Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Nintendo of America: Consumer response to Wii U pricing has been phenomenal

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 9:39:04 AM PST
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2ZKQWD/www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-14-wii-u-deluxe-set-selling-out-incredibly-quickly

Nintendo's Scott Moffitt believes the response is proof that Wii U pricing is in a good spot

Wii U has only a few more days before launch in the US, and if you didn't pre-order, it could be tough to buy one, as sales have been brisk. Nintendo of America's Scott Moffitt, executive vice president of sales and marketing, told GamesIndustry International that the $349 Deluxe Set version in particular has been a very hot item.

Despite some concerns over hardware pricing possibly being too high, Moffitt asserted that consumer demand is what matters, and consumers have been telling Nintendo that the price is indeed right.

"All I can say is that the response has been phenomenal and we're getting, especially in the higher priced deluxe set, that one's selling out incredibly quickly. That seems to indicate that the pricing's in a good spot and the proof is in the consumer response," Moffitt remarked in an interview to be published in full tomorrow.

While shortages were a huge problem for the original Wii's launch, Moffitt is expecting Nintendo to do a much better job on replenishment this time around. That doesn't mean it'll necessarily be easy for walk-ins at Walmart or Best Buy to just pick one up any day of the week without a pre-order.

"Certainly we've seen brisk pre-sales and that the phone calls have been coming into our headquarters for quite a while now asking for more and so we do expect high demand. But I can tell you this - on opening week we will have more systems on hand for the Wii U than we did for the launch of Wii. And, second, our replenishments will be more frequent this holiday time than during the Wii launch," Moffitt noted.

"But, having said all that, it's impossible to exactly predict demand, and so I can't say that we won't have some shortages out there and that people won't have to be a little patient with the replenishment truckload and shipments and boatloads to arrive."

Stay tuned for the full interview with Moffitt in which we discuss launch window planning, tablets, Nintendo's financials and more.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:41:12 AM PST
jtshiel says:
"And, second, our replenishments will be more frequent this holiday time than during the Wii launch,"

haha those Wii U scalpers are going to have a hard time selling all their systems.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:42:24 AM PST
Biohazard says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:42:53 AM PST
jtshiel says:
whoever paid you that is an I word.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:43:25 AM PST
Ice King says:
This isn't the best time to judging whether or not the price is right. I bet a lot of the reason for all the preorders selling out is fear that this will be like the Wii and won't be in stores for years.
Anyone who wants a Wii U knew to preorder just to be safe. The rest just did it so they could resell them for a profit (which I'm not judging).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:44:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 9:45:16 AM PST
Biohazard says:
But I also made it a bundle and threw in all somewhat decent Wii games like Okami, Twilight Princess, RE4, about 10 games, so they're not getting totally ripped.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:46:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 10:10:51 AM PST
...because it's an awesome price. People here (and elsewhere) were predicting it could go as high as $499 with the game pad and no game included. $349 for a deluxe model, the game pad, and an included game is pretty much perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:54:34 AM PST
"Nintendo's Scott Moffitt believes the response is proof that Wii U pricing is in a good spot"

The Wii U's is definitely looking like it's in good shape...but the sell-outs are hardly "proof" that the pricing is where it needs to be. Remember the $500 and $600 PS3's? Yeah, they sold out on launch day too.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:56:29 AM PST
Average Consumer: "Eh, $350 is a little steep but not too bad I guess..." (*thinks about when they bought their bratty kid a $600 PS3*)

Nintendo Fan: "$350! $350!! Nintendo isn't charging enough! Here! Take my money! TAKE IT!!1!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:22:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 10:48:54 AM PST
Lucanus says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:34:43 AM PST
Maybe N is going to judge by area how many units they need to release to avoid the aggravation experienced by the consumer at the launch of Wii, while keeping the hardware not sit on shelves and keep demand and word of mouth going. If they really want to get some of us on board asap, then give us the playable demo of TP that they did to show how it would appear on the Wii-U.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:52:06 AM PST
Anthony says:
Translation: In your face Ubisoft!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:56:22 AM PST
Fullme7al says:
I bought one and plan on getting ZombiU. But I have my concerns about that game, there is an embargo on reviews until it is actually launched. Most games that are like that end up being bad. My only hope is that since black ops 2 received a good score on ign and that was revealed on launch day. Ign recently had a preview of the game that said the shooting mechanics were improved, but never stated before that they were bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:25:16 PM PST
Have you played it? I have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:29:54 PM PST
Please share : )

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:45:35 PM PST
Waiting for limited edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:53:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:54:21 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Played the U? No I haven't. But it isn't much more powerful than a ps3. The launch lineup is a bit thin. Don't get me wrong I have one preordered because I love Nintendo, but I am just surprised at how many people have one ordered. It is far more popular than I thought it would be. Maybe I listened too much to those claiming only soccer moms bought the Wii and it just sat and collected dust. Apparently that isn't the case and millions actually enjoyed their Wii and are looking forward to the U.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:55:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:56:17 PM PST
Ice King says:
I still say a big factor in this popularity is fear of a shortage like with the Wii. People who were on the fence, like me, heard that preorders were starting to sell out and and we decided to just get it while we could rather than wait who knows how long to get one or pay a jacked up price from a scalper.
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty excited to get it, but if this had come out in March and demand wasn't super high I'd be waiting a little while.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:58:39 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
I think HD Nintendo games are exciting to look forward to. I do somewhat agree with those people who say Nintendo should just be a publisher on consoles and of course keep making handhelds though.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:00:21 PM PST
I.Flores says:
Consumer response: Phenomenal
Investor response: Not so much

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:00:51 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I think words like "phenomenal" have lost all their impact from overuse.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:05:05 PM PST
"if you didn't pre-order, it could be tough to buy one"

Main reason why I'm waiting until next year to get one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:37:24 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Didn't Sony have their credit rating lowered again?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:52:47 PM PST
Kasmatsu says:
A site, I think Gamesradar, has a video up to day of ZombiU's local multiplayer. It looks like a riot. The person with the gamepad plays from a RTS kind of perspective placing zombies while the other player is FPS with the pro controller. They compete to capture points on the map.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:55:49 PM PST
I.Flores says:
The Tigers have signed Torii Hunter to a two-year, $26 million deal.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions