Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Animator creates mod to make Zelda the heroine of The Legend of Zelda

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 152 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 17, 2013 12:49:13 PM PDT
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/17/4115548/animator-creates-mod-to-make-zelda-the-heroine-of-the-legend-of-zelda

Animator creates mod to make Zelda the heroine of The Legend of Zelda

By Megan Farokhmanesh on Mar 17, 2013 at 2:30p @Megan_Nicolett

Inspired by Mike Mika's recent Donkey Kong hack for his daughter, hobbyist animator Kenna W. created a modded version of The Legend of Zelda that stars the titular princess herself.

Kenna detailed the three-day project on her blog. Much of the work was done by editing the game's sprites.

"For me, I played my first Zelda game when I was pretty young, and at the time, I thought the game did star Princess Zelda," Kenna wrote. "I figured I'd get to play as a magical battle princess that saved her kingdom. The game was fun, but I was bummed out that I never got to play as Zelda."

Kenna also shared the patch download on her site for others to enjoy. You can watch Zelda battle her way through Hyrule to save Link in the video above.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 12:52:12 PM PDT
Didn't someone else make a romhack of this years ago?

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 1:42:12 PM PDT
Jake Johns says:
Yeah, I think some guy did that for his daughter

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 1:53:37 PM PDT
I dont see the original tomb raider games getting modded.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 1:56:54 PM PDT
There was something that made everyone refer to Link as female. That's the only thing I recall.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 1:59:18 PM PDT
I was 5 years old when I first played Zelda. I though the green guys was Zelda, lol.

"I dont see the original tomb raider games getting modded. "
Why?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 2:01:26 PM PDT
The one I can recall about the romhack for his daughter was Windwaker, where they just changed all the text to refer to the protagonist as "Zelda".

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 2:02:17 PM PDT
She should totally call this hack "The Legend of Link" just to keep up the nostalgic confusion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 2:02:24 PM PDT
Yup, he modded Wind Waker.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-09-man-mods-wind-wakers-pronouns-to-make-link-a-female-role-model

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 3:00:12 PM PDT
user22 says:
There was also another one of these stories recently where a guy hacked the old school Donkey Kong for his daughter so she could play as Pauline rescuing Mario.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/damsel-not-distress-dad-hacks-donkey-kong-his-daughter-1C8781257

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:27:10 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:36:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2013 6:38:31 PM PDT
Why not?

I mean, nobody's making you play that version of the game. If people have the ability and tools to mod a game, shouldn't they make the game more like the game they want to play?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:39:15 PM PDT
Okay...?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:39:46 PM PDT
It just irks me, for some odd reason.

But why would they not want to play as Link? I know Zelda's name is in the title, but I don't get why they would change it, or why they would change the gender for their child.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:42:27 PM PDT
I think it's unreasonable to be irked by this.

If I prefer a story in which a lady is the hero, or my (purely hypothetical) daughter does, then I will take whichever steps I can to provide said story.

I mean, just like little boys, little girls also like to be the stars of the narratives of their own imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:43:27 PM PDT
But then little girls could play, you know, Metroid instead of Zelda.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 6:43:42 PM PDT
This would make Anita Sarkeesian happy.

I mean that as a compliment.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:44:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2013 6:44:40 PM PDT
And if you're already done with metroid?

It's not like there are a lot of games with female protagonists, particularly not ones that are appropriate for young children.

What if the kid doesn't like space stories, she likes fantasy stories?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:45:18 PM PDT
You still have the other Metroid games, and Pokemon lets you choose the gender of the trainer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:46:43 PM PDT
Where's the White Entertainment Television, amirite?!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:47:28 PM PDT
Please explain that joke to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:50:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2013 6:51:12 PM PDT
So there are maybe a dozen games that are okay for the daughter to play, for which I will need an NES, a Game Boy, a Gameboy Color, a SNES, a GBA, a gamecube, a DS, and a Wii.

And if the (purely hypothetical) daughter is uninterested in science fiction bounty hunters and pokemon, but really likes fantasy stories what am I supposed to do then?

I just can't wrap my head around "I have a problem with someone else wanting to genderswap something for their own entertainment." I mean, I can see not wanting to do that for yourself, but that's like objecting that other people put vinegar on french fries.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:52:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2013 6:53:00 PM PDT
And 3DS, because the daughter could also play Pokemon.

Look, I have no idea why it irks me, but, do what you want to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:57:34 PM PDT
I think you should examine why it irks you and honestly evaluate whether or not that's reasonable.

I mean, if I wanted to mod Legend of Zelda so that Link and Zelda are black, would that bother you?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 6:59:16 PM PDT
I would just leave the sprites alone, but that's just me.

I have a hard time thinking that it's reasonable or unreasonable to be irked by this.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  152
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions