Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Developers can set their own sales on Wii U eShop; no basic fees on patches

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 9:43:06 PM PST
This is...freaking awesome!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/nintendos-steams-up-the-wii-u-eshop

<snip>

"That's what we love about the new eShop," said Haveri. "We have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys. The step to this is purely from Nintendos's side and they clearly see that [their] previous installments have not been up to par. We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly."

<snip>

"They have pushed away all of the old methods that have been established before," Haveri told me. "Simply put they've told us that there are no basic payments for each patch (which were pretty high on most platforms) and that we can update our game almost as much as we want. For indie developers this is huge."

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:21:03 AM PST
Bump for the weekday weirdos. I think this is a pretty big deal and could force Microsoft and Sony to change their evil ways.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:27:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 5:27:34 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
No 40k per patch like MS?! Nintendo = fail!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:27:28 AM PST
Jon says:
Im loving this purchase more and more every day. After using the tablet controller, I really don't want to go back to 360/PS3. And now with the news that Nintendo is really supporting developers, including indie, things look bright.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:29:38 AM PST
It's actually good news; I am surprised I haven't heard one thing yet about the online system from the VGF folk.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:31:54 AM PST
.we don't really know it is 40k per patch but remember that both of the other console companies charge for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:32:43 AM PST
Jon says:
Wii U online system: You have a nickname and gamertag. Nickname is what is primarily shown. Everything I post on Miiverse has "Jon" as the tag. Others can see "Nohons" if they go to my profile. The system is very connected. While playing ZombiU I can pause it, press the Home button, open up Miiverse, share a screenshot, read some comments, then launch right back into my game by closing the Home menu. This menu can also be used for friends list, messages, web browser, etc, all in game. The wii u shop is nice but if you thought PS3 was bad with loading, you're going to hate the Wii U shop.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:43:25 AM PST
PS3 is bad with loading NOW, since they updated it with the new look. I am sure the Wii U shop will get faster lol.

Have you tried any online games? Mic? Voice messaging while in game? Voice party while in game?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:27:06 AM PST
Glad to hear this, especially that developers can set their own prices and sales dates. That should definitely help attract the Indie developer crowd plus not having to pay for patching as well.

This is kind of odd because I thought Nintendo was supposed to suck with this sort of thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:45:09 AM PST
Nintendo could have replaced this guy with an android programmed to say whatever they want.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:31:32 AM PST
Jon says:
A little online functionality with ZombiU. I've run into a few people's corpses but other than that I haven't gone online or tried out the mic.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:43:57 AM PST
Ed Jones says:
Hopefully, it can download patches proactively via the PS Plus style.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions