Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Next-gen consoles will struggle to beat PC, say industry insiders

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 84 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:52:22 AM PST
Your i5 2500k and HD6870(same one I have) will blow away their next gen lol. And like you said, instead of spending 400-500 bucks on a next gen console; you can probably get an extremely nice new gen i5 oc and a brand new high end gpu.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:52:55 AM PST
I gotta get out of here, the floor is getting awful sticky.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:02:58 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
It's absolutely ridiculous that both companies put so much stock into trying to cater to the multiplatform market just to have the best versions of multiplatform games appear on a rival platform. MS more so than Sony has all but relinquished the majority of their first party developers, furthering justification on totally skipping out on their next gen hardware all together in favour of optimal versions of the same software they incessantly advertise.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:05:42 AM PST
PC games are hitting another heyday with the likes of Steam, Origin, and other digital download services. I can't believe the giant load of dust on top of my Xbox360 and PS3 now. It's hilarious. I never thought I'd wear out another keyboard and mouse playing VGs on my PC again.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:08:22 AM PST
klopas says:
Now is a great time to be a PC gamer, and the way the next gen console hype is shaping up thusfar, PC gaming will be the way to go in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:43:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 8:45:26 AM PST
waxc3 says:
i HAD to play some games on PC when i was getting my masters degree in Instructional Technology. it wasnt as fun gaming on a console.

gaming on a handheld isnt as fun as on a console either.

i will never "move over to pc gaming" and not one person i am friends with will either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:48:56 AM PST
It wasn't as fun? Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:50:03 AM PST
waxc3 says:
not a fan of mouse and keyboard. though i did enjoy building things in the sims.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:12:29 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
See those controllers for the consoles on the shelves (excluding the WiiU at this point), they all work on PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:24:21 AM PST
waxc3 says:
no thanks. been happy on consoles since the mid 70s.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:58:45 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I do think, with the exception of Nintendo, if I decide to ante up for next-gen it will be via a computer. Computers are easy to build and reasonable in price. Graphics cards have HDMI outs and Stream is dirt cheap. I don't see myself ever getting a ps4/720. No offense to console gamers. I grew up on consoles and don't see the point anymore, except Nintendo because of their gameplay uniqueness. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:01:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:07:28 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Steam PC with:

Multitasking
Controller support
Friends List (Same peeps here you can also find on console)
Chat
Communities/Lobby
Free MODS
FREE MP
FTP

Hmnn... yea...today's PC IS a console, just a much better one at that.

I love consoles too, always have. I've just seen the light...95% of what they do so great...well, its no proprietary to them anymore. Your gaming PC can be a laptop, it can be a tower, it can be a mini ITX, it can be an HTPC case...it can be an Alienware console you can upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:03:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:06:15 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Yeah I agree. PC gaming is becoming more and more interesting to me. Historically I have been 100% a console gamer, because PC gaming was a nuisance. But Steam has really made things nice. I also hated KB/M for control, but now that PC supports the 360 controller... I really don't see myself every buying a 720/ps4. I bought a U because Nintendo offers many games that I can't play on a PC. The same isn't as true for Sony and Microsoft. Sure there are some exclusives, but not enough to care about. The vast majority of my ps3/360 lineup is superior on the PC and cheaper because of Steam. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:11:03 AM PST
I think it's the opposite, though. Consoles have become less-useful PCs. PCs have had most of those features for a long time.
They're just now dropping into the right price/performance ratio to make them more attractive to the mainstream gamer.

Generic PC to surf the web and, whatever else: ~$300-500
Console to play games: $250 (for now, who knows what the next gen will cost)
Total of ~$550-750
Building/buying a PC capable of playing games fairly well: ~$500-800
Why _not_ play on a PC?

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:15:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:20:45 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Yeah I built a PC for my wife this year. I spent $800 or so, maybe a bit less. I don't remember exactly. But it has a 3.1 quad core Sandy Bridge, 500 watt bronze rated power supply, 8 gigs of ram and has a EVGA 550 TI graphics card. I wouldn't be shocked if the system is already more powerful than the ps4. If not for a few hundred I could upgrade the graphics card and be set to go. I think Sony and Microsoft need to drop the graphics part of releasing a new console and focus on new gameplay ideas. The ps4 at best will be $400, plus my wife's PC can do more than just game. Steam is also dirt cheap. :)

Edit:
I just looked it up, I spent less than $650 to build the PC discussed above. As mentioned earlier it is a quad core 3.1 cpu, GTX 550 Ti 2 gb gpu and 8 gigs of ram. Good luck ps4. No offense, but I just don't see dropping big cash on a console again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:19:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:27:09 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I don't get the logic where a launch $600 PS3 , which resulted with a typical shelf life of 3 yrs before replacement, was acceptable ....while a $600 PC with dirt cheap games is not to those very same mindsets. $150 to get a PS3 serviced , could've bought you a midrange card to keep you cranking out high quality graphics for many more years on the same machine.

Thats not to say consoles didnt have their place THEN, because the PC space was kind of dreary in that time, just saying Sony already raised the roof on what gamers are willing to spend on a gaming platform...which by comparison is not as expensive as pretty capable gaming PCs today, with all the refinements that have occurred in the space and all...its certainly an appealing route with just as long 'lifespan' for most people all the while breaking the 'generations' barrier.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:20:58 AM PST
Stupid consolemites. They just don't understand the majesty that I bask in on the PC. Pathetic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:55:03 AM PST
This review was written by those on crack. The PC is dead as a gaming platform, it will never reach the heights it had ~15 years ago. Too many problems on a PC. I had a gaming PC for over 25 years. The good game Selections are console.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:59:02 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
25yrs?!?

Man most people stopped playing the Commodore 64 by 1990.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 11:07:24 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
The only things consoles have left are exclusives, and that's enough for me to buy one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:40:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 3:10:39 PM PST
LMAO....

Anyone that actually says and believes that moms/dads/uncles/etc are going out to buy their 15yrs or younger kids/nephews/grandchildren a gaming pc and actually believe that most 15yrs and/or younger know how to work on a PC is freaking hilarious.

Also the causal market is larger...pc tends to be more for the hardcore crowd.

Consoles arent going anywhere...lol

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 3:12:59 PM PST
"Anyone that actually says and believes that moms/dads/uncles/etc are going out to buy their kids/nephews/grandchildren a gaming pc and actually believe that most 15yrs and/or younger know how to work on a PC is freaking hilarious. "

I think this ignorant comment is hilarious, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:17:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 3:48:47 PM PST
You can think all you want but that doesn't make it true. Lmao...consoles are dying..lol.

Note: more consoles were sold (Sony/MS/Nintendo) in a shorter timeframe this gen then any other gen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:20:33 PM PST
How many PCs were sold compared to consoles during that time period?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:21:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 3:21:36 PM PST
"Also the causal market is larger...pc tends to be more for the hardcore crowd."

Source?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions