Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me 3 times, I'll still give you money: GODUS reached its funding goal.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 7:55:19 AM PST
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus

How the hell did this man raise half a million pounds for a Kickstarter?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:59:20 AM PST
Maybe people just wanted to save his marriage?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:18:49 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Maybe people think Peter Molyneux makes great games?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:21:55 AM PST
I like Molyneux, but I'm not sure how I feel about him using Kickstarter to get a game created. I find it hard to believe that someone of his stature was unable to get a game funded by a publisher yet still have complete creative freedom.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:29:03 AM PST
This was brought up in an interview he did with Joystiq. He said he is "by no means rich." I found that hard to believe, as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:31:13 AM PST
Actually it strikes me as being entirely consistent with his character that he's terrible at managing money, and even successful developers don't have huge salaries.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:36:06 AM PST
Good point.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:39:54 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
The amount of totally unwarranted spite and hatred that is thrown this guy's way always cracks me up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:43:06 AM PST
It's okay for you not to like him, Donnie. He doesn't make 360 exclusives anymore.

I don't think anyone here hates him. I certainly don't. I reserve hatred for people who do things a lot worse than failing to deliver on video game promises.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:45:52 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I've liked him ever since I played Populous many years ago. Your backhanded jab unfortunately doesn't change that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:50:15 AM PST
As I said, I don't see anyone here being hateful or spiteful towards him. It's okay to criticize someone for failing to deliver on things they say, and Peter Molyneux says a lot of really silly things. Criticizing him for that does not make someone hateful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:51:05 AM PST
I'm not particularly familiar with his work, but from what I've heard, whether you like it or not, it never lives up to what he promises. Over the course of so many years, even the most absent-minded developer learns to recognize that he's consistently overambitious; and that means that when he continues to oversell his ideas the way Molyneux does, he's effectively lying with no other purpose than to get people to buy his product who would not otherwise.

That makes him kind of a cad in my book.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:00:52 AM PST
As hard as this is to believe (I'm actually kind of shocked myself, because find him kind of annoying) this man made some really great games:

Populous, Syndicate (as producer), Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, Black and White, and the Fable games. I didn't LOVE the Fable series, but they were all very servicable action-RPGS.

He sounds like the kind of person who has great and innovative ideas pouring out of him, but none of the pragmatism required from a project lead. I can respect that as a failing. It's better than a lot of people in the industry that start by thinking about how much money they can make and then work from there. Like a lot of talented people, it looks like he should never be trusted with responsibility. He needs a disciplined and focused leader to properly channel his creativity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:21:47 AM PST
Sort of like an Ego to his ID?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:39:39 AM PST
Ha ha, yeah that sounds just right. Or a maestro to his prima donna :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:43:03 AM PST
To be fair, Populous was really good.

Black and White... had potential.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:48:35 AM PST
Mostly squandered potential, but it was definitely there.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:51:19 AM PST
AndrewA says:
I'm still waiting for BC to come out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:58:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 11:00:15 AM PST
It was enough potential that I would be willing to give Peter Molyneux another shot at making a "God Game". I mean, I'm not going to give that man money on Kickstarter, but I'm not going to speak ill of the game before it comes out.

This might be the genre he does best.

It's far from the most ill-conceived video game kickstarter in games in recent memory (that would go to "Black Isle's" Kickstarter to prototype a game that they will then fund via a second Kickstarter, participating in the Kickstarter gives you access to a forum... for $20 you can even post on it!)

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:10:23 AM PST
"Kickstarter to prototype a game that they will then fund via a second Kickstarter, participating in the Kickstarter gives you access to a forum... for $20 you can even post on it"

I think I'm having a stroke because those words make absolutely no sense to me. What kind of Mobius strip financing nonsense is that? At least Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns are looking good on the ol' CRPG front.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:12:14 AM PST
It's not even really "Black Isle" in any recognizable sense!

But kickstarting to produce a prototype and not even giving the prototype away to backers? Bad form.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:21:51 AM PST
A Peter Molyneux game is like buying a lotto ticket. You get to dream big about all the fun you're going to have while you wait for it to arrive, listening to his ideas and how much he's going to do with this title plus how it won't fall into the pitfalls of his past releases. Then release comes and you're so excited you can't wait to dive into this new world he's created only to find that much of what he has promised isn't there or not there in the capacity he had originally pitched but he promises next time they will be fixed and/or actually in the game.

With a lotto ticket you get to dream big about how great life will be once you hit it big and then once the numbers are announced you realize those dreams aren't going to come true but you hang onto them for the next time you buy a lotto ticket.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:35:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 11:36:19 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
That's a pretty stupid comparison.

With a losing lotto ticket you get nothing, with a Peter Molyneux game you get a fun videogame, even if it might not be the RPG revolution you were foolishly expecting.

Edit: I could understand this argument a bit after the original Fable, but now it's just played out and completely obsolete.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:37:22 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I keep seeing GLaDOS in the title.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:41:42 AM PST
I keep seeing GOBIAS as in "Go buy us some coffee."
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions