Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Politician Suggests Taxing Violent Video Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 88 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 5:36:34 PM PST
http://www.pitch.com/plog/archives/2013/01/15/missouri-rep-diane-franklin-takes-aim-at-taxing-violent-video-games

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:37:38 PM PST
Do we tax "gangsta rap" or "death metal" albums more than we do other music?

If not, this is asinine.

If so, WTF?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:38:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 4:23:30 AM PST
Aku says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:42:33 PM PST
Hey says:
I think called that "violent" is pushing the meaning a bit farther than necessary. I have a feeling this will stick just like California trying to force places to card for video games. It's unconstitutional and won't happen.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:44:48 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
Man, I'm about to drop kick these politicians, so stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:45:33 PM PST
Hey says:
"Yeah, video games don't make me violent. I'm just going to dragon punch anyone who tells me I am violent!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:19:56 PM PST
KrisCo says:
Wait, in some states they don't card? For all my life you couldn't buy a M rated game without a photo id card. Even now the previous trip to Target, they scanned my Driver's License when I purchased a M rated game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:21:37 PM PST
Well said. I mean, Death Metal is the most underrated genre of music. It would be a shame to tax such beautiful music. Why would one want to do that to Blotted Science?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:24:29 PM PST
Biohazard says:
And if you buy cutesy kids games with lots of hearts and love the Govt. will send you a box of cookies in the mail.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:38:12 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
This is the kind of silly, small ripple that becomes a wave of full blown loony. It never fails, some government official gets some cockamamie idea, and the rest of the rubber stamps pass the envelope onto all of us. Eff' cancer research, eff' the homeless, eff' the economy...video games will be the crucible for our collective virtuoso!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:43:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 8:46:01 PM PST
Voice of god says:
There is no law requiring ID for video games in any state. Or for any form of media. It would violate the First Amendment.

If you get carded buying a game, it's that store's privately adopted policy to do so and observe the privately operated ESRB's ratings. Same deal with MPAA movie ratings and Parental Advisory CDs. None of that is the government and none of it is the law.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:46:08 PM PST
Why? So government can take more of our money and waste it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:48:10 PM PST
Voice of god says:
So Rep. Diane Franklin can pretend she tried to do something about something. She's not sure what.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:51:34 PM PST
Republican, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:54:23 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
Shoryuken to da face!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 3:30:09 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Why would we tax Death Metal? Melodic Death Metal, the majority of the bands that I listen to don't have curses in their songs... Or albums.... Or entire discography. If anything, this crap that passes for "rock music" should be taxed. It's like they are having a contest to see how many curse words they can fit into a song.

Besides, the subject matter in most of the melo-Death that I listen too isn't violent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 3:56:56 AM PST
I think gangsta rap beats out rock for violence, swears, and illegal substance abuse.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:05:38 AM PST
Politicians make lots of suggestions. 99% of the time nothing comes of them. I wouldn't really worry too much about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:09:19 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'd be more worried if it was Bloomberg behind it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:13:45 AM PST
Leave him alone!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:16:25 AM PST
Man, that new law in NY about only allowing mags with seven bullets instead of ten, NY is so liberal!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:17:59 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I didn't even hear about that. I was referring to the sugary drink tax and the ounce limit on sodas.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:22:09 AM PST
I figured.

This one about the reduced mag sizes was passed a few nights ago. It probably won't save any lives, just like the sugary drink tax and once limits won't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:39:29 AM PST
They're just stripping us of our rights by erosion. Little by little, until our beautiful seaside home sits at he bottom of the ocean. It's a brilliant strategy, really. No one will fuss about little losses, and both parties can blame each other for the lost ground and continue to grind, grind, grind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:03:44 AM PST
Ice King says:
Can we tax politicians who come up with stupid ideas next?

That would probably eliminate the national debt in no time.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  88
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions