Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What is the best early Final Fantasy game offered on PSN?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 3:01:46 AM PST
I may play one. I want tactics, but which version offered on PSN is also good?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:18:34 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
All of them are on the PSN except for 3, up to 9, so just go start to finish.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:33:48 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
3 was just released on PSN for PSP. So if you have a PSP or Vita it's an option now too.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:09:25 AM PST
I think I may try VIII. Graphics seem decent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:12:55 AM PST
I must be getting old. In no way whatsoever have I ever considered VIII an early FF title.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:14:21 AM PST
klopas says:
FFVIII is my favorite of the ones currently available. I want FFX HD now please! Can't wait to play some blitzball!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:27:27 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
You'll either love or hate VIII. Personally I hated it. Worst in the whole series IMO. I'd start with FF VI or IX

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:29:30 AM PST
Is VIII still turn based? Tried 13-2 some, is ok, I like turn based RPGs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:31:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 4:32:33 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
All of them are turned based.

Just because you hate one, doesn't mean you'll hate another. Give a few a try at least if you don't like your first choice. FF changes it up a bit each game.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:31:45 AM PST
Nicos says:
Vagrant Story

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:34:50 AM PST
Ok. Thanks

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:41:15 AM PST
FFVIII is a... 2 sided argument. You either love it or hate it. I've never really had anyone say it was meh.

Personally I didn't like the combat system or the draw system or the junction system and it made the game no fun for me to play. The story however is good, and I wish I could have it in book form :p

I would say 9 is a great place to start, 7 is a classic and it is a good one as well. I would suggest 6 as well!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:05:52 AM PST
VII is my favorite, while VIII is a close second. I haven't put much time into IX, but 4-6 are good too.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:15:17 AM PST
Chunk says:
VII is my personal favorite, which I picked up on the PSN about a month ago. VIII is really good also and I plan on picking that up after I finish VII. IMO, IX is the only one on the PSN I just couldn't get into. It was just ok.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:33:18 AM PST
I would definitely play VI, VII, and IX. The others can wait until after those. No particular order. Personally my favorite of the pre PS2 FF's is IX

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:38:08 AM PST
I am a big fan of FF tactics, after that I like FF4 and FF5 the best, old school sprite style graphics.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:41:35 AM PST
And if you like FF Tactics, try Tactics Ogre. It's made by the same team I think.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:02:22 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
They wouldn't be considered early FF games but I would recommend VIII and IX as a second.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:14:02 AM PST
I find Tactics Ogre to be more fun.

Also Ragnarok Tactics was just released on the PSN for Vita users... I may give that a try.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:32:31 AM PST
My favorite game ever, and the game I consider to be the best of the core Final Fantasy titles, is FFVIII. It's definitely flawed, but it does positive things in both gameplay and story that even a lot of modern JRPGs aren't successful at, let alone ones of its era. Some of the posters here will try to tell you the characters are annoying, but I really think they're mistaken. It has one of the best, if not the best, casts in FF history. The only real flaw it has compared to other story-heavy FF titles is that the ending is a bit of a copout and doesn't fit at all with the plot up until that point, so be ready for a let down.

After VIII, I'd say VII, IX, V, VI, IV, I, III, and then II is my order of preference, though I like all of the original nine core games. Final Fantasy Tactics is the best game in the series, though.

And since you mentioned turn-based combat, you should know that at some point in the series, they switched the default system to ATB, which is a turn-based system where turns refresh in real time (even if you haven't taken your turn yet, if you wait too long, the enemy will go again). You can switch that off in the options of every game it's implemented in, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:39:12 AM PST
Thanks for the info!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:40:20 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Get Grandia instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:43:00 AM PST
If you are going the GameArts route then get Lunar 2!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:48:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 6:48:37 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Not on PSN =(

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:48:40 AM PST
FFIV is the best Final Fantasy game.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions