Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Anyone know how the transfer process for games and sava date from the Wii to Wii U is going to work?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 5:42:44 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I believe information has been released about the process but I can't access any of the sites from work. I have almost everything loaded on an SD card on the Wii (some stuff just can't be stored on an SD card) but from what I read you need both consoles. I also believe it wipes the SD card before transferring. I'm assuming I'll need to transfer stuff over to the system storage before beginning the process.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:43:45 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/07/wii-to-wii-u-data-transfer-explained/&sa=U&ei=_UKmUJrVI4670AGGt4DgAQ&ved=0CB4QFjAC&usg=AFQjCNGU_B2dDy_5pnPsjAaF6FYLl7FEYA

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:44:18 AM PST
Nicos says:
it involves lasers

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:44:24 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Would you mind posting the article?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:44:52 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I sure hope so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:48:12 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Blocked. Best I can do from here.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:48:53 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
It sounds insanely complicated. I'm not even going to bother doing it this weekend. I'll wait until I get the urge to play Xenoblade again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:59:42 AM PST
KrisCo says:
After spending some alone time with our Wii U review unit, we've flipped through the manual and learned exactly how you'll be able to move all your precious Wii data over to a new Wii U.

The process is a bit complicated. An SD card (with at least 512MB of free space) must first be inserted into the Wii U, after which the system transfer option can be selected from the Wii U menu. The SD card is then moved to the Wii, where a "transfer application" is downloaded from the Wii Shop. Said app moves all of the Wii's data (save for pre-installed software) to the SD card. Once that's done, the card is popped back into the Wii U and, finally, the data is transferred to the new console.

Both the Wii and Wii U must be connected to the internet - presumably to verify the associated Wii user - and connected to a TV, meaning you'll either have to swap TV inputs or swap cables during the process. Data transferred includes WiiWare and Virtual Console games, save data for all games, DLC, Wii Points and Miis.

Once the transfer is complete, that's it. All data will be deleted from the Wii and moved to the Wii U, after which the data on the SD card is also erased. Data cannot be transferred from a Wii U to a Wii. We'll have a detailed video of the process for you when the Wii U officially launches later this month.

That's the article.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:01:57 AM PST
M. Lewis says:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/07/wii-to-wii-u-data-transfer-explained/

After spending some alone time with our Wii U review unit, we've flipped through the manual and learned exactly how you'll be able to move all your precious Wii data over to a new Wii U.

The process is a bit complicated. An SD card (with at least 512MB of free space) must first be inserted into the Wii U, after which the system transfer option can be selected from the Wii U menu. The SD card is then moved to the Wii, where a "transfer application" is downloaded from the Wii Shop. Said app moves all of the Wii's data (save for pre-installed software) to the SD card. Once that's done, the card is popped back into the Wii U and, finally, the data is transferred to the new console.

Both the Wii and Wii U must be connected to the internet - presumably to verify the associated Wii user - and connected to a TV, meaning you'll either have to swap TV inputs or swap cables during the process. Data transferred includes WiiWare and Virtual Console games, save data for all games, DLC, Wii Points and Miis.

Once the transfer is complete, that's it. All data will be deleted from the Wii and moved to the Wii U, after which the data on the SD card is also erased. Data cannot be transferred from a Wii U to a Wii. We'll have a detailed video of the process for you when the Wii U officially launches later this month.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:05:12 AM PST
M. Lewis says:
What is not clear is what about when most of my downloaded games are already on a different SD card? There is not enough room on the Wii to transfer them all back over for this transfer. Can it be done more than once?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:09:13 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
That is my main issue/question as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:12:46 AM PST
Ice King says:
Thanks. That sounds like a pain. I'm debating whether or not it's worth it. I don't have many virtual console games, and I haven't played any of them in a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:15:25 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
"Both the Wii and Wii U must be connected to the internet - presumably to verify the associated Wii user - and connected to a TV, meaning you'll either have to swap TV inputs or swap cables during the process. Data transferred includes WiiWare and Virtual Console games, save data for all games, DLC, Wii Points and Miis."

Oh! IGN made it sound like they had to be tethered together at the same TV. That'll make it easier.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:16:59 AM PST
M. Lewis says:
From the comments under the article

"For those who have games currently on SD cards. It sounds like you could delete all your games off of your Wii, but keep all of your saves. Then when you do the Wii -> Wii U transfer, it will transfer all of your game saves and all of your licenses. Then you can download all of your games from the eshop to the much bigger memory of the Wii U without ever having to delete them again."

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:02:36 AM PST
Benpachi says:
This sounds entirely too complicated, glad I'm waiting a few months to get one of these so other people can be the guinea pigs.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:13:54 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I'm considering canceling my preorder at Walmart. Not because of this but just because I don't feel I really need another console right now. I'll likely get one after Christimas with some gift cards and the $50 Amex credit when you spend $100 at Best Buy that I got from the Halo 4 promotion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions