Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel - Hands On!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 4:17:30 PM PDT
Army of Two: The Devils Cartel - Hands On

With this generation of consoles we saw a slew of new ideas brought to the forefront, but few as big as co-op being implemented in widespread cases rather than a genre specific sort of deal. Army of Two, developed by EA Montreal, has been a prime example of crafting a game that relies on teamwork and makes it clear from the title. The latest entry in the franchise, The Devil's Cartel, built on the engine Battlefield 3 made famous, and developed with the help of Visceral games studio, the folks who brought you such classics as Dead Space or the slightly less well received Godfather games, aims to recapture the magic that made the concept fun to begin with. Bringing a tighter focus to the action while maintaining the multi-optional approach the game is known for, is this Army of Two installment shaping up to be the final fist bump, or does this new duo bring enough to the table to keep the franchise going?

From the onset it is clear that they had a huge budget for this game. If the fact you've been seeing ads for it since Christmas wasn't enough, surely the moment you see the level of detail put into this small army's tale will get you excited for what is sure to be a wild ride. The main menu gives basic options to enter the game or jump into customization, but the level of effort truly put into the customization system this time is absolutely stunning. Not only are there far greater options to create the exact arsenal you want, but the tiered system of leveled unlocks allows for a better sense of weapon introduction, and the very welcome feature to try each upgrade before investing is a welcome change from many shooters around now days, even if its something as minuscule as a small accuracy bump, the game delivers impressively well. Additionally, the fully customize-able masks take on a Forza Motorsport angle of full paint job customization, and much to my discontent, this feature was omitted from the demo version of the game, but does give you a brief look at what you will be able to get into.

The game is running on the Frostbite 2 engine, which for most won't sound special, but Frostbite 2 is a beautiful piece of work, rendering the drug war torn environments beautifully, and sporting some of the most refined lighting and physics the co-op shooter has ever seen. The effort put into making the guns and other weapons sound great is significantly notable too, delivering some cringe worthy moments when you swing your combat knife into a guys neck, or the first time you truly utilize environmental take-downs to their ability. The crisp in engine cinematics are also quite breathtaking if you take a moment to forget the last dozen times you saw a chopper go down in not so near beautiful a fashion. Rather or not you are good at managing multiple enemies on screen at once is key- and the AI here is vastly improved over either previous game, delivering truly thoughtful movements to keep you struggling to survive.

The portion I played was a level well into the game, in which you and your partner must break up the Cartel party with whatever method you choose, granted it is available to you. Wanna run and gun? Go ahead, skillful players may be able to pull it off with backup, but the game is equally able to be tackled from the cover shooting approach. Gone is the aggro meter from the last 2 games, now instead demanding the player pay attention to the battlefield rather than simply play based on a gauge filling up at given times. The new angle is both more challenging and surprisingly well executed, resulting in some of the most brilliant firefights I've had a chance to enjoy. The levels are linear as can be, only allowing branched paths at predetermined points, usually before large group encounters. This is easily looked past however, due to the franchises nature of allowing many different methods to fend of each oncoming attacker. While the chapters seem to have been broken up into more easily enjoyed short runs, the game makes up for this fact by seemingly offering upwards of 40+ missions in the main campaign.

Thankfully, the developers chose to focus their entire efforts on the campaign, offering little in the way of Multiplayer, but with a market so saturated with first and third person shooters, It is almost looked on as admirable that a game would voluntarily omit it in favor or a better story experience. I can personally say as someone who felt the 40th day was more of a step on the way to a sequel, this truly comes off as what a co op shooter is supposed to feel like, and I can happily say it has fought it's way back into my planned purchases. With that, keep an eye out for a full review down the road, but for now don't hesitate to enjoy the demo as many times as you want!

Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel launches March 26 2013 for Xbox360 and PS3.

+Demo now available on Xbox LIVE and PSN.
(full post can be found here - goo.gl/g0PGd)
Army of TWO The Devil's Cartel

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 4:20:38 PM PDT
Im downloading the demo now. I am looking forward to this game since my wife and I can play together.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 4:20:40 PM PDT
I thought this was going to be bronco... I thought the vgf had a general consensus that this series is crap and should not be mentioned

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 5:03:48 PM PDT
I had a pretty good idea in my head the series was played out but the parts I played restored that glimmer of hope inside me for a seriously fun adventure, despite the insane ad campaign for the title.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 5:04:11 PM PDT
Who buys these games?! Why has it become a trilogy?!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 5:04:33 PM PDT
The Co-Op is handled especially well here, even more so than the previous 2 titles that did a great job with the Aggro system.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 5:06:19 PM PDT
Lots of people buy them for the co op experience. I love single player games most, but i LOVE the occasional night with a buddy running through a game along side them, and especially so when its built around the concept entirely. The new game follows a whole new duo, so not necessarily a trilogy, and to be honest id bet EA is already working on a 4th due to the insane amount of time and money clearly put into this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 5:22:04 PM PDT
This is the first I've ever heard anyone say a positive thing about the series. Ever. Maybe it'd be fun on two players, but I just find it crazy that a series that no one ever talks about is on its third installment.

Nothing can beat the co-op experience of Earth Defense Force 2017 though. Nothing.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 5:32:04 PM PDT
Horowitz says:
This game's gonna be so mediocre.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:08:53 PM PDT
As someone who seems to be writing some decent reviews it surprises me you'd just write it off like that. If that's the impression you got before the demo, as i had as well, you should really check it out. Shining star by no means, but a perfected army of two experience perhaps yes.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:10:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 6:12:20 PM PDT
EYEL1NER says:
Nice; I am looking forward to it. The first two games were not THAT good, but were fun on co-op with a buddy over at my house. I prefer to play games by myself, but couch co-op was good enough in the first game to get me to buy the second game and both Kane and Lynch games to play with my buddy.
If only Kane and Lynch was as fun...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:10:51 PM PDT
I'd liken it to a call of duty for those who don't want to play with a bunch of kids yelling ridiculous things at the top of their lungs- Refined shooting fun that delivers little in way of narrative but continues to draw you in with its pacing and fun mechanics.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:14:05 PM PDT
Never played it. Perhaps one should create a poll asking about how they feel about the Army of Two series.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:16:16 PM PDT
I'm sure they're decent games, nothing terrible, nothing great, but I just am pretty amazed it's a good enough seller for a third one. Just one of those weird disconnects to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 2:29:02 AM PDT
EYEL1NER says:
Decent is how I would describe them too. They are competent third-person-shooters.
I want it and will get it, but not at full price.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 4:27:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 4:28:16 AM PDT
waxc3 says:
saw the demo last night. was busy with new dlc and didnt have anyone to play with (demo is coop only).
i liked the first two games. played through both of them twice.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:59:29 AM PDT
Scratchy says:
Played it last night and surprised at how much it looks and feels like BF3. If you don't want to play online you can choose a bot partner which surprisingly doesn't annoy me as much as previous AI's ive had the displeasure of playing with. Definitely looks like something id like to play coop someday.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: HoneyMoons 37 2 minutes ago
Weekend recap and weekly gaming - week of 9/22 51 3 minutes ago
Bayonetta 1 Wii U vs Xbox 360 comparison 71 13 minutes ago
Bloodborne looks incredible 37 15 minutes ago
Just finished New Vegas... 57 16 minutes ago
OT: Autumn, the best season, has arrived 32 21 minutes ago
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 3605 24 minutes ago
OT: PSA - Pink Floyd "Endless River" new album now up for pre-order 51 24 minutes ago
OT: Woman gets an extra breast to become less attractive? 21 25 minutes ago
Ryse: Son of Rome - PC vs. Xbox One Graphics Comparison 11 27 minutes ago
Fairy Fencer F Out Today 58 33 minutes ago
OT: Third Boob is FAKE 7 33 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions