Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PlayStation All-Stars Goes Gold, Opening Cinematic and Final Boss Unveiled

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 11:43:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:43:51 AM PST
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/08/playstation-all-stars-goes-gold-opening-cinematic-and-final-boss-unveiled/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PSBlog+%28PlayStation.Blog%29

Stretching back from my roots as a tournament player to my current gig as lead game designer for Sony's Santa Monica Studio, I've spent over two decades in fighting games, and have been thrilled to revisit so many great memories from my own PlayStation history with the characters and stages of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

I'm here today on behalf of SuperBot Entertainment, Bluepoint Games, and Santa Monica Studio to announce that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has gone gold on PS3 and PS Vita! All of us are extremely grateful for the help from our beta players in testing our networking, and thrilled to see the amazing response from all of you that played the beta, which is just a small slice of the full game.

In celebration of this milestone, we wanted to share something special as a small "thank you!" to all the amazing PlayStation fans who have helped us come so far. Today we're officially unveiling the opening cinematic sequence to the game. We've been pretty tight-lipped about our final boss, but if you hang in until the end you'll get a glimpse of the villainous mastermind that's returned from the depths of PlayStation history to pull the strings in All-Stars.

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below and if your interest is piqued, remember to pre-order All-Stars today! Pre-ordering scores you an exclusive costume for every character in the game, and with Cross-Buy, every PS3 copy comes with a download code for the PS Vita version at the low, low cost of zero!

Thanks again to PlayStation fans around the world for your incredible support, and come November 20th, I'll see you online - just look for the unbeatable Drake player at the top of the leaderboards. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RxTYkuSIjk4

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:46:23 AM PST
I can only hope that it's Dr. Neo Cortex.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:46:28 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Wow! I remember that dude for the finale boss. He was there than just disappeared forever.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:47:31 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
How many units sold=gold status? (I know I sound really dense here)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:48:10 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
"Going gold" in this case means the game is complete and ready for production.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:48:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:49:04 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Gold just means it's releasing on time. No delays.

Ninja'd

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:49:03 AM PST
So has anyone seen the video? Any guesses on who the boss is? I can't pull it up cause I'm at work.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:49:17 AM PST
gold = 250,000
platinum = 1,000,000

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:49:37 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
Oh okay. I see that in video game threads from time to time and thought it was like music sales or somethin.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:49:53 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I have heard very good things about Smash Sony Bros. I expect it to be much better than Super LBP Kart.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:50:12 AM PST
started with music sales

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:51:22 AM PST
Prankster says:
I see what you did there. That's smart. +1

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:57:53 AM PST
Is the final boss a giant hand?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:02:13 PM PST
Benpachi says:
Yep, a giant hand with a mohawk and wheelchair. Sony is not getting sued!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:03:10 PM PST
False.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:05:12 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
It started from when disc-based games first started being printed, the master was always gold. "Going gold" in the video game world has nothing to do with sales. It simply means the game is complete and has been released to manufacturing. It's good news because it means there's no possibility of further delay, unless it's related to manufacturing/shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:19:39 PM PST
Kin-foot says:
Spoiler-ish I guess?

Polygon Man is the final boss. This guy goes back to PS1 beginnings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_Man

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:21:25 PM PST
Hmm...what game is he from? Sorry I know it would say that at the link, just not able to follow it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:22:59 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
According to the wiki he wasn't part of any game. He was a mascot for the PS1 before the system even launched. Kutaragi hated it (something about the way he was shaded that I don't understand), so they started using other characters instead (Crash Bandicoot, Parappa the Rapper).

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:24:55 PM PST
Weird, never heard that before. Interesting choice for a boss that will be fighting Big Daddy, Kratos, Drake, ect...

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:27:31 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
what happened to surprises in the video game industry? You know, waiting until you get to the end to see the final boss, keeping weapons hidden from the public.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:28:12 PM PST
The internet happened.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:30:02 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Going "Gold" in music sales means you've sold 500,000 copies (in the U.S., anyway). The same term in video games means that the game is completed and is ready for mass printing.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:30:33 PM PST
Aku says:
Mildly amused at the complete lack of actual gameplay they show off in the trailer, along with a weird Smurfed up color tone to hide the bland art style/blending you find in the actual game. Oh, and an "All Star" character from a reboot that's yet to be released.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:32:02 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Well I need to use the restroom and I'm Going Gold.

If you catch my drift.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions