Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

"We Can Kill The Industry With Cynicism" - 1 hr Ken Levine Interview

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2013 2:12:22 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsjALh2vYA

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 4:01:05 PM PDT
I agree that I find the all out cynicism of the industry to be extremely painful to deal with. There are times where I myself feel physically and mentally drained due to a cynical attitude towards gaming as a whole. I want to love games again.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 4:29:40 PM PDT
Horowitz says:
I watched chunks of this. He's a very smart man and quite interesting to listen to. His defense of the box art was a strong one.

Tomb Raider had a woman on the front cover and sold really well, though the Tomb Raider name is one that carries over into the mainstream because of the movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 4:30:30 PM PDT
I'm glad he never attacked Blow. Didn't sink to his level. I know both of them don't like each other.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 4:32:15 PM PDT
DVvM says:
I'm honestly not sure that an industry, or a medium, that can be killed with cynicism really deserves to live.

I mean, you can't kill books, movies, or music (as institutions) with cynicism.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 5:51:12 PM PDT
"I mean, you can't kill books, movies, or music (as institutions) with cynicism."

I disagree. Cynicism is a destructive force, it can be a *beneficial* destruction (tearing down old or outdated ideals, for instance) but it bears no fruit. Cynicism must be balanced with creation. When you say something is broken, suggest how to fix it. Instead of generating post after post about how certain games are failing your expectations, post about how other games are exceeding them.

Cynicism is healthy and it definitely beats blind faith in an industry, but let us not forget to build with one hand as we break with the other.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 5:58:25 PM PDT
DVvM says:
I agree with that, but what I'm saying is that if you have so little constructive being done in your industry that cynicism poses a threat to your very existence, it will probably not be a significant loss if you are undone by cynicism.

We shouldn't say "Cynicism is bad, let's do away with it" the counterforce should be in something that's actively constructive, not something that's defensive or reactionary.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 6:03:10 PM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
It does feel like sometimes that gamers as a whole are an angry bunch full of cynicism about their hobby. On this very board people join into factions and go to war with each other under the flag of their favorite electronic box.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 6:31:23 PM PDT
He does make a good argument on the why he made Infinite cover the themes it does because he wants games to become more mature and out of the box with their storytelling. It's a good point because most games play it safe and you really don't because you'll never get the full potential if you do.

Ken Levine is a very likable person. I can't wait for any of his new IPs in the future.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 6:02:23 AM PDT
System Shock: The Return - 2015

i'm just talking crazy here lol
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions