Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony Wants to Push Nintendo Out of the Console Business

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 7:00:56 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Ready. Set. GO!

http://gamingillustrated.com/sony-wants-to-push-nintendo-out-the-console-business/

Without question, Nintendo is one of the most successful gaming companies ever. With the next generation of gaming right around the corner, Nintendo has taken the first leap with its upcoming console, the Wii U. However, is this Nintendo's attempt at the next generation or is it an attempt to catch up with Sony and Microsoft before the REAL next-gen gaming experience becomes available? While there is much talk about the Wii not matching up in comparison to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Nintendo's Wii was the only one of the three consoles that saw an early profit; Microsoft and Sony haven't seen console profits until recently. Even with the Wii's success, mostly due to its family orientation and Nintendo loyalists, Nintendo felt it was time to release a new console, not only earlier than its two competitors, but also at a price that they acknowledge is lower than the cost of development.

Along with expectations that it will not bring in what Nintendo president Satoru Iwata calls "Nintendo-like profits". the Wii U will release with a shortage in available consoles. While this may seem to simply be the cost of producing a next-gen system, this move seems strange on Nintendo's part. Nintendo isn't the type to simply take a loss in profits just to take the next step in gaming when there are no other competitors yet. What is Nintendo feeling that they must spark the start of the next generation so early, especially after being the last to release a console into the seventh generation? More likely than not, it is the fact that Sony is attacking Nintendo in what seems to be an attempt to remove them from the console industry. During the fall of SEGA, Sony began attacking the weaknesses of SEGA consoles and countered popular SEGA games with original titles of their own. Nevertheless, one does not simply push Nintendo, practically the face of video games for the past two decades, out of the industry that they built.

Sony's first significant attack on the Wii didn't come until nearly four years after the system released. Revolutionizing the industry again, Nintendo introduced motion-control gaming in 2006 with the Wii. While the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 saw earlier North American release dates, the Wii was released with a new approach on how to engage gamers in a new way, rather than being a high definition system. Nintendo's decision obviously didn't hurt profits, but the Wii hit its ceiling much quicker than the competition. Taking advantage of the low ceiling of the Wii, Sony released an accessory that brought motion-control gaming to the PS3. While Nintendo responded to customers' dissatisfaction with the Wiimote's lack of motion detection accuracy with the announcement of the Wii Motion Plus, Sony was busy with their announcement of the PS Move. The auxiliary device was an attachment to the PS3 that featured better accuracy than the Wiimote and could be used with games that weren't specifically designed for motion-control. Rather than attempt to do battle with Microsoft's Kinect, Sony replicated and improved upon the Wii's main feature. Though the Wii continued its success and the PS Move didn't take off in the way that Sony hoped, it did spark more talk about how far behind Nintendo really was.

Much like with the SEGA Dreamcast, Sony continued its "Anything-You-Can-Do-I-Can-Do-Better" approach. The Dreamcast made leaps that consumers wanted from that generation of gaming, but it lacked one critical thing: a DVD player. Although the Dreamcast had the biggest launch to date with 18 release day titles, it lacked developer support after the launch of the PlayStation 2. Sony was able to offer DVD use in the PlayStation 2, new and old PlayStation exclusives, and even took the idea of gaming online that was originally brought to reality with the SEGA Dreamcast. SEGA was seeing a revitalization of the company's significance in the console business with the Dreamcast and seemed to have taken the top spot from the Nintendo 64; however, SEGA fell victim to releasing their system too soon as Sony took the opportunity to exploit what the Dreamcast lacked with the PS2. Nintendo may suffer the same fate with the Wii U as Sony has already begun its assault on their system before it even has had a chance to launch, and before Sony has even considered developing a next-gen system.

Unlike Sony which is content with waiting out the start of the next generation, Nintendo seems to feel the need to get its system out first, which will leave Sony and Microsoft to recognize and expose those weaknesses. Expanding upon the idea of the Nintendo Wii, the Wii U has a controller that apparently has it all. This controller has a touch screen, microphone, camera, motion sensing, and dual analog sticks, but Sony claims that their handheld system, the PS Vita, does all of this and more. In another blatant attack on Nintendo, Sony released an update for the PS3 and PS Vita that enhanced the remote play, which allows the PS Vita to be used for PS3 games such as Shadow of the Colossus and the God of War Collection. Where Sony expands upon the Wii U's capabilities is in the fact that it is a handheld system. The PS Vita has a processor of its own, which allows it to run independently without a home console. While this alone is unlikely to directly create the fall of Nintendo's console development, it has shown how far behind Nintendo really is.

Randy Pitchford, head of Borderlands 2 developer Gearbox Software, has publicly expressed praise for developing on the Wii U and its controller. In the case of the SEGA Dreamcast, game developers bailed out en masse upon the release of the PS2, but with support from such a big name developer, it can be assumed that Nintendo will not face the same troubles. However, the Wii U is just the world's first glimpse at the eighth generation of gaming. If their handheld device, combined with an update to the PS3, can emulate the same capabilities of the Wii U, Sony's PS4 could bring the death of Nintendo's console production. With Sony clearly ahead of the technological curve, it will be interesting to see what exactly they have in store for the next generation. "We've never been first. We've never been cheapest. It's about being the best," Jack Tretton, president of Sony Computer Entertainment of America has said about Sony's console practices. The Wii U will shed light on what can be added, only leaving the door open for Sony and Microsoft to counter with a system capable of more. Nintendo is relying heavily on the pending success of the Wii U, and while they have seen tremendous success in the past, it is obvious that Sony is attacking Nintendo consoles and Nintendo has noted that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:04:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:05:19 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I'll admit that I only quickly scanned the article, but I don't see anything that indicates Sony is trying to "push Nintendo out of the console business." I read that Sony is trying to compete with Nintendo, just as they are, and just as Microsoft is, and so forth.

It is my opinion that this article makes a lot out of nothing.

Edit: typo

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:05:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:07:03 PM PST
Good luck with that.

I think "Nintendo pushing Sony out of the console business" is quite a bit more likely, honestly.

Gamers shouldn't want anybody to push anybody else out of the console business.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:06:28 PM PST
Misleading/inflammatory title is mileading/inflammatory

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:07:12 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:08:10 PM PST
Harmicky says:
"Gamers shouldn't want anybody to push anybody else out of the console business."

^This. Right Flores?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:09:32 PM PST
Gameresq says:
The rumors of the death of Nintendo consoles has been greatly exaggerated

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:13:40 PM PST
Right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:15:42 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Good boy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:34:32 PM PST
This article seems poor thought out in my opinion because they are overlooking numerous glaring issues happening over at the Sony camp.

For starters comparing the Wii-U gamepad to the Vita is just ridiculous. One is handheld with some serious limitations as a controller lacking clickable analog sticks, secondary triggers, and the sort. The Vita has potential but pitting it directly against Nintendo like that isn't going to work. In fact the article references Randy Pitchford who said that while the Vita can do some things like the Gamepad no one is releasing anything that has the same level of commitment as the Wii-U gamepad for that type of gameplay experience. Simply syncing a $250 handheld to your console doesn't showcase that Nintendo is behind the curve. What games on the PS3 take advantage of the specific features the Vita has? None.

They bring up the Move as a sign that Sony is trying to push Nintendo out of the market completely disregarding the fact that by the time the Move released Nintendo was miles ahead of Sony in terms of sales. In fact even though the Wii hit the ceiling quite early the 360 and PS3 are still lagging behind it in terms of sales. This wasn't a move (pun intended) by Sony to show Nintendo they are on the way out, this was a play at that motion control money Nintendo was making and nothing more. Look at the lack of support Move has seen and the questionable lineup of titles. Sony expected to release the device and have people flock to it much like they did with the Wii. Obviously that didn't happen.

Now because Sony is releasing a few titles similar to the ones Nintendo has been seeing HUGE success with for years now this means Sony is trying to beat Nintendo at their own game? They are struggling to find traction in the kart racing genre and it looks like Sega's next kart outing is actually going to be more of a competitor for Nintendo's Mario Kart series than Little Big Planet Karting could have ever hoped. Playstation All-Stars is looking quite promising but that is just one title and certainly doesn't undo the massive success of the past three Smash Bros. games nor is this going to take away from the upcoming Smash Bros. 4 which is currently in development.

The Vita is currently struggling on the market, it just posted its lowest week of sales ever in Japan falling below the 5k mark for the first time. Sony is just recently getting their Playstation division out of the red as their last few hardware releases haven't gone smoothly at all. Xperia Play has gone all of nowhere for Sony. The PSP Go amounted to nothing. We all know the PS3 had a rough couple years on the market before it found its feet. And also let's not forget Sony has been closing down a number of development studios, shuffling around people at other studios, and what have you.

Sony isn't trying to push Nintendo out of the market the way they did with SEGA. They are trying to find themselves a good foothold in the market and they are taking inspiration from Nintendo because clearly their tactics leading up to now haven't been working out the best.

If you're going to examine a situation like this you can't just ignore the negatives happening behind the scenes for one company and focus on the other. Also if rumors are true and the next Playstation and Xbox are arriving at the end of next year that leaves Sony and Microsoft squat for time to adjust their upcoming consoles to exploit any weaknesses in the Wii-U. Dreamcast released at the end of 1998 while the Playstation 2 didn't hit the market until March 2000 and even then we didn't see much of the Playstation 2 showing up the Dreamcast in terms of what was offered. Dreamcast had online functions right out of the box, Playstation 2 didn't. The Dreamcast had the VMU and the Playstation 2 had a standard memory card. The DVD player was always part of the Playstation 2 design so the Dreamcast had no influence there. Sony beat SEGA through third party support and by locking down great exclusive titles.

This article is missing quite a bit...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:44:11 PM PST
Harmicky says:
I was going to recommend you send this to the author, but it appears that Gaming Illustrated doesn't list a single contact email anywhere on their whole site.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:45:53 PM PST
Step 1: Release obviously stupid article on the games industry.
Step 2: ?
Step 3: PROFIT

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:48:02 PM PST
And then Sony was all like nuh uh, and Ninty was like uh huh, so Sony was all like bring it, and . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:49:47 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I miss Sega. I miss the 90s when choice was king:
NES
SNES
Genesis
Jaguar
3DO
Neo-Geo
TurboGrafx
CDi
PS
Saturn

And various handhelds, and PC gaming took off too. Oh and it was the last golden age of the arcades.

I understand that the market just is not big enough to have this many consoles, and we do get the choice of three great console makers (Sorry, Flores, I said three and yes MS does some pretty awesome stuff). But, as a gamer I wish there was more....Of course my wallet begs to differ, so I am sure I am looking at this through a blurry haze of nostalgia. It also seems that we had a lot more exclusives in the 90s, hopefully MS is reading this!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:51:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:54:50 PM PST
Totally agree with you. Variety is the spice of life.

And while I might be in the minority, I really miss having arcades around. I have a lot of fond memories going to the arcade and playing games with my friends and family.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:54:34 PM PST
They are true professionals like that, you can tell just by the content of their article.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:56:40 PM PST
Harmicky says:
The bio for the author of this article consists of the following:

"Associate Contributor at Gaming Illustrated
Chad is a newcomer to Gaming Illustrated and writes editorials."

But hey, they're apparently the "definitive source for gaming information." DEFINITIVE!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:59:58 PM PST
They do have a Facebook so I posted a link to the article and my thoughts on it over there. I figure that will get some attention from them lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:59:59 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Used to have a blast at the arcades back in the 80s. The 90s not so much, as I never really got into fighting games and by then my friends and I played console games. But we still played the classics at arcades and anytime I played Street Fighter or MK, I got destroyed. But when I go to the drive-in or Chuck E. Cheese with my kids we have a blast playing the games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:01:30 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yeah, but the attention might just be a click of the delete button. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:02:45 PM PST
Meh at least I tried. I'm not going to sweat the small stuff that some random site on the internet is wrong. If I were that hard up on it there would be far bigger fish to fry than this website.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:03:15 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Mmmmm, fried fish...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:09:25 PM PST
IGN is one of my favorite sites to point out their glaring issues and their lack of research. I loved their article about Minecraft copy cat games and they claimed that Miner Dig Deep (which is nothing like Minecraft) was a clone of Minecraft when it actually released a few months before Minecraft did in its original form. I emailed them about it and nothing ever came of it. Their TV guy, Matt Fowler, is pretty awful at his job as well.

He rated the last season of Dexter pretty high the whole way through then after the season wrapped up he posts an article tearing the season apart, complaining that shows get a free pass like this because reviewers aren't willing to be that critical, and he also said he wants the writers to tell the story they want to tell and not worry about fan reactions and popular opinion... Then he complains that he didn't like some of the directions and wished they had done what he thought was the better way to it because stuff like Deb having feelings for Dexter made him uncomfortable...

Yea...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:11:25 PM PST
Harmicky says:
At the end of the day all they care about is the ad clicks. It's a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:13:22 PM PST
Pretty much, there are very few places out there I feel like are actually concerned about getting the facts across and actually reporting what is going on. Despite all the hate Jim Sterling gets I love the guy because he always speaks his mind and isn't worried about reactions or anything like that whether it's a review, an opinion piece, or something else.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions