Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Halo 4 Sells Over 3 Million Units Opening Day

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 6:37:16 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250533/halo-4-sells-over-3-million-units-opening-day/

Halo 4 is expected to sell about four million units worldwide by the end of the week. This is an increase over Halo 3 which sold 3.8 million units worldwide in its first week and an increase over Halo: Reach which sold 3.7 million units.

If sales hold up for the rest of the week it would become the biggest launch for an exclusive console game in history. However it would not break the record for biggest opening, which goes to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 which sold a combined 14 million units and 7.5 million units on the Xbox 360.

Halo 4 launched in North America and across Europe, with a release date in Japan on November 8.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:40:37 PM PST
Damn.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:40:58 PM PST
Harmicky says:
[sits back and waits for the fanwar with cautious excitement...]

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:45:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 6:48:12 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Estimates are it cost $100mil combined to develop/market Halo 4 (Halo 3 was $60mil combined for comparo), $5mil-10 mil to produce Forward Unto Dawn.

In 24hrs they profit 100+% of their investment. Damn. Profit 101.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:49:25 PM PST
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why people keep making AAA games. Forget the fact that that a majority don't recoup their budgets, when one hits it big, you make huge piles of money.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:52:19 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
That is just the game. Toss in the custom console sku sales , controller sales, pop, toys ...etc....Huge piles of stupid money.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:54:21 PM PST
RoadKing says:
There is no valid reason to dog Microsoft for continuing this cash cow besides Sony bias as Uncharted and the like are ignored for repeats. I do find it amazing how little support Sony exclusives get in comparison though and once again I saw another PS3 commercial today highlighting a game available on other consoles.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:04:31 PM PST
Horowitz says:
It deserves to sell millions and millions. It's that damn good.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:42:21 PM PST
KrisCo says:
But but but...Best Buy sales guy sad it wasn't selling good...

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:46:51 PM PST
Halo series are good games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:18:56 PM PST
I'm not dogging Microsoft. When I imply that people should stop making AAA games, I'm not saying that Microsoft should quit making Halo games, I'm talking about AAA games that fail to sell enough copies to even recoup their development costs, like Darksiders II or Amalur.

If your game is virtually guaranteed to be a big seller, you can spend all sorts of money making it. But don't spend a huge pile of cash on your game just *hoping* it will be a big hit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:39:30 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
WOuldnt that be reason for ms to make more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:40:02 PM PST
Horowitz says:
I'm going to miss B games. B games tend to be my favorite and they just don't sell well at all. I find B games to typically be better than a lot of AAA games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:41:03 PM PST
The problem we have this generation I think is a lot of developers are spending AAA dollars to make B quality games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:41:14 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I the emphasis is that huge amounts of money shouldn't be spent on a game that developers just "hope" will be a hit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:46:56 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Hey! Kane and Lynch, Army of Two, Rage, Too Human, Ninja Gaiden 3, RE, Medal of....Oh wait, never mind.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:05:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:09:52 PM PST
P-Nasty says:
Over 300,000+ people playing right now and it's 12am EST. That's pretty impressive.

*Playing multiplayer

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:08:27 PM PST
RoadKing says:
Army of two has a third game coming out. I didn't care much for the first two and far as I knew they didn't blow up in sells. Wonder how much $$ to make the third?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:32:48 PM PST
Assuredly some people are also playing the single player at that time as well (I know a lot of people like to play the single player campaign for FPSs first before diving into the MP).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:38:23 PM PST
RoadKing says:
Very true so imagine how many have vowed to finish the campaign prior to mp including me and there is a whole lot of people playing Halo 4 right now. Would like to own a piece of that pie.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:55:57 PM PST
Nicos says:
Activision is all "3 Million units. You must be so proud. No really. 3 Million is a really good number." All condescending and laughing behind Microsoft's back, barely keeping a straight face.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:15:14 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
There is so much crossover on the platform that a growing Halo reception is only a good sign for Black Ops 2. The troops are motivated.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:21:36 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Uncharted 3 sold 7 million.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:24:05 AM PST
jtshiel says:
If this game was Dead Space 3 it would be cancelled since it didn't sell 5 million.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:25:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:26:52 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Dead Space is on 3 platforms. Heck, If a Dead Space sold 4 mil in the first week across 3 platforms, EA would be ramping up to release it yearly.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions