Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Best Hard Science Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:56:27 AM PST
If you like military sci-fi, check out stuff by Ian Douglas. If you like military sci-fi with politics, check out David Weber. Both are very technically-oriented in their fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:55:06 AM PST
"there is not a single hard science fiction video game available"

Hard sci-fi is not nearly as fun as pulp sci-fi when it comes to action.

That said, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_War_2:_Edge_of_Chaos#Physics

The game adheres well to the laws of Newtonian physics, realistically approximating the actual behavior of spacecraft; ships have inertia and take time to change speed and direction. The player's vessel is equipped with lateral thrusters that allow it to change facing while moving (e.g. face 'backward' while flying 'forward').

This has immediate effects on the game; for example, combat is often won based on how well the respective pilots can use their ship's inertia to best advantage, rather than who has the best weaponry.

The physical simulation applies to even weapon shots and missiles, which inherit their initial speed from the ship that created them: flying left and firing will create a bolt that goes straight from the firer's perspective, but to outside observers would seem to travel partially sideways. This behaviour makes it challenging to use weapons without the automatic computer-assisted weapon tracking behaviour.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:43:53 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Now you could probably correct me if I am wrong but Peter is not American and therefore he does not celebrate Thanksgiving. So, you might be waiting a long time if you allow him to "enjoy Thanksgiving."

However, I am sure he would be pleased to know that you are waiting patiently at the mailbox like a long lost puppy waiting for the pencil and/or book that will never, ever arrive. It sounds like a Lifetime Movie, starring Steve: The Man Who was Afflicted with Numerous Disorders, Waiting at the Mailbox for an Eternity for Validation.

I know it is a long title but I am working on it: Steve send me your contact information so we can prepare filming.

Mr Watts: We need a screenwriter. My agent will be in touch.

Quentin: You will be the angry killer on the loose. Why do we need a killer? Hell, every movie needs a useless subplot! You're it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:13:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 9, 2012 8:15:35 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 3:52:35 PM PST
On topic:

Try The Filth

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:51:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 4:13:20 PM PST
Peter,

Let me outline what this thread was originally about.

As someone who is new to the hard science fiction genre, your novels were the first I picked up. I ended up being a big fan. So when I made this thread, I was hoping to see if I could find more great hard science fiction. Most of the people on this board have diverse backgrounds and know a lot about many other topics besides video games. Considering your work is the only hard science fiction I'm actually familiar with, I obviously posted your work and raved about it (take it as a compliment, I really do love your books). Judging from what I got, I guess I'm the only one who actually is famliar with your work.

By the way, my twitter accounts confirms that I actually attend Arizona State University. I'm even following our State Press.

http://twitter.com/SNAFS01/following

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 3:42:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 3:50:10 PM PST
Peter Watts says:
I agree; it would be *really* entertaining if Heinlein or Asimov showed up. Short of a seance, though, that ain't gonna happen. So you'll just have to settle for me.

I actually *do* happen to be Peter Watts. I'll even prove it by making a quick post to my official blog. Never even heard of this Private Quentin dude, until I ran across this thread while ego-surfing.

I don't expect ol' Steve to take this seriously -- after all, I could still be Quentin posting under a different ID -- but if anyone else out there cares, you could always check the IP address of this post: it'll hail from a different node that Quentin's. Hopefully that will lay the issue to rest, at least for the non-tinfoil-hat contingent.

If you don't know how to track an IP addy through Amazon's firewalls, I don't know what to tell you. Except that if Amazon really *is* monitoring this thread (as opposed to some bot that reflexively deletes any post containing profanity, or whatever Quentin's post was deleted for), maybe they could weigh in and confirm.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:47:46 PM PST
jSten says:
This would be vastly more entertaining if Heinlin, Clarke, or Asimov showed up in person to push their books.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:52:23 AM PST
It's almost high noon. That gives you a little more than 5 hours of freedom here on Amazon. Use your time wisely Private(aka Peter Watts). That is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:35:36 AM PST
Sundown is when the world ends in your infantile mind, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:34:48 AM PST
Sundown...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:34:11 AM PST
ROTFL you are quite entertaining, Steve. I hope you stick around as long as possible. Who needs the discovery channel when a hilarious conspiracy theorist like you is here to keep me from doubling over in laughter. Up there with 2012 Doomsday theorists, I might say.

And you still have no substantial proof.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:32:32 AM PST
Homeboy, do you live in a padded room? How long do they let you out?

LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:29:51 AM PST
Time is on my side. For you(aka Peter Watts), your time may be short here on Amazon. Already, your filthy language is being delete here.

Like I said, you have until sundown partner.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:20:30 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<I read Cryptonomicon and frankly I got lost.>>

me, too. you won't have that problem with Zodiac, i promise. :)

/i don't recommend his "The Big U" though ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:15:24 AM PST
How much time do you have on your hands, anyway?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:09:07 AM PST
I don't know how you expect to make it on these discussions Private(aka Peter Watts). You gotta be tough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:00:29 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 8, 2012 11:04:40 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:59:35 AM PST
Chris... says:
Hyperion by Dan Simmons is another good one that comes to mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:57:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 10:58:40 AM PST
Thanks, will do! I liked Cobweb, an early book he co-wrote under a pseudonym. It's not really science fiction (it has been described as "mainstream, commercial, technothriller-type fiction.").

I read Cryptonomicon and frankly I got lost.

PS: Haha, Steve Ptasznik's "humorous" rants are being deleted by Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:54:45 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:07:05 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:42:53 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
If you like Stephenson, check out Zodiac. It's the novel he wrote before Snow Crash and doesn't get as much attention because it was present-day fiction.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:40:05 AM PST
Have you read any Neil Stephenson? I particularly liked Snow Crash and The Diamond Age.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:38:55 AM PST
Meatwad says:
It wouldn't hurt to say Blade Runner, would it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:34:03 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions