Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PSP 3000 vs. PS Vita: you make the call.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 4:26:16 PM PST
So, if I were to choose between the two, which is the better investment and why?

Can PS1 games be downloaded to either the PSP or Vita?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:36:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 4:37:27 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
That I know of, PS1 games work either natively or through a hack on the PSP (not sure which as I have not done it). That I am aware of, neither is an option for the Vita. The Vita's a pretty slick little piece of hardware from what I've seen. You might do good to hold off until a price drop, that way you're catching it at a price it'd actually be worth and you're giving it time to accrue a library of games.

I loved my PSP3000, but it was ultimately the product that made me realize I just don't much care for handheld gaming.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:37:06 PM PST
Some PSOne Classics can be downloaded to the Vita.

All PSOne classics can be downloaded to the PSP.

I'd say right now the PSP is a better idea. It's much cheaper, and while the Vita has some limited backwards compatibility, UMDs are more permanent and cheaper than the digital copies that are available (though they present a problem if you eventually decide to switch).

The Vita's price will probably be down by about $100 within two years, whether as a permanent price drop or as a sale, and the PSP's library should keep you busy that long, so if you can find the PSP for $100 or less (which shouldn't be terribly difficult this season), you can have both in two years for the price that you'd purchase the Vita alone.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:25:05 PM PST
Gameresq says:
There is a lot of great software for the PSP, plus all the PS1 Classics. The Vita is sorely lacking at the moment. Eventually, the Vita will probably be a must-have, but I am waiting for now.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:26:26 PM PST
raul says:
I still have the big fat psp. the first one that was released. It still works perfectly.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:34:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:37:06 PM PST
These are the notable PS1 remakes/ports that got UMD(disk) versions for the PSP:
Breath of Fire III
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Star Ocean 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Persona 1
Tales of Eternia (Tales of Destiny 2)

They're all pretty good. And you can get some good PS2 ports/updates on UMD as well:
Persona 3 Portable
Disgaea 1 & 2
Phantom Brave
Obscure the Aftermath
Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex

and a few others. I'd go with the PSP personally but I'm biased as I think it's an awesome system and the Vita is too but just needs a bit more time to get some cookies out(games)..

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:40:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:40:27 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
What kinds of games do you want to play? If you're a big JRPG fan PSP might be better but most of the PSP JRPGs can be downloaded and played on Vita.

I have both and now I'm pissed I have a big UMD library since they can't be played on Vita and the Vita screen is freaking beautiful.

I'm playing Breath of Fire IV right now on Vita(PSone classic) and it looks absolutely amazing.

If you're not a big JRPG there is absolutely NO reason for you to go with PSP.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:45:16 PM PST
Really depends on whether or not you're going to want the newest games or just looking to play the PSP games only. If you're not interested in upcoming games for the Vita I'd say just get the PSP as the gaming library both online and physical copies are at reasonable prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:43:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 7:43:38 PM PST
Not really a JRPG fan, but I do like the occasional RPG.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:43:54 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Then I really don't see much point to getting a PSP over a PSV.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:51:14 PM PST
Can you provide more detail and context for your situation? What do you really want out of the system? What are your favorite game genres? What handhelds have you had in the past, when did you make most use of them, and what games did you enjoy most on them? When/where do you plan on playing this one?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:18:06 PM PST
Peacewalker, Monster Hunter, Gran Turismo, Flatout, Wipeout, Darkstalkers, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Tekken, Half-minute Hero, ZHP, Pirates!, Mega Man, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil, MGS, Castlevania, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto...

I think I see one or two reasons maybe to get a PSP.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:21:05 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
PSP because of the TV output, so much better for home gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:26:29 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
How many of those aren't on PSN though?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:32:47 PM PST
How many of those are cheaper not on PSN?

And I really don't see what the problem is with getting a PSP whether or not they are. The PSP is a great machine with a great library, and if you jailbreak it you've got a great retro emulator on the go. The Vita practically doesn't have a library and is far more restrictive--no A/V out, memory is absurdly pricy and there are no cheap workarounds, they've been removing compatibility with PSN games occasionally when people figure out an exploit.

What's wrong with waiting a couple years for the new tech to come down in price and get a hardware revision or two? My question is what's the advantage to getting a PSV now over getting a PSP now and a PSV once it's gotten cheap? An extra game or two for your backlog?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:36:35 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Ok, you convinced me.

Oh wait, I already have a PSP.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:38:23 PM PST
I'm not trying to convince you, am I?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:39:20 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I can't tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:23:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 2:25:09 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
As far as PS1 games go there are a number that you can download directly from the Vita. Almost all the rest can be downloaded to the Vita by hooking it up to the PS3 (just like the PSP). I think the only one I haven't been able to download so far that I wanted was FFV. The Vita also has more functional remote play and they are patching games to have that feature (Ico and the SotC, GoW, Lair, Tokyo Jungle etc). You also have access to a good chunk of the PSP library that is on the PSN but as someone else mentioned the UMD's for the PSP are most likely cheaper unless you wait for sales.

I personally passed on the PSP and waited for the Vita. I have years worth of games to play on it and I just wait for sales. I love the Vita but it is definitely the more expensive option since you missed that BF deal so it's up to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:29:32 AM PST
Seeing how the PSP is going for $99 dollars I'll probably buy one too, while I already have the PS Vita I don't really care for digital downloaded games especially since a lot of the PSP games aren't seemingly compatible with the Vita or aren't online as of this time. I'm seeing some pretty good prices for a lot of the PSP games here on this site already.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:11:34 AM PST
I will say the Vita is a better idea, First you can get most of the good PSP games via PSN on the Vita, second you get future games released on the Vita, and you can still get the PS1 Classics, a good majority of them anyway. On top of that the Vita has a nicer screen and a larger screen, dual analog sticks, and I think the PSV feels a bit better in my hands than the PSP.

The PSP is definitely cheaper, however the PSP is also done, there won't be more games coming out for it.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:20:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 4:21:02 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Yeah, no point in buying dead technology at this point.

I'd recommend a 3DS over a Psp if you are finding the Vita too costly for adoption. Better library between it and DS ...and it'll be worth keeping or actually worth something when the Vita is within your reach down the road. By then most of the Psp library will be available on psn.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:21:26 AM PST
I wouldn't recommend a 3DS... I would recommend a 3DSXL, it's sooo much nicer IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:24:53 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
True, but from a value perspective...in keeping the hardware the cheapest to afford more games( which I think is the deliberation here) he has that cheaper option available to him.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:39:19 AM PST
true, but I still hold that the 3DS is not a great system to hold, it's too light, it's kinda got sharp corners and very very small, I wouldn't have been able to play that system without the Zelda Case I bought for it that added weight and roundness.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions