Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Walmart Black Friday Strike?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 201 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:11:03 AM PST
Yeah, but these people aren't kids. These are grown ups. You can't just abuse the heck out of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:11:17 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Oh, I just wanted to show that even the stores that open at 8:00pm are still having people come in around 3:00pm.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:12:35 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Yes you can, they have a choice to work there or not, if they don't like the policies they can quit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:13:00 AM PST
Exactly, it isn't slavery. If you don't treat your employees well, you'll have high turnover, employee theft, maybe even sabotage. Or worse, pubes in your grilled cheese. Maybe you'll even go out of business *cough* Hostess *cough*.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:13:30 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Good for them, I am sure movie theater employees are coming in at 10:00am and doctors and nurses are working all day.
Do you have a point?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:14:13 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Do you think Walmart cares about high turnover? No. The training probably takes about 2 hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:14:47 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
They can choose to treat their employees like crap up to the legal limit but that also gives employees the right to fight back just as hard against them. Walmart can't expect to keep happy employees or employees at all if they don't know how how to treat their employees correctly. After all, if they don't have employees they really don't have anything at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:15:05 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
You need to get your facts straight, Hostess went out of business because no one wanted to eat Twinkies any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:15:31 AM PST
Soulshine says:
If the policies include direction to act like everyone's off on Thanksgiving just like last year, then announce that people have to come in the week before the holiday - then yes I would totally quit. But if I was in a position where I had to work at Walmart I don't know what I'd actually do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:16:07 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
There is an endless supply of uneducated people looking for a job. Walmart is willing to hire those people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:17:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:20:30 AM PST
His point is basically "B-b-but it's Thanksgiving, wah!"

It's one day that just so happens to be the day before the biggest sale all year. Consumers - In general - love savings. I'm sorry that Walmart is trying to meet these demands/lessen the amount of crazies there on the morning of black Friday by opening late on Thanksgiving *Shrugs*

"If you treat 'em like crap long enough, no one will want to work for you."

If Wal-Mart is treating them like crap, then by that same logic the sheriffs office treats my brother-in-law like crap since he's required to be on patrol on Thanksgiving. Oh, but noooo - Since my brother-in-law actually worked his butt off for his (necessary) job title he is excluded from the argument at hand, right? Haha...Ridiculous.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:17:37 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
This entire argument is ridiculous, it is like you think no one ever has had to work on Thanksgiving before.
Get a clue people, people have to work all day on holidays all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:19:48 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Just people a person works at Walmart does not mean they aren't educated. A comment like that honestly makes you just look ignorant.

You are right that there will always people looking for jobs though so there are always new people to hire. Hopefully it comes back to bite them on the butt though. It would be good for Walmart to be taken down a peg or two so they can learn how to properly treat their employees.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:20:19 AM PST
Soulshine says:
My intention was to clarify the idea that opening at 8:00 pm means they've already had plenty of time for thanksgiving, as previously suggested in the thread. If they in fact have to be there at 3:00 then this is not the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:20:52 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Please, they're not stretching to meet demand, they're extending Black Friday for their own gain. They're not doing it for the people. Just like movies that come out on Wednesday count Wednesday through Sunday as opening weekend, even though typically the weekend is counted Friday through Sunday for movie sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:22:26 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
You didn't read what I wrote, which makes you ignorant. I said, "There is an endless supply of uneducated people looking for a job." I didn't say all Walmart employees are uneducated.
Nice try with the Straw Man.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:22:29 AM PST
Regardless of their intentions - which neither you nor I can speak for accurately - They are well within their right to ask their employees to work.

Why do you think that Amazon has started their black Friday sales now?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:22:30 AM PST
Soulshine says:
No, but that was my point when I told you that this issue is not based purely on logic. Like when I said that you don't care and I agreed and said that I don't care either. The part you seemed to ignore was my next point - that I can't know what others care about, and others may have an emotional attachment to this holiday.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:23:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:27:14 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
"Regardless of their intentions - which neither you nor I can speak for accurately"

Why not? Companies don't act altruistically for the good of the consumer. Seems like a pretty easy thing to speak accurately even with limited insider information.

Also, does Amazon have warehouse workers working on Thanksgiving? Pulling, filling, packing and shipping orders?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:24:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:27:36 AM PST
"I can't know what others care about, and others may have an emotional attachment to this holiday."

I didn't ignore this point, lol...It just seemed to be a rather futile effort at pulling at my emotional side, honestly. What if I am emotionally attached to Tuesday of next week, can I tell my employer that I am not coming to work because of this - regardless of their needs?

Your #1 objective as an employee is to satisfy (hehe) the needs of your employer. If you disagree with this you can chose to end employment or take the risk of upsetting your employer and loosing your job by not showing up.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:26:55 AM PST
I'm surprised that corporations are more loved around here than people. Of course, legally corporations are people, so there's that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:27:03 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
The way you said it could have been easily read as that though.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:28:25 AM PST
diesel says:
so its your brother in laws fault that donut shop has to be open on thanksgiving

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:29:31 AM PST
"Companies don't act altruistically for the good of the consumer."

There you go making presumptions again. It's never wise to presume the intentions of anybody - whether it be a company or a person - which is why I said this.

Your point about Amazon filling package on Thanksgiving is null - I was responding to your comment that "They're extending Black Friday for their own gain" which is also what Amazon is doing now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:30:29 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I'm not trying to do anything other than ask you to see the employee's perspective.

As in: I work at Walmart. We always get off on Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to a little time off and spending a day with family. Maybe I even made travel arrangements, and that's a big deal because I don't have a lot of money.

Oh, the week before Thanksgiving we're now told we have to work. This could have been communicated much earlier to allow me to plan around it. I'm insulted at such an unreasonable request, but if I was given more notice - maybe before the first of the month - then it wouldn't be such a big deal.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Sony is the only one that lack any money making IP's 136 1 second ago
Nintendo nx is a portable console with detachable controllers 140 50 seconds ago
Game recomendations needed for a shared computer 9 1 minute ago
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 6634 1 minute ago
Who else will abandon the sinking ship known as Sony? 10 1 minute ago
OT: Democratic National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Philadelphia this week 489 2 minutes ago
Injustice 2: Wonder Woman and Blue Beetle reveal trailer 13 6 minutes ago
PS4 Rise of the Tomb Raider Preorders Come With Free Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition 13 6 minutes ago
POKEMON GO (Honest Game Trailers) 1 12 minutes ago
OT: Dozens Killed in Mass Stabbing at Facility for the Disabled in Japan 118 16 minutes ago
OT: Anti-Semitism runs rampant in the Democratic Party as Hank Johnson compares Jews in Israel to "termites" 81 20 minutes ago
The Witcher - Leveling 150 29 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  201
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions