Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

At Least One Gamer Is Pissed At Sony For A Small, But Misleading Vita Description

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2013 2:38:07 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
http://kotaku.com/5985080/at-least-one-gamer-is-pissed-at-sony-for-a-small-but-misleading-vita-description

Earlier this year, Kotaku reader Lewis bought a PlayStation Vita. He bought two 32 GB memory cards: one for games and applications, and the other for music.

"I figured I could use it as an mp3 player as well as a gaming console," Lewis told us. "Unfortunately, that is not the case."

As Lewis soon discovered, the product description on the Vita's 32 GB memory card isn't entirely accurate. According to the box, the card can hold over 9,000 songs:

But as Lewis points out, the Vita stopped him at 4,000 songs:

"Naturally, I contacted Sony customer support," Lewis said. "Talking to two different representatives, I was first told there was no limit, then when I was proven right they told me to buy another memory stick for the rest of the music. No help, no reason why there is this arbitrary limitation."

Sony's website confirms the restriction. You can only save 4,000 songs to use offline on your machine.

While it's true that technically the memory card could hold 32 gigabytes worth of music, this is a propriety piece of hardware-in other words, you can only use it on the Vita. So why does the memory card's product description say that you can save up to 9,136 songs? This might not be a huge deal to most customers, but for people like Lewis, who bought two memory cards just for this purpose, it's no small problem.

We reached out to Sony for an explanation two weeks ago, when we first heard Lewis's story. Sony has not gotten back to us.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 2:45:04 PM PST
If he likes to overpay for stuff, why didn't he just stick with Apple?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 2:50:17 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I personally don't see the big deal of this but mostly because the most I am ever able to fit on 32GB is about 3,000 - 3,500 songs. I don't see how people can ever get even close to 9,000 songs on that amount of space.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 2:53:42 PM PST
High quality 32Kbps MP3s, baby!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 2:56:00 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<I don't see how people can ever get even close to 9,000 songs on that amount of space.>>

maybe they're very short songs.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 2:59:59 PM PST
Joel H. says:
I don't think 9,000 good songs.. exist.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 3:00:53 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think I own more than 9,000 good songs.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:04:51 PM PST
DeadCell says:
Three words.... get over it.
followed by four more words... buy a mp3 player

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 3:06:43 PM PST
DVvM says:
But he bought something based on something in the product description, and this description turned out to be erroneous. Doesn't he have a valid complaint?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 3:13:42 PM PST
Joel H. says:
I'm so happy you've decided to respond to me! Ice... consider yourself broken.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:28:00 PM PST
JWK says:
Are there 9000 versions of Tori Amos' "Mr. Zebra?" If so, that might work. I think the song is 30 seconds long.

Oh, and you're welcome, Lewis.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:38:09 PM PST
I saw this yesterday but thought it was too stupid to post. The Vita is a terrible device to use as a primary music player. That said, if Sony advertises that a single card can hold 9,000 songs then they should comp this guy the cost of the card.

There are some annoying aspects about the Vita but I do not think this is particularly news worthy.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:39:46 PM PST
Zeus Carver says:
Cheech: Hey! Double bubble! Come on, baby! I'll give you a ride!....Hey, you ain't a chick!
Chong: Yeah, I know. That's the only way I can get anybody to stop.
Cheech: Hey, that's false advertising, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h79syNcZo6A

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:40:06 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
If the title actually read, "At Least One Gamer Died At Sony Because Of A Small, But Misleading Vita Description", that would have been a much more interesting story!

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:41:03 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
I could never imagine having even 4,000 songs...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 3:42:24 PM PST
DVvM says:
What I don't get is if the Vita has a software limit on 4000 songs, how did the person writing the copy (or the person approving the copy) not know about this? If you make a claim on the packaging "does this" is there no engineer-liason you can ask "does it actually do that"?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 3:43:22 PM PST
DVvM says:
My primary iTunes library has over 16,000 songs in it, and I haven't even ripped all of my CDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 3:44:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 3:44:19 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
You're crazy man, how can you ever listen to all of that?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:46:52 PM PST
K Archer says:
I think I have about 100-300 songs on my MP3 player...yeah, I'm boring lol. Think I listen to only 50 or 60 too...

So yeah...even 1000 is just a crazy amount for me...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 3:53:23 PM PST
DVvM says:
Shuffle is kinda useless with those numbers, to be honest. The odds of finding what you want to listen to right now are pretty bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 3:53:33 PM PST
Joel H. says:
You so crazy archer! you should be burning all your nu metal from the 90's to your itunes! That's what people do!

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 3:54:01 PM PST
The guy definitely should have bought an MP3 instead of that 2nd Vita card. Using the Vita as a music player is a joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:05:53 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think the idea is "I want to carry around the Vita, I don't want to carry around the Vita and an MP3 player."

We've all got a limit for the number of electronic devices we're willing to carry around with us in our pockets, purses, bags, whatever.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:09:53 PM PST
Zeus Carver says:
The Vita is really heavy and awkward if you're trying to exercise with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:32:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 4:33:02 PM PST
Why? Music Unlimited works great on it. Better than my IPhone5 version of MU
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions