Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls 2 Developers talk dedicated servers and core features

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 6:06:37 AM PST
http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/19/dark-souls-2-dev-talks-dedicated-servers-protecting-core-features/

Dark Souls 2 dev talks dedicated servers, protecting `core' features
Dark Souls 2 development is being overseen by the previous game's director Hidetaka Miyazaki, and he has revealed From Software's approach to the sequel in a new interview features in this week's issue of Famitsu. We reported on some of the article's key facts earlier today, but now Polygon has translated Miyazaki's full quotes. Check them out after the break.

Polygon reports that Miyazaki feels there is a core to what makes Dark Souls 2 a `Dark Souls' game, and has assured fans that these fundamental ingredients will be preserved by the game's new co-directors Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura.

Miyazaki said, "If we're going to announce this as a sequel to Dark Souls then I think there's certainly a core that we need to protect. I'm talking about how we think about the difficulty level and how you achieve things in-game; about the concepts behind the mechanics and level design.

"Outside of that core, though, I think it's better to leave things to the discretion of the director. There's a lot around that core that we need to fix or adjust, besides, and individual touches always tend to come out in the world setting and artwork, so I'm not meddling in that very much."

Responding to a question about the game's setting, Shibuya chipped in, "I can't completely answer this question, but the two settings are connected, yes. However, I wouldn't say there's a direct connection as far as story is concerned. The game is set in a different part of the same planet - to put it another way, if the first game was set in the North Pole, this one would be in the South Pole; that sort of contrast.

"`Time' is one of the central keywords we're keeping in mind as we create this. I can't give concrete details about this yet, so hopefully you'll be able to use your imagination for now."

On the issue of Dark Souls 2′s dedicated servers, Shibuya continued, "Setting up a dedicated server lets you retain your data, making it easier to share it with other players. We'd like to evolve the asynchronous message-oriented online support from the previous game; we're imagining a framework where players are able to directly interact with each other.

Miyazaki added, "I think having dedicated game servers will be the source of a lot of new potential in Dark Souls 2. There was a lot with the original Dark Souls I wish I could have done if we had the ability to have those serviers, so in that way I'm pretty jealous of the new director here.

"I think the concept behind online play in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls was pretty plain to gamers, so I'm hoping we can evolve on that concept here without removing ourselves too far from it."

Thanks Eurogamer.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:12:21 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I wonder what Miyazaki is working on if he's not handling Dark Souls 2. Also, I think that leaving the "time" concept up to our imaginations is hurtful to Dark Souls 2. There aren't a lot of good gaming memories when time is involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:16:25 AM PST
I'm guessing (and hoping...) that it refers to moving forward and backwards through time.

Maybe that's just it. The knight in the trailer fought a dragon, yet also walked through a dragon's bones. Could one of them have been before the events of the other, yet in the same general area?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:37:17 AM PST
He was kinda mum about that when asked in an interview that I read on here earlier through an imgur link.

They are doing it in a different part of the world, but nothing about timeframe so it might possibly be in the past.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:57:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:59:04 AM PST
Chris... says:
I'm hoping they don't incorporate time travel. Time travel is tricky and I wouldn't want the story of a Souls game becoming any more convuluted than it needs to be. Souls games are already hard enough to understand as is.

I hope the time mechanic will work more like a 24 hour clock which will make night and day play a large role in the game. Certain bosses, areas, or NPCs wouldn't become available until day or night. Certain covenants would become stronger/weaker with the appearance of the sun/moon. Areas could become harder at night.

Idk. I think there's a lot more they can do with a 24 hour clock mechanic vs. a time travel mechanic. Clock effects gameplay while time travel will largely effect story, and the Souls games have always valued gameplay over story.

Just my 2˘

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:03:26 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Maybe I'll eventually play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before this comes out...nah, probably not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:06:49 AM PST
That might be pretty cool. I liked how they did that with the Artorias DLC. Was kind of neat when you realized that most of the settings were areas you had seen before.

I wonder if this one is going to be set in Carim then. They drop a lot of info on Carim in Dark Souls, so it definitely might be interesting. I just hope they dont try to innovate too much with this series. And kind of hoping they dont go too far adding a narrative. I wouldnt mind a few more cutscenes then Dark Souls, but hoping they dont turn it into a Final Fantasy type of cutscene/movie RPG.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:34:23 AM PST
If they have a night / day schedule I'd be fine with that too. They already incorporated time travel in the DLC for Dark Souls. I thought they did an excellent job. If you performed certain actions within the DLC, you could return to present day and receive a different cutscene for one of the boss fights. Things like that I think would be pretty cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:10:08 AM PST
How is the Artorias DLC? Is it something that gets integrated into the whole game and should get right away or can I wait until I beat Dark Souls first?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:15:08 AM PST
If you're going magic, then do it as quickly as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:16:43 AM PST
Chris... says:
Get it before you beat the game. There are certain things you have to do in game in order to access the DLC area. Once you beat the game the DLC area will be inaccessible again in NG+ until you complete the certain events (again).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:16:50 AM PST
It depends. I waited until I almost beat it, but it was incredibly easy by then on NG.

There's quite a lot of content and you can warp in and out of it just like any other area. It adds considerable backstory to some other Dark Souls characters as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:32:35 AM PST
It's really fun, but probably one of the most difficult areas in the game. The three bosses you fight there to me are the three hardest in Dark Souls, and the rewards arent godly or gamebreaking but just really cool stuff. Though I do agree the magic is probably the only thing that might be somewhat gamebreaking in that it just hits insanely hard.

I also would recommend it before fighting Sif as it changes the cutscene you get in that fight if you do things a certain way. SPOILER HINT WARNING: If you're in a dark area and you see a ghost cat-like thing leading you somewhere, follow it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:37:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:37:26 AM PST
Using a Greatshield of Artorias I had little to no issues with any of the bosses. Of course, I went in at SL 80 or so when I did it and used the GoA and a BKGAxe, so it may have been a little easier for me considering I was probably overleveled.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:41:01 AM PST
Well the current build I don't think I'm gonna use magic. I have pyromancy, enough strength to hold the Drake Sword and Black Knight Shield that I recently picked up and now I think I'm gonna focus on Dex, vitality, and endurance.

I feel a bit silly focusing on Dex after just upping my strength to hold new equipment but I think I'll live....actually it's dark souls so I won't, I'll die over and over again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:59:06 AM PST
SPOILERS WARNING DONT READ FURTHER

I dont know, the Sanctuary Guardian, Artorias and Manus ALL felt a lot more aggressive and gave you less room for mistakes then I think ANY other boss in Dark Souls. Honestly O&S might be the only one that comes close. I found it ALOT harder to mess up once or twice on those fights.

And have you gone back and fought the double Sanctuary Guardians yet? :P

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:19:41 PM PST
Other than the AoE for Manus, I didn't really feel any pressure. The fight with the Guardians, however...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions