Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dad hacks Windwaker for his daughter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 78 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 11:39:27 AM PST
To make the protagonist a girl:

http://exple.tive.org/blarg/?p=3274&buffer_share=b4e6a&utm_source=buffer

Maya and I have been playing through Windwaker together; she likes sailing, scary birds and remembering to be brave, rescuing her little brother and finding out what's happening to Medli and her dragon boat.

She's the hero of the story, of course.

It's annoying and awkward, to put it mildly, having to do gender-translation on the fly when Maya asks me to read what it says on the screen. You can pick your character's name, of course - I always stick with Link, being a traditionalist - but all of the dialog insists that Link is a boy, and there's apparently nothing to be done about it.

Well, there wasn't anything to be done about it, certainly not anything easy, but as you might imagine I'm not having my daughter growing up thinking girls don't get to be the hero and rescue their little brothers.

END QUOTE

Father of the Freaking Year right there.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:42:45 AM PST
LogJam says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:43:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:44:59 AM PST
Is there a good Hunger Games video game? One the quality of Windwaker?

Kids do like video games, you know (even girl-kids.)

Personally, I'd like it if more video games for which the gender identity of the Protagonist is not plot critical (which is many, many games) to have a "you can play as a boy or a girl." option. Take a lesson from Costume Quest, ladies and gentlemen.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:44:30 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I wish I could figure out how to get Dophin to work, I so want to play WW in HD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:45:03 AM PST
''It's tough translating everything on the fly, for instance, Link becomes Linka, and that's tough to remember.''

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:46:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 12:07:19 PM PST
JWK says:
lol

And if I knew all I had to do for my daughter to be father of the year was hack a game in some mildly symbolic "breaking down convention!" way, I'd have done it long ago. It's certainly easier than working 11 hour days to provide her food and shelter and... you know... raising her.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:52:35 AM PST
So when do N's lawyers show up to serve him papers?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:53:42 AM PST
LogJam says:
I think it's a rite of passage for every child to think that Link's name is Zelda and that he is a chick, then find out that's not the case and feel weird in the pants.

And that's the story of my first kiss.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:55:36 AM PST
He should hack it so the female character can learn to make a Sammich, instead of wielding a Sword.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:55:44 AM PST
This is perhaps more effective when your pre-literate child is playing the original Legend of Zelda and not one of the later ones that have a lot of text that make this pretty clear from the beginning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:56:32 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I rewrote the book, Are You My Mother? to be Are You My Father? by adlibbing and drawing mustaches on all the animals so my son could learn that men could be adequate parents, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:59:10 AM PST
LogJam says:
I know, right! At least you don't have to explain to your daughter why everyone refers to her as a boy. I hope. That's just opening up a whole transgender-based conversation that's best left for internet strangers to straighten (ha!) out

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:07:12 PM PST
LogJam says:
No child of mine will ever play a Zelda game until they can explain to me why wearing a hat that looks like a used condom makes them not look like a kickass dude.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:15:12 PM PST
Sexist

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:18:16 AM PST
I know I'm not the only one who used to think that Link was Zelda. This poor girl is going to be so confused about her societally-dictated gender identity!

Kidding, of course. This is awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:24:27 AM PST
It's called role playing for a reason...

anyway, I think it's cool that this guy was able to get "mission accomplished" hanging on his living room wall just for his daughter.

that's one ultra-sheltered kid though!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:14:56 AM PST
Goosifer says:
That joke is just plain shit.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:29:32 AM PST
B. Frantz has already been kicked off of Halo 4's servers.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:38:54 AM PST
There are plenty of games where you can be male or female. Link is an iconic character. I suppose this father also hacked Super Mario Brothers so that Peach rescues Mario... Cause, you know princesses can save fat plumbers too!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:09:12 AM PST
exactly!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:55:03 AM PST
Nicos says:
Why can't we have a female Link anyway? "The Hero of Time" is a gender-neutral title.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:13:47 AM PST
They tried that already with Final Fantasy. That turned out badly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:24:46 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
You can play Peach in Super Mario Brothers 2.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:24:49 AM PST
Bobbum Man says:
Good for him, great parenting.

But it doesn't mean everything has to be gender equal as far as entertainment. If the developers want a male protagonist why make them add the option for a female lead as well?

Should we release 2 versions of books and movies too so each can have a male and female lead?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:57:41 AM PST
Hmmm....I don't know about this. On one hand, it's super sweet of him to do that for his daughter and his heart is obviously in the right place. On the other hand, the role of a story is to put you in someone else's shoes, to learn a lesson or experience a situation outside yourself. I wouldn't want my (admittedly hypothetical) son to have a copy of Spirited Away where Chihiro was replaced by a boy.

However, there is a certain bias in video games towards having either male characters or ridiculous female characters. I think until we get a healthy amount of strong female characters in gaming then this sort of thing is ok. I just don't want to live in a world where the only characters that exist are blank slates waiting for someone to imprint themselves onto them. If there's one thing everyone in this world can use, it's more perspective, and what are stories if not a rare chance to don someone else's?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions