Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Another mistake like Final Fantasy XIV would likely destroy Square

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 4:01:11 PM PST
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/27/yoshida-another-mistake-like-ff14-would-destroy-square

Naoki Yoshida has revealed that he feels another mistake like Final Fantasy XIV would end up "destroying" Square Enix.

Speaking with Kotaku, the game's producer and director explained that his team is fully aware of the pressure on them to salvage the brand's reputation following the poor reception the MMO received. He asserted that this was why they were determined not to launch the revamped Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn until they feel the game is ready.

"We won't make a mistake like FFXIV again," he said. "If we did, it would be like at the level of destroying the company."

Final Fantasy XIV launched back in 2010 to a negative reaction from fans and critics alike, resulting in Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada saying "the Final Fantasy brand has been greatly damaged."

Just why the game didn't fare particularly well has been the subject of much scrutiny over the last couple of years, but now Yoshida himself has waded in with his thoughts. Filling both the producer and director roles for the game since December 2010, when the previous producer of the game resigned and left the company, he's now revealed he had qualms about the state of the game even before he was involved with it.

"When I heard that it was going to go on sale as planned, I thought, that will probably be a big mistake," he admitted, before saying he believes the fundamental error made was that lessons weren't learned from other MMOs. The original team supposedly were just trying to make an MMO that felt different from Final Fantasy XI, which Yoshida believes was a mistake.

"I think it would've been good if they tried seeing what happened if they turned World of Warcraft into Final Fantasy. So, because they tried only to make something that was 'different from FFXI,' they ended up with not much of anything.

"They should have said, 'Hey you, go play WoW for a year [for inspiration].'

"Unless you are a genius, you cannot make something completely new from nothing."

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:15:00 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
They might as well call quits while they're ahead then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:22:05 PM PST
Anthony says:
this just in from the future: new ff mmo destroys square enix!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:23:47 PM PST
I hope things get so bad that they somehow get Sakaguchi on board to fix Final Fantasy.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:26:33 PM PST
Dear Square Enix-

Please stop making MMOs.

Sincerely,
Fans of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:30:13 PM PST
Rumor has it that Sakaguchi was turned into a stone statue and is currently laying in someone's front yard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:30:40 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
Exactly.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:35:44 PM PST
A customer says:
When your MMO makes The Matrix Online look like the greatest game ever made in comparison, there's a problem. I rue that there will never be a new masterpiece bearing the Final Fantasy name ever again

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:38:15 PM PST
YES!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:43:18 PM PST
Joel H. says:
Everytime i read FFXI hate i just get lost.. what exactly about this game ruined the franchise for you all? Matrix online? The fact that parties were mostly required and the somewhat steep learning curve in the beginning or what?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:45:05 PM PST
Anthony says:
i just plain hate mmo's. never played this one in particular. and ffxiii has caused me to lose faith in the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:46:16 PM PST
Those damned malboros are a menace.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:32:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 3:16:40 AM PST
If you ask me they should just forget FF XIV and pretend it never happened. After all it was never released on its primary platform anyway (Playstation)

They should focus instead on making a truely exceptional FF XV single player experience.

I find this whole situation very odd - most companies just learn from their dud's and move on. They dont try pick them up again and pour more money into them. The damage is already done, and they are going to be in even more trouble if this "remade version" fails too.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:50:07 AM PST
TimesTicking says:
If Square Enix keeps on making FF13 they would destroy themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:59:59 AM PST
Biohazard says:
Maybe 13 was the lucky number for Square Enix. Maybe their 13 remakes will produce 1 'great' game.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:29:57 AM PST
Why are more and more gamers becoming obsessed with hoping companies die? (I'm not saying the TC Is, but a lot are and it baffles me)

That is a lot of peoples jobs that would be lost if a company died, think about what your cheering for. Hundreds sometimes more people jobless.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:50:06 AM PST
I dont think anyone here wants Sqeenix to die.
Its more a case of us watching sadly while the company seems to be making more and more mistakes - that are ultimately putting them in a serious situation.

I think most gamers on the VGF have a soft spot for Final Fantasy - and its sad seeing what is happening to a beloved franchise. We certainly arent rooting for it do die.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:53:20 AM PST
some really do want it to die, but it isn't just Square, some want Sony to die, some want EA to die, some want bioware to die, some want Microsoft or Nintendo to die. Blizzard is a big one people hate.

I didn't mean it as a VGF only thing, it's EVERYWHERE. People want games to fail all the time, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:54:29 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Because it's better to burn out than to fade away.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:55:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 4:55:56 AM PST
it made me sad when 38 Studios went under. That was a lot of people that lost their job, and they even made a good game! It actually made me sick that people were cheering when they closed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:12:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:16:36 AM PST
Anthony says:
it pissed me off when it went under. to be more specific, it caused me to get pissed off at that imbecile curt schilling.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:20:21 AM PST
He spent everything he had on it.

And he still couldn't do anything to stop it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:38:57 AM PST
Anthony says:
it went under because he made moronic mistakes. an mmo from a start up game company? what kind of moron thinks THAT's a good idea? they are the riskiest type of games to make. spending too much and buying up crap they don't need. hiring relatives who for the most part weren't qualified for their jobs. and in the one case where they were (his wife's uncle) they had no experience in video games. his refusal to take the blame for his screw ups, his trying to blame the collapse of 38 students on the governor of rhode island.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/2012/07/38-studios-end-game/

its a bit more sympathetic than i think he deserves, but it covers all the relevant points.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:41:23 AM PST
Wow I have no idea why but that link is blocked at my workplace, I'll have to take a look when I get home... i'll try to remember :p

The man had a dream, and I can appreciate that. He did make some bad decisions, i can't deny that. But it is still a shame that it happene din the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:42:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:49:36 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Final Fantasy XI is one of the best MMO's ever. They made some mistakes with XIV, but I am guessing A Realm Reborn is going to be fantastic.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions