Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Tomb Raider goes a bit too far with death sequences?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2013 10:37:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 10:40:45 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I was watching the Conan o Brien fake review when all of a sudden Lara dies impaled in the THROAT by a big wooden stick in a river.
And then I found this montage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XRO3rfCIPo4

I gotta say, I can take Mortal Kombat fatalities any time of the day, but watching Lara die like that lacks a little taste.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:44:49 PM PST
Jonathan says:
So, watching a guy rip a spine out of another guy to celebrate a victory is okay, but a gruesome death scene to drive home how hard it is to survive isn't?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:46:58 PM PST
Scratchy says:
I've seen worse in Dead Space.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 10:48:31 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Because violence in Mortal Kombat is expected and taken as lightly as possible. Babalities? Animalities?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:55:42 PM PST
Are any of those death scenes any worse then what we've seen in other action adventure games?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:55:58 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
Sexist

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 11:05:06 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Just because something is unexpected doesn't mean it's lacking taste, or vice versa. And it's kind of hard to put Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat in the same category beyond "video games."

Let's put it this way - if there *wasn't* the constant threat of a gruesome death and when you screwed up all you got was a black screen saying "You're dead" without actually seeing what killed you, would you still have a visceral reaction to it, and have the subsequent desire to not have that happen again?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 11:08:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 11:11:25 PM PST
Subject7 says:
I guess seeing it happen to a character with a likeable personality makes it more cringe inducing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 11:13:00 PM PST
Jonathan says:
True. If I'm playing Gears of War, I think nothing of when I headshot a Locust and their head pops like an overripe melon, but when my character gets curb-stomped I wince.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 11:24:55 PM PST
Krypto says:
I found that whole segment hilarious especially when Conan kept activating the death sequence.

But yeah, Tomb Raider's death scenes pail in comparison to the death scenes in Re4. I guess you could say there more unexpected in TR but not really, with all the crazy crap Laura's doing I'd expect her to get impaled on something.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 11:27:19 PM PST
Jonathan says:
"I didn't even have time to mourn!"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 11:31:38 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
Men don't wince, pansy

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 11:33:54 PM PST
Fap says:
Death should make one cringe. It seems like the developers did a good job on creating both the sudden/harsh reality of death (it ain't pretty) and a character you actually care enough about to want to see them live.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 11:49:45 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Not so much wince as in "ew, disgusting;" more like "oh, well, that sucked."

That being said, I'll go put my skirt back on and let you call me Sally.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 3:43:14 AM PST
I've heard this mentioned, but I can't imagine these scenes are any worse than the stuff in Dead Space.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 3:46:16 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I think the graphical powerhouse nature of the game is having that impact on something that has long been done elsewhere. Its a pretty realistic presentation, so it 'feels' more effective in conveying it.

It only bothers me a little bit because, after only playing with the new Lara for about an hour, i was already deeply in love with her :D

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 5:00:14 AM PST
Have you seen the animated Dead Space movie? Seriously, a chick gets split in half.......it was awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 5:13:34 AM PST
Male chauvinist pig!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 5:47:45 AM PST
They were going for a gritty, gory, reboot. After putting 4-5 hours into the game, I have to say some of them are pretty visceral, but not exceedingly extreme.

They don't last long and you respawn almost instantly. I've probably accidentally killed Lara about 50 times already.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:05:28 AM PST
Subject7 says:
On the plus side, Lara dishes out equal punishment to the much deserving islanders. The gruesomeness of these kills makes it that much more satisfying.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:09:42 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
i watched that the other day and it took me by surprise. i dont think there is anything wrong with it though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:10:16 AM PST
pyroguy says:
"AvP 2010" has Mortal Kombat-ish fatalities when performing a stealth/trophy kill while playing as the Alien or Predator

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:16:31 AM PST
Is wanting to die over and over again while getting your rocks off wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:17:52 AM PST
Wrong? no. Creepy? Yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:25:28 AM PST
not on the first date, got it
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions