Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Indie Developer Slams Mass Effect

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 3:15:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 6:56:12 PM PST
http://dorkshelf.com/2012/11/28/gamercamp-dyads-shawn-mcgrath/

I had to post this. Why? Because it's fun watching prima donna indie developers get ripped apart. Hey, I don't mind the guy's games at all, but come on.

Seriously, Mass Effect is not fit for a high school paper? Did I read that right?

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:26:59 PM PST
Meatwad says:
Someone is a bit arrogant. He kind of reminds me of those kind of Film Directors that whine about "The Death of Cinema" just because a Batman movie makes a Billion dollars at the Box Office.

Nice find, Tarantino! I'll make sure to show to some of my friends and get a good laugh out of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 4:29:29 PM PST
C.W. says:
Wow. What a total chode. Dude is entitled and entirely too in love his own ideas. Video games are just now starting to really get interesting in a narrative sense. He has no idea what he's talking about.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:37:47 PM PST
DVvM says:
You know, somebody else's game may not be "The Brothers Karamazov" but your game isn't either.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:40:34 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
He's like Uwe Boll

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 4:41:57 PM PST
Wow, that's harsh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 4:49:03 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I'm just recalling the whole spiel Boll made about not having the george clooneys of the world in his movies and things like that.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:51:29 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I love how he says "Dyad has a story!" but when asked what it is, pulls "I CAN'T TELL YOU! NYAH NYAH! It can't be put into text!!" out.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:57:51 PM PST
Aku says:
But he's right about the Mass Effect games not making use of your decisions. They put about as much effort into differentiating the endings as Boon/Tobias did when differentiating the Mortal Kombat ninjas.

That said, this dude's a total blowhard who has creative tunnel-vision.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:03:03 PM PST
Anthony says:
its accurate.

this guy is nothing more than a jealous D-Bag who likes the smell of his own farts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:53:10 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I enjoy Dyad, but I don't care what McGrath has to say about Mass Effect.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:07:06 PM PST
If indie developers weren't necessary to keep a balance in the gaming force, they could all go walk off a cliff. And take their stupid skinny jeans and ill fitting sweaters with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:09:22 PM PST
Don't forget about their smug poses!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:10:36 PM PST
DVvM says:
It's generally just a bad idea when creative types in video games rip other creative types of video games. It doesn't make you look good, it makes you look small.

I mean, it never works. The Dead Space guy saying Gears of War had "literally the worst writing in games" or the Assassin's Creed III guy saying Bayonetta's story is "literally gibberish". It makes *you* look bad when you say that sort of thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:44:29 PM PST
Personally, I think the absolutely wackiness of Bayonetta is what makes the game so entertaining...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:26:51 AM PST
A customer says:
Why? Why should video game producers in particular be sheltered from criticism from their peers?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 3:54:10 AM PST
Nothing, if they were actually peers. However, this is like some High School quarterback criticising the way that Tom Brady plays his game. They might play the same game, but in completely different arena's.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 5:31:13 AM PST
It's not that they should be sheltered from criticism. But this guy's criticisms are nonsensical, and the language he uses makes any reasonable debate impossible. He's just another example of an indie developer being so full of himself.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:32:49 AM PST
Whenever indie devs talk up their own games at the expense of the more mainstream, I think of this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-network/1841-Snobcon-2010

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:02:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 7:20:16 AM PST
"It's horrible because the choices that you make are so meaningless and people say, "Oh, but it's getting to a point where the whole galaxy is going to change based on your decisions," and I say, no, that's impossible, that's an NP-hard problem, that's a computer science problem where "that problem is not computable."

So attempting that is a worthless endeavor."

maybe meaningless in the object, but not in the subject. but this is old news (i.e. nihilism).

even if the choices made are mechanically meaningless, it still doesn't account for the emotional gravitas experienced by millions of ME fans--which is synonymous with meaning for them.

that doesn't sound like a worthless endeavor. placebo or not, the experience is tangible and enjoyable. The ability to evoke inspiration in the wake of vacancy is one of art's (video games') most defining qualities; whether it's an NP-hard problem or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:22:47 AM PST
This.

I can't begin to count all of the decisions I fought over, trying to do what I felt my Shepard would do in any given circumstance. The weight I gave those decisions gave the games depth to me and made the experience emotionally engrossing because I wanted the game to become my game. Bioware did this for me, so I'm happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:31:00 AM PST
Jeebus, well put my friend.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:45:51 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
It's too bad this guy's game sucks something awful, otherwise he might have a shred of credibility.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:54:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 7:55:10 AM PST
shiftless says:
So this guy is saying, "games like Mass Effect can't tell a story because they're trying to tell a story, but my game totally tells a story because I don't care about telling a story." Did I read that correctly?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:03:56 AM PST
You summed it up nicely and also in a hilarious manner. +2 internets for you.

♪♫ <--- Internets
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions