year later I forced myself to finish it. The ending was great and I thought I might try the second one when it came out but did not want to pay full price for it so I waited till I found it for $14. The second one is way better! I beat it in 3 days and have been hooked on the series since! I hated the first one, but love the rest!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:34:19 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
Sorry to hear that Borderlands did not speak to you. I loved that game.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 11:54:28 PM PDT
Fable 1 burned my ass big time. I had bought my Xbox for Morrowind then heard about Fable and sounded like an even better game than Morrowind. Went to the midnight release, sat in line, and ran home to check it out. A day and a half later it was over, everything had been completed, and most of the promises for the game weren't there. After that I kept my distance from Fable, only checking out the series after the game had been out for some time. Fable 2 failed to impress me yet I still managed to complete it while with Fable 3 I quickly lost interest.

RAGE I bought into completely. I'm an old school FPS fan, loved id Software back in the day, and RAGE sounded like an amazing concept. Pre-ordered it, waited through the months of delays, dealt with the issues at release, and then when I finally able to play it I realized this was a glorified tech demo for id Tech 5. The game had so much potential and id Software squandered it all on a repetitive mission structure, total lack of a story, and giving the player the role of pretty much driving around to kill bad guys. I got about 3/4's the way through it before I quit, uninstalled, and moved onto something else.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 12:14:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 12:22:25 AM PDT
"uncledonnie3 says:
The entire Uncharted series and countless other PS3 exclusives. Although I did not purchase any on release day, just rented them. "

Rented?, more like watched as like with other no cash trolls, you're more like never buys never plays so called gamer.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 12:33:29 AM PDT
mjc0961 says:
Okami. And it's not that I simply didn't like the game, it's that it's literally broken. The controls for the first weapon don't work and eventually you learn so many magic spells (or whatever the game specific name for them is, but they're magic spells basically) that involve drawing some variant of a circle that the game can no longer tell them apart. You get a bomb when you wanted wind or you get wind when you wanted to revive a tree or all kinds of nonsense like that. I literally could not finish the game because of this timed mission that required you to use all of your spells perfectly, which was impossible as the game couldn't tell them all apart.

How the hell is something so broken so well regarded by so many people? I could understand if it was just clunky but still functional, but this one is literally broken to the point of being unplayable! How people managed to even beat this game, let alone enjoy the experience and rave about how it's the best game you never played, is beyond me. It's one of the worst games I ever have played (note that I did not say one of the worst games ever, but one of the worst games I've ever played).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 12:41:21 AM PDT
mjc0961 says:
"I read the first page with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bayonetta, and Skyrim, then I gave up.

It's fine if you don't like a game, but to not be able to judge something fairly and call quality games "total crap" is another thing. Come on."

Skyrim is not a quality game. A quality game would not be played with so many engine problems. Skyrim is a broken game that might be fun when it works, but once it breaks, you either have to start all over with a new save file or just stop playing. That is not a quality game. A quality game would be fun and it would work properly the vast majority of the time (save for the occasional glitch or crash that all games will have now and then because nothing will ever be 100% defect free). But Skyrim's level of problems, that is NOT quality. Every other game you mentioned (at least the ones I've played) are both fun if you enjoy that kind of game AND run properly without being bogged down by crashing problems. I never had to put up with freezes every 15 minutes after playing too much Uncharted. Never had to start a new game in Super Mario Galaxy because I played my first save too much and it became unplayable.

See the difference? Every other game you mentioned = well made, AKA quality. Skyrim = not well made, AKA not quality at all. And again, maybe it's fun when it is working, but it's still not a quality product.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 12:43:30 AM PDT
Kirksnowsion says:
Hmm, I didn't really have the same issues. Was perfectly playable for me. Yes, early on the game could get confused about your paint strokes, but after a while you realize what the game is looking for, and that problem rarely crops up. At least, that's how it happened for me. I beat it. Loved it

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 1:05:29 AM PDT
Tony says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  183
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions