Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Project Copernicus "only ten yards" from completion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2013 5:41:35 PM PST
http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/14/project-copernicus-only-ten-yards-from-completion/

Project Copernicus "only ten yards" from completion
Art director Todd McFarlane has said the Kingdoms of Amalur MMO, Project Copernicus, was very close to complete when 38 Studios folded.

"I'm hoping that once the dust settles maybe somebody will be smart enough to come in there and then just take it to the finish line," told Kotaku at the Toy Fair.

"It's only ten yards away from the goal line. Curt [Schilling, 38 Studios boss] got it 90 yards. If somebody wants to take it the other ten yards they're going to have a hell of a game on their hands."

The Spawn creator said that if he had "the extra cash" he'd do it himself because Copernicus is "that cool".

"We come up with Reckoning, which was the console game but the big one - yeah, that was the super sexy. That was the one that to me was gonna raise the bar," he said.

Other ex-38 Studios staffers have said the MMO wasn't a lot of fun before 38 Studios went under. Rhode Island and other creditors now own the developer's assets and are expected to auction them.

Kotaku made the interview available as a video, so you can watch it in full below; the Copernicus talk begins at 5:20 or so.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 5:43:09 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Todd McFarlane doesnt have the extra cash? I call b.s. on that one.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 5:44:26 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
However, it would be cool to see this game finished.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 5:45:18 PM PST
I was thinking the same thing. I mean how much it would really cost him?

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 5:46:18 PM PST
As much as I would love for more KoA, the IP wasn't the Star Wars that Schilling hoped for. I fear that McFarlane has the same blinders on, preventing him from seeing how reality is when you consider the market for MMO's right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 5:46:56 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
No doubt. Besides, the dude is loaded. I can walk through my house and count at least 30 McFarlane figurines, minimum, lol.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 5:47:27 PM PST
And the 49ers were 7 yards away from winning the Super Bowl.

The issue here is not "how close are you" but "how much is it going to cost to finish." If it's not much, I could see someone buying it and publishing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 5:48:39 PM PST
Really, the fact that a) it's an MMO and b) KoA: Reckoning was kind of soulless are really going to hold this back.

I mean, I had fun playing Amalur, but I'm not exactly excited to revisit the setting, and I'm sure not going to pay a subscription fee for that right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 5:58:41 PM PST
KoA flourished in my mind because of the gameplay, not so much the story. Personally, I enjoyed the MQ but I could see where some wouldn't. A game with immersive combat with a skill tree that really impacted how you played is something that is sorely missing from this gen. If they could have added local co-op, it would have been perfection to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 6:01:36 PM PST
Yeah it was pretty soulless, but soulless in the way that The Silmarillion was. It's packed full of good ground-level lore and hooks that a decent writer who knew how to write characters could really exploit. MMOs generally don't require deep character development anyway. So a good scenario with some decent faction leaders can go much farther than in a single-player game (see Guild Wars 2).

The MMO thing should be a non-issue. With the code on ice along with the IP, a dev could pick it up and finish it with little capital expenditure (how little is, as you stated, the question). Then make it a free-to-play on STEAM selling "starter kits", boosts, etc. for cash. They could possibly even justify a Guild Wars 2 style buy-to-play model w/microtransactions.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 6:02:33 PM PST
Nicos says:
Yes, because if anybody knows how to gauge how close an MMO was to completion, it is Todd "Spawn" McFarlane.

I wonder if all he saw was that flythrough video of the world, haha. "Yeah, just stick some quests in there and this game is good to go!"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 8:54:06 PM PST
Yeah, I doubt this.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 9:02:16 PM PST
I actually think the lore is pretty awesome...I have yet to finish the game, but as I understand it the state of the world changes signicantly.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 5:14:21 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I smell Gearbox's next project.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions