Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: What's going to happen to Spider-Man?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:42:08 PM PST
Anthony says:
lol, well, there's also been two separate series called New X-Men.

not really sure why my last post was deleted.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 3:50:59 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
over on Fark.com they've been pointing out that if Spidey-Ock sleeps with Mary Jane, it'll be rape-by-deception. =/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 3:44:12 PM PST
I read some of the New X-Men a while back ago, but pretty much have no idea who these characters are expect for X-23.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:02:36 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 27, 2012 12:17:04 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:59:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:01:12 AM PST
I'm a HUGE spidey fan, and one of the few from the VGF that have been consistently reading spidey comics for the last few years it sounds like. I picked up #700 and read through it, and it left me with a sick feeling in my stomach, Parker deserves better than that. Also, I hope they don't bring him back. He's to important to be tossed around between life and death like that. As much as a Spidey fan as I am, they shouldn't do to him what they did to Jean Grey and every other character that has magically cheated death. I'm bummed out, and probably won't be picking up Superior, which is dissapointing.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:11:15 AM PST
Kruger says:
Spider-Man is the one character they botch over and over again.

Spider clone, him revealing his identity, losing his wife MJ in order to regain his secret identity, being reborn via spider egg sack, it's just an awful awful mess.

They refuse to leave him as just the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. They always try to make him into something greater, by adding some pretty awful elements to who and what he is.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:02:07 AM PST
LogJam says:
Good thing he didn't miss and accidentally get his mind implanted into Mary Jane's body. Being banged by Spiderman is probably really messy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:10:23 AM PST
blah to this. They killed off Rogers, as well, only to bring him back and retire him. I like ageless super heroes. Oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:28:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 12:37:39 AM PST
Anthony says:
lol. Fantomex is essentially a cheap feaux french deadpool, without the insanity.

Elixer AKA Joshua Foley was an Omega class Mutant and a member of the New Mutants Squad, than the New X-Men, in the New X-Men Comic. Icarus, AKA Joshua Guthries, little brother of Cannonball, was also a New Mutant. and an Emo little p.o.s. who caused the death of a lot of depowered mutants due to his own stupidity. Wither AKA Kevin something, was a New Mutant-Turned Hellion Squad member and a psycho who betrays them and joins Selene.

anyway, the last three were from The New X-Men, for the most part. along with X-23, Hellion, Rockslide, Surge, Mercury, Wallflower, and handful of other mutants. if i remember right, its actually the series where X-23 was first introduced in the comics.

Edit: and i realized that you probably have no idea what the hell those squads mean, lol. basically, New X-Men, was about the old X-Men teaching the next generation. the students were separated into squads, each with a staff advisor. Danielle Moonstar for the New Mutants, Emma Frost, the Hellions, Cyclops, the Corsairs, etc. mainly the series was about the New Mutants and Hellions. who wound up making the bulk of the core of the New X-Men team. the series was one of my favorites. before it was canceled.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:17:46 AM PST
I have no idea who those are. XD

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:55:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 11:56:51 PM PST
Anthony says:
its also got Fantomex, or something to that effect (another Weapon X survivor) and Elixer (my least favorite New X-Men.) in it.

Edit:
wait, no i take that back, Icarus and Wither are my least favorites, Elixer is my third least favorite

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:40:24 PM PST
Yes I have and that's kind of what I thought of when I read through the synopsis of it. Sure he's dead but he's not really dead. I mean they basically did the same thing as Beerfest minus Peter Parker having a brother! Never even occurred to me until you mentioned it lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:32:32 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:32:01 PM PST
Ah the Marvel Wiki didn't contain that, just said that Peter was uncharasterically narrating how awesome his day was going, getting Mary Jane back, and all that good stuff.

Still this whole story line comes off as incredibly lazy to me not really explaining anything and leaving Doc Oct in Peter's body, with his memories, and still basically being Peter Parker but with a slightly altered thought process. This reminds me a little of back when DC had all the different Earths and different versions of heroes, just seems like a gimmick to me and not one that I overly care to explore more.

They kill a character but still manage to keep that character around? Yawn.

@ Jason

I have a hard time getting behind this. I'm all for killing a hero and making way for someone else but this? This just feels like corner cutting 101.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:06:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 10:18:03 PM PST
DVvM says:
The audience knows about the change from the first panel.

The opening narration is:

"While attending a demonstration in radiology, high school student Peter Parker was bitten by a spider which had accidentally been exposed to radioactive rays. Through a miracle of science, Peter soon found that he had gained the spider's powers ... and had, in effect, become a human spider! From that day on he was...

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

... Until today. In a final act of vengeance, Spider-Man's greatest enemy, Otto Octavius, has traded places with him, trapping Peter's mind in his dying body. Now with what little time he has left, Peter Parker is...

DOCTOR OCTOPUS"

This is literally the first text after the cover and copyright page.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:59:18 PM PST
I saw the last panels.

Spoilers

Doc Ock is in Spider-Man's costume and he silently tells a departed Peter that he did not leave the world to a villain. That he will fight on and be, well, superior.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:54:45 PM PST
So I read the plot synopsis and all I have to say is "What the hell?"

SPOILER ALERT

Apparently nothing is explained on how this body switch was pulled off and the audience doesn't know about the change until the very end of the comic when Park dies in Doctor Octopus' body leaving Doc Oct to live out the rest of his days as Peter Parker. If this is indeed true (I haven't read the actual issue just the summary which stated it was never explained) then comes off as incredibly lazy to me and horribly anticlimactic as there is no build up or anticipation until the very end then you're left with nothing other than Peter Parker is dead.

I have a hard time buying into this story line or even caring at this point. The idea of Doc Oct donning the Spider-man mantle was interesting but his mind being in Parker's body, keeping all his memories, and basically being him just makes Peter Parker's death seem incredibly pointless because he's still basically Parker but now with a little devil sitting on his shoulder that is Doc Oct.

Marvel this is incredibly lazy and rather gimmicky.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:30:08 PM PST
Might check that out. I'm a fan of quite a few of those characters you listed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:25:43 PM PST
Anthony says:
as far as newer stuff, what i've read of Uncanny X-Force is pretty good. its basically a hit squad put together by Cyclops and lead by Wolverine that takes out threats to the continued existence of mutantkind. some of the guys on the team include X-23, Warpath, Deadpool, Archangel, and Psylocke.

Beyond that, honestly i'm still catching up with the last 5-6 years of Marvel Comics, and other than knowledge i have from the cartoons and movies, my knowledge of DC is passing at best.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:33:26 PM PST
LMAO

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:25:20 PM PST
I don't think this is going to go over well with the fans. Remember the clone saga back in the day when Ben was going to take over the roll of Spider-Man after it turned out Peter was the clone. Readers flipped out and stopped buying.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:35:30 PM PST
It pleases me to see your hopes shattered.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:06:27 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:55:34 PM PST
Got question and it might be kinda off-topic, but I was thinking about getting back into comics. What is a good series to try and get back into?

I've always been more of a DC fan, but I do enjoy some of Marvel's stuff. I'm a big Batman fan and purchase the graphic novels once and awhile.

Suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:50:22 PM PST
I read that as REEE! (from Metal Gear Solid)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions