Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 746 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:25:26 PM PST
Anthony says:
this guy is an unthinking zealot incapable of rational thought. that, or a pretty good troll. either way i'm done with him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:25:54 PM PST
Mel says:
how are your morals for supporting games that teach kids violence?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:27:21 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Well, there's my point. Harm is not intrinsically wrong. And the point is that if absolute morals don't exist, how do you know that anything is wrong?

""Because God said so" doesn't suddenly make it something it's not. You don't think it's at all contradictory for God to tell us something is evil and turn around and tell us to do it?"

We aren't doing something that God previously told us not to do. Murdering is to kill somebody with out the moral authority to do so. Capital Punishment isn't murder just like putting somebody in jail isn't unlawful confinement. Moral authority is the issue here, and God's Word is the ultimate moral authority.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:29:49 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Good question. My opinion is that parents are responsible for what their kids play. Therefore, if kids play inappropriate material, the parent is at fault.

"this guy is an unthinking zealot incapable of rational thought. that, or a pretty good troll. either way i'm done with him."

Please, tell this unthinking zealot where you get your moral guidance from. Is there some absolute morality you appeal to, or is everything relative to the time and place you happen to live?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:30:33 PM PST
Look, the fact that the Jersey Shore psychic lady said spirits reside in heaven with God is reason enough for me to believe. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:32:05 PM PST
Mel says:
Well at least you have your own opinions. What is your opinion on the opinions of the men that constructed the Bible?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:32:22 PM PST
Lazer,
Instead of picking out one or two verses out of context, you should really read scripture(or anything for that matter) in its entire text.

"Those who profess the NT to be morally sound have obviously skipped over a good deal of it."
This sounds like it could be you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:34:43 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I'm definitely atypical in comparison to the average Christian. I don't even go to Church, and I enjoy the company of non-Christians without trying to brow-beat them with my views. In this forum I just wanted to give my opinion to the original poster's question, and it quickly turned into this.

As far as your question is concerned, I believe that the authors of the Bible were divinely inspired.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:35:33 PM PST
"I can't know God's purpose in killing children of an overall evil people, and I can only assume that it will work out for the best in the end."

If you cannot see the wrongness in this, then there is nothing further to discuss.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:37:28 PM PST
Actually, this is not a case of Godwin. Godwin only mentioned "glib comparisons" as being the ones that invoke his law. Using a historical example in a way that is not hyperbole isn't actually invoking Godwin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:37:45 PM PST
Mel says:
Do you believe any of the Bible had selfish or non divine motives?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:38:51 PM PST
"It will work out in a benevolent way, because God is a benevolent God."

Tell that to the murdered. Besides, empirical evidence (or, at least evidence that you believe to be empirical) suggests otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:38:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 12:45:26 PM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
"Well, there's my point. Harm is not intrinsically wrong. And the point is that if absolute morals don't exist, how do you know that anything is wrong?"

Give me a break. You know when you're actions are wrong.

If you don't know, ask me. I'll tell you.
Now punch yourself in the nuts three times. <---wrong. See, it's easy.

If you want to delude yourself about the choices you make, fine. But that's wrong too, and you know it.

Do your best to minimize harm, and don't sweat the dogma. All this time debating what is right and wrong, you could have been doing something helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:39:18 PM PST
Nightmare says:
If you don't want to discuss it further, that's no problem. But I would argue that you have no moral basis other than popular opinion and your own instincts from which to base your opinion that anything is wrong at all. Popular opinion in some countries is completely contrary to your views, so are they wrong or right? Are hardcore Muslims wrong for their beliefs about women even though the majority of their society agrees with them?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:39:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 12:47:47 PM PST
Harmicky says:
It's a shame that the members of the board here (with a few exceptions such as Guest) who are arguing against Christianity and other religions cannot present their debate without being combative and mocking and belittling.

Edited to remove careless oversimplification.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:39:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 12:44:10 PM PST
Steve,

Instead of skipping the bad parts and relishing in the good parts, you should view the Bible in it's entirety and analyze it with an objective mindset. I've read the Bible in full on 2 separate occasions, it never helped me to get over the many glaring inconsistencies.

....Where did I proclaim the NT to be morally sound? -_-

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:40:09 PM PST
I'm not sure in what way that would be morally wrong. Unless you want to argue, maybe, that the conditions the workers make such devices under are horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:41:21 PM PST
The thing that always gets me about people who believe like this: "Because God said so" is EXACTLY the same line of reasoning used by religious fundamentalists who blow themselves up to kill other people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:43:01 PM PST
Nightmare says:
No.

"Tell that to the murdered. Besides, empirical evidence (or, at least evidence that you believe to be empirical) suggests otherwise."

What empirical evidence do you speak of?

"Give me a break. You know when you're actions are wrong.

If you don't know, ask me. I'll tell you. Now punch yourself in the nuts three times. <---wrong. See, it's easy.

If you want to delude yourself about the choices you make, fine. But that's wrong too, and you know it."

I'm not saying that masochism isn't wrong, or that you trying to cause me harm isn't wrong. What I am saying is that you have no evidence that it's wrong apart from your own subjective opinion. Regardless if everybody in the world agreed with you, that doesn't mean that it's morally wrong. That just means that everybody "thinks" it's morally wrong. Without an absolute morality to appeal to, all you have is relativity and opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:43:25 PM PST
I stated my views on right and wrong. Unnecessary harm to another is wrong.

What is your moral basis? An ancient book full of genocide, murder, rape, and hate?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:43:30 PM PST
Mel says:
1. Deuteronomy 25:11-12
NASB

If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:44:36 PM PST
Agreed.

Surprised Foxy hasn't shown up yet.

However, just because someone disagrees does not mean they are "anti-Christian."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:44:37 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Nightmare, have you read A Refutation of Moral Relativism: Interviews with an Absolutist? If not, I think you should. It's an excellent and entertaining book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:45:15 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I'm not saying it is wrong. I'm just saying that I have no problem living in the present (such as buying a console for myself to enjoy) as long as there is no moral wrong in the activity (which I have no reason to believe there is). I might have worded my previous post in a confusing manner.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:45:39 PM PST
The empirical evidence in the Bible, obviously.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions