Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Rock Band is the best example of games as an art form

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 114 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:37:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 9:38:43 AM PST
DVvM says:
I refute your first proposition.

Letting something new into the art club doesn't invalidate past, current, or future art. A bicycle wheel glued to a stool has in the past been considered art.

In fact "a thing is being produced that qualifies as art" seems to itself refute the supposition that "art is dead." Since how could art continue to be produced if it's dead?

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:42:12 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
If Rockband is art, then Karaoke is art.
If Karaoke is art, then Japan produces more art than any other country in the world.
If Japan is the largest producer of art in the world, then they are undergoing a rennaissance.
If they are undergoing a rennaissance, they will have to wear period appropriate clothing.
Therefore, the most popular men'swear in Japan is Doublets.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:42:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 9:43:56 AM PST
Ann Perkins says:
"This game is art because I personally believe that some of the material in the game is art. Therefore it is the best example of games as an art form."

Thats the problem with the artsy types. They're all pretentious know-it-all schmucks. I guess we can't hate milli vanilli anymore, because their lipsynching was artistic.

I fail to see how this game is a better representation of games as an art form than a game like Skyrim. The musical score is artwork, the world design is artwork, the storyline is artwork. All of it original and created for the purpose of invoking emotion and response in the viewer. That to me is far more artistic than making an interactive audio CD of 20 year old hits.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:50:34 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
My use of karaokee is what is known as a counter argument. Both are people mimicking a song through visual queues on a screen. I argue that if you consider one art then you must consider the other art.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:51:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 9:57:53 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
One cool thing about art is the success of a piece is a two-way street. The artist first plays their role, but the individual interacting with the piece has to engage with it for it to truly be successful. Skyrim hits those emotional chords for you, making it a stronger artistic expression for you. Rock Band works for Kuchera, and clearly left a much stronger impression on him than a simple "interactive audio CD".

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:52:52 AM PST
Punk! says:
For the record I love karaoke and am as comfortable calling it as as I would be calling video games art. I think Pacino is a little hurt from the beating he took in the selling the WiiU thread.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:53:44 AM PST
The old man down the street once had me pose in the nude. Is that art?! If rockband is art, surely that is?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:56:25 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
haha, no I just think RB is a horrible use for the argument of games as art. There are so many critics out there that we need to show up with our big guns when defending games as art. I wouldn't think to show up with this as an example if getting into an argument with someone over if games are a form of art.

Also, I love kareokee too and yes. I did take a beating. But I thank the people like Mayo who actually answered my question instead of attacking me for admiting to being a scalper.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:56:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 10:01:13 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Well, karaoke is certainly a style of performance art. I don't know how it could be considered otherwise.

However, the difference between that and what's being described in the article is that in the case of karaoke, you actually have to be a good singer in order to get the kind of emutional satisfaction that's provided to anyone that plays Rock Band, regardless of whether they play on easy or expert.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:57:42 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
We are not going to help argue your court case on this forum. I won't be tricked by you pretending to be the victim in this story.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:01:03 AM PST
DVvM says:
Well, there are those who would argue that the essence of "art" is "deliberately and effectively evoking an emotional response."

Rock Band does this much more effectively through the trappings of the medium of video games than darn near anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:01:24 AM PST
I think you are confusing art with fart.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:59:33 AM PST
-1 for you! I am always the victim.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:20:54 AM PST
Ann Perkins says:
Why do you have to be a good singer to get emotional satisfaction from karaoke? Part of the fun, in fact, the entire reason that "karaoke" exists, is because not everyone is a good singer, and it can be extremely entertaining from all perspectives whether the person performing is "good" or not. So I would disagree Emu. One does not have to be a good singer to enjoy karaoke whether as a spectator or active participant.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:24:00 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
I, just....Rock Band as an art form?

Looking like art and being art are two different things. "Artistry" is an epxression, what is being expressed in Rock Band?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:24:40 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Lisa Turtle!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:25:30 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
This is how I feel, said in a much more succinct and pithy way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:25:54 AM PST
DVvM says:
Art generally exists (as art) to cultivate an emotional response from its audience.

Rock Band very effectively gets across the feeling "being a rock star is awesome."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:27:31 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Karoke _can_ be performance art, but then lots of regular things can be turned into performance art. This doesn't necessarily mean everyone who performs karaoke is doing performance art.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:27:44 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Since when has karaoke not been considered a form of performance art?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:28:42 AM PST
DVvM says:
Everyone who does karaoke in order to get a reaction from the audience is doing performance art.

Art ≠ Good Art.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:28:44 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Art is an expression by the artist - an emotional response can be one intended outcome.

Rock Band is NOT art.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:29:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 11:30:11 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Always?

Same way playing darts isn't art. Or doing the dishes, or...playing Rock Band.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:29:53 AM PST
DVvM says:
No. Art is anything two people think is art.

But generally it's something creative through which the creator intends to evoke an emotional response from the audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:30:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 11:33:28 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Yeah, rather than sway me from thinking of Rockband as art, he really just convinced me that Karaoke deserves the title.

Also, Pithy is my stock and trade.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xacf1cd8c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  114
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions