Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Obama calls for research between violent video games and real world violence

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 245 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:42:20 PM PST
JWK says:
BAN ALL SPORTS!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:42:39 PM PST
It was a 2008 study that showed all stores in the study (as in the average, the best chain at carding was at 6%) sold M-rated games to children 20 percent of the time, down from 42 percent in 2006 and 85 percent in 2000. At the rate it is going down I would be shocked to hear if it was still at 20%. It takes time for changes in culture to take place but considering the last few years I bet stores are policing themselves better than ever.

It's not different standards but a different understanding of how change happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:43:07 PM PST
JWK says:
This. 100%-- well said.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:43:32 PM PST
Lucanus says:
The average was 13% with some stores being 20%. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:44:05 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Except as an adult nobody is restricting your freedoms, so his point is moot. :)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:45:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 12:47:23 PM PST
Lucanus says:
"I saw a little girl (probably like 5 years old) and she was dancing like Britney Spears. Is there a correlation between crappy mainstream music and becoming a whore when you grow up? "

No, but being a little girl and being exposed to women using their body for attention..... good question. My kids will not be exposed to certain music videos because of this, amongst other things. While I don't know the answer to your question, I will still being playing it safe. Kids do mimic what they see. I certainly don't want my girls thinking dressing half naked and dancing around is ok behavior.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:45:26 PM PST
Hey says:
The lead character in Bully is NOT the bully, I can confirm this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:46:42 PM PST
Well good, even better than understood. At that rate it must really be low by now. A law would be pointless as we are already doing so well.

*pops champagne*

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:47:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 12:56:01 PM PST
pasteyswazey says:
Oh wait! I forgot my funny post. Can you imagine what they can buy with the money to conduct the study. Okay, run wild VGF and figure this. You're given 10 million dollars to find a positive correlation between video games and adolescent violence, that it increases the anti-social behavior of those who play. What would you buy?

I'd love to start by buying my friends all types of consoles, we'd have every hand held and every console imaginable and some phat PCs. I'd be a gold member of Xbox Live and be able to get tons of games as a PS+ member. We'd have a stack of Doritos and Cheetos to the ceiling. All we'd do all day long is game until our eyes and fingers bled. We'd try to platinum every game and have a tight team to take on anyone else in multiplayer. We would try to dominate every first person shooter and make our way up to every national and international competition. We'd be engrained into the VGF on Amazon. We'd be tapped into all of the reviewers and we would be so much a part of gaming culture not only would we play at home, but we'd be reviewers, we'd be testers, we'd would weigh in on game development committees, we'd hobnob with major retailers, BestBuy, Gamestop, and other and cosplay at every comiccon and E3. It's be sick.

And finally after all of that "research," we'd publish our finding and you know what they'd say. If you every really did all of that stuff, you'd be such an entrepreneur you'd be set for life and could actually start teaching game theory at the collegiate level.

Sounds like some cool stuff to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:47:07 PM PST
It was only 13%.

And that is significantly lower than the number that were able to buy movies and CDs.

I just don't know that government regulation can improve that by eight points. If they can, well, so what? Which related statistic will also drop by 8%? Schoolyard fights? Bullying?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:47:46 PM PST
Dear Obama,

There is a pretty handy website called JSTOR, where you can find literally hundreds of studies about video games, some as recent as 2012. You will find several pertaining specifically to research between violent video games and real world violence (I saw at least 20 or so on just the first two pages of search results). You could also research case studies concerning countries such as Japan that do not censor nearly as much of their media (including video games) as the US does, yet they have only a fraction of violent crimes per capita. There; saved ya a cool 10 mill.

(message forwarded to whitehouse.gov)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:48:05 PM PST
Yeah, I remember that. All of the big name reporters were all gung-ho about being "embedded" into army units and being able to film the action live. That was... until Bob Woodruff got his cranium cracked by a roadside bomb. Then all those reporters couldn't haul ass fast enough out of Iraq to send in the college students and interns.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:48:13 PM PST
it was a joke more than anything.

As long as you talk to your kids and communicate with them what they are watching is purely for entertainment purposes.. it's not "real life".

Kids are smarter than you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:48:21 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I don't think most are saying that they shouldn't be able to buy it, just that the federal government should not legislate it. For the sake of argument I will play the devil's advocate here:

No law should be passed to ban the sale of M-rated games to minors, either at the state or federal level. Similarly, no law should be passed to ban the sale of R-rated movies or albums with explicit lyrics to minors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:48:32 PM PST
Where's the link? I mean, bullying existed way before video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:48:41 PM PST
DVvM says:
No, but video games are protected speech. You cannot, by force of government, prevent people from consuming protected speech.

If private retailers want to do a better job keeping kids from buying M-rated games (or R-rated movies, or parental advisory albums, etc.), that's fine. I just have a problem when the government assumes that it's their responsibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:48:42 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Except as Nate pointed out, music and R rated movies are still an issue. I think some of the numbers for movies was like 50% of the time. Media needs to be carded for. I was never specifically saying just video games, but all forms of media.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:49:01 PM PST
We need to ban snow too...that stuff is dangerous!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:49:19 PM PST
Except video games actually hurt no one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:50:01 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Kids are brilliant, especially when parents are around to assist their growth. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:50:43 PM PST
What do you define as a "kid?" I mean there is a big difference between 13 amd 16.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:50:59 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I already bought a television. I don't know how much more parenting is required for these kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:51:08 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Studies on the results of violent videogames are mixed. Nobody really knows at the moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:51:29 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Nope, actually the difference is only 3.

/stupid math joke

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:51:35 PM PST
Most likely.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  245
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions